Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

would my parked car being hit in a parking garage make my insurance rate go up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-19, 12:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
What I mean is we're assuming a person has full coverage. I have always been tempted to cancel collision, but not comp. One, comp is not expensive. Two, it covers as mentioned, deer, falling trees, Things that I cannot really control. So stolen or hit and run, who cares other than I don't want a car with bodywork. We can't beat ourselves up if a thief hits us.
You said who cares if it stolen, that is different than if a tree falls on your car. If someone steals a car and smashes into your car, and it needs a big repair, your insurance will go up
Old 02-21-19, 12:40 PM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

1) insurance companies cannot charge you for an claim paid out that never paid out but based on your situation, it seems as though a chargeable claim payout is on your record.
2) you'd need to contact your prior insurance company and find out if there was a "chargeable accident" history and if so, why , who made the claim and who this payment was made to and who cashed the check. They should have a record of that.
3) you'd also need to contact the insurance co you are obtaining a quote from and request the "mvr" report if available and request the details of that quote so you can keep for your records to clear things up going forward.
4) collision vs comp. if a damage arose between your vehicle and another vehicle its usually covered under collision coverage. If you had the uninsured motorist on your policy, it would likely be paid through that coverage (had you made a claim)
Other than some phone calls and producing proof on your part, there's not much to be worried about.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-21-19, 12:41 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

From the police report it is on the record that your car was involved in an accident. The police, from your license tag, pulled your registration information which was included in their report. As is customary, when you applied for new coverage, the insurance company ran an MVR to obtain your driving record for tickets and accidents, and the report showed up. When the insurance company underwriter (or computer program) is scoring your application for new coverage, just the fact that you were involved in an accident affects rates.

If you have your coverage with an independent agent, or a company with a local agent that you know, I would suggest talking to them about trying to clean up the record since you were not at fault, did not file a claim, and really weren’t involved in the accident.
Old 02-21-19, 12:53 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You said who cares if it stolen, that is different than if a tree falls on your car. If someone steals a car and smashes into your car, and it needs a big repair, your insurance will go up
I disagree, that's the equivalent of hit and run. I could always be wrong, but I don't even care to research. If it happens, I'll find out at that time.
Old 02-21-19, 12:56 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by rmason
1) insurance companies cannot charge you for an claim paid out that never paid out but based on your situation, it seems as though a chargeable claim payout is on your record.
2) you'd need to contact your prior insurance company and find out if there was a "chargeable accident" history and if so, why , who made the claim and who this payment was made to and who cashed the check. They should have a record of that.
3) you'd also need to contact the insurance co you are obtaining a quote from and request the "mvr" report if available and request the details of that quote so you can keep for your records to clear things up going forward.
4) collision vs comp. if a damage arose between your vehicle and another vehicle its usually covered under collision coverage. If you had the uninsured motorist on your policy, it would likely be paid through that coverage (had you made a claim)
Other than some phone calls and producing proof on your part, there's not much to be worried about.

Hope that helps.
I totally agree, a person has to believe, if they didn't do anything wrong, don't listen to the, "OMG your insurance is so hosed, it's going up, maybe tripling." If they know from experience, well, take note of it. If they are speculating, then like you've said, contact the agent. I find this to be another area where the house will always win, be it through premiums and never paying out, or, not paying out when they should, or what have you. But why worry? There are so many other things in life that need attention.
Old 02-21-19, 03:27 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wasjr
From the police report it is on the record that your car was involved in an accident. The police, from your license tag, pulled your registration information which was included in their report. As is customary, when you applied for new coverage, the insurance company ran an MVR to obtain your driving record for tickets and accidents, and the report showed up. When the insurance company underwriter (or computer program) is scoring your application for new coverage, just the fact that you were involved in an accident affects rates.

If you have your coverage with an independent agent, or a company with a local agent that you know, I would suggest talking to them about trying to clean up the record since you were not at fault, did not file a claim, and really weren’t involved in the accident.
good info here, THANKS!
Old 02-21-19, 03:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
good info here, THANKS!
How much did your insurance increase by?
Old 02-21-19, 03:42 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

How much did your insurance increase by?
this is for a beater, 10 Focus, so liability only - went up about $150 for 6 mos. Quoted rate was about $250 for 6 mos before I input the VIN.
Old 02-21-19, 03:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

this is for a beater, 10 Focus, so liability only - went up about $150 for 6 mos. Quoted rate was about $250 for 6 mos before I input the VIN.
And did your insurance go up for your non winter beater?
Old 02-21-19, 06:15 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

And did your insurance go up for your non winter beater?
Nope, but its coming up for renewal soon!
Old 02-21-19, 06:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Nope, but its coming up for renewal soon!
So how did that not happen then to your other car? My insurance for my two cars is tied to me and my licence, same time same renewal. . Husbands is the same for his two. So how do you do one and not the other? Never heard of that.
Old 02-21-19, 08:54 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

So how did that not happen then to your other car? My insurance for my two cars is tied to me and my licence, same time same renewal. . Husbands is the same for his two. So how do you do one and not the other? Never heard of that.
Different state, different insurance company....I work in a different city than I live ..for an airline.

And they didn't have my driver's license info at all.

Last edited by bagwell; 02-21-19 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-21-19, 09:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Different state, different insurance company....I work in a different city than I live ..for an airline.

And they didn't have my driver's license info at all.
Thanks. That makes sense now.
Old 02-22-19, 06:22 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

With a few exceptions, auto insurance companies are taking rate increases after several years of losses, so an increase is likely anyway with current insurer.

Fortunately your situation was relatively simple, but had your scenario involved your other car and more significant damage, it could have been a can of worms. The result would depend on the car owner's coverage, the driver's coverage, and your coverage. For example, some policies (particularly nonstandard policies) only cover drivers named in the policy, some have low limits so if multiple cars are hit there is insufficient limits to repair all cars.