ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   would my parked car being hit in a parking garage make my insurance rate go up? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/912139-would-my-parked-car-being-hit-in-a-parking-garage-make-my-insurance-rate-go-up.html)

bagwell 02-20-19 08:30 AM

would my parked car being hit in a parking garage make my insurance rate go up?

So I had my car (2010 Focus beater) parked in a Holiday Inn underground parking garage for 2 weeks on vacation over Christmas holidays and when I came back to pick it up someone had hit it, doing minor damage to the bumper and cracked taillight which I replaced/repaired myself. 3 months later I got a letter from some insurance company saying the my claimed was denied which I knew nothing about. I called the number on the letter and they said my car had been hit by their clients car but it had been stolen so they weren't covering the damage to my car. No big deal.

So just the other day I was shopping around for liability insurance and got a great quote online but when finalizing it, the rate jumped due to an accident reported - I'm assuming from the above incident.

is this possible/correct? I never even reported it to anyone :confused:

EDIT: the local police were involved with this and that's how the insurance company got involved...I'm assuming.

Johnhav430 02-20-19 08:37 AM

I was always told no, for comp claims, collision claims yes, but I never reported anything, except glass. I did get a new windshield and I refused safelite and insisted upon Saint Gobain Sekurit with the mfg. logo, costing the insurance co. at least 5X more. Again, no change in rates.

Something doesn't seem right. Meaning, who cares if the other vehicle were stolen...

In PA, if you have a moving violation, 1, the insurance co. cannot raise your rates. What they do is remove your good driver discount, which, really is raising one's rates...

I would pursue it. You didn't do anything so imho your rates should not go up.

bagwell 02-20-19 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Johnhav430 (Post 10445607)
Something doesn't seem right. Meaning, who cares if the other vehicle were stolen...

ahh yes, never even thought about this -- the CAR is insured, right?? not the person driving it? or??
- stupid me - I trusted the insurance co to be correct (legally and morally).

Toys4RJill 02-20-19 09:53 AM

I think your insurance would definitely increase with a claim such as this.

bagwell 02-20-19 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill (Post 10445686)
I think your insurance would definitely increase with a claim such as this.

even tho I didn't contact the insurance co of the vehicle that was responsible???

link13 02-20-19 10:00 AM

If the OP is not claiming it with his insurance company, I see no reason why they insurance rate should go up.

Johnhav430 02-20-19 10:01 AM

I was always told, say you hit a deer. That's comprehensive, so rates do not go up.

Say a shovel falls off a landscaping truck and punctures your oil pan and you sustain damage, that's collision. rates go up......insurance gets us no matter what lol

bagwell 02-20-19 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by link13 (Post 10445695)
If the OP is not claiming it with his insurance company, I see no reason why they insurance rate should go up.

I believe when I input the VIN on the Progressive site the rate went up because it showed the local police reported it involved in an accident(?)

Toys4RJill 02-20-19 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by bagwell (Post 10445692)
even tho I didn't contact the insurance co of the vehicle that was responsible???

You said your claim was denied. What did that mean? This is very odd. Were you aware that there was a police report at all?

bagwell 02-21-19 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill (Post 10446345)
You said your claim was denied. What did that mean? This is very odd. Were you aware that there was a police report at all?

nope, no idea there was a police report - apparently the cops were chasing the car when it hit a couple of vehicles including mine and did the report, I never submitted anything to anyone - cops or insurance.

I thought some idiot just tagged my car when parking.

Toys4RJill 02-21-19 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by bagwell (Post 10446841)
nope, no idea there was a police report - apparently the cops were chasing the car when it hit a couple of vehicles including mine and did the report, I never submitted anything to anyone - cops or insurance.

I thought some idiot just tagged my car when parking.

Early you said you got a letter from some insurance company and it was denied. What did you mean by that?

bagwell 02-21-19 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill (Post 10446876)
Early you said you got a letter from some insurance company and it was denied. What did you mean by that?

yes, true - out of the blue I received the letter and had no clue what it was about - I had to call them to find out it was related to the above incident.

Toys4RJill 02-21-19 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by bagwell (Post 10446978)
yes, true - out of the blue I received the letter and had no clue what it was about - I had to call them to find out it was related to the above incident.

So, the other insured car very likely filed a claim. Your car was in the police report. One insurance company contacted the other insurance and so its now on record that your car was in an accident,

Toys4RJill 02-21-19 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Johnhav430 (Post 10445607)

Actually, you should care. If a stolen vehicle was to hit you, the insurance of the stolen vehicle will not cover you.

Johnhav430 02-21-19 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill (Post 10447021)
Actually, you should care. If a stolen vehicle was to hit you, the insurance of the stolen vehicle will not cover you.

What I mean is we're assuming a person has full coverage. I have always been tempted to cancel collision, but not comp. One, comp is not expensive. Two, it covers as mentioned, deer, falling trees, Things that I cannot really control. So stolen or hit and run, who cares other than I don't want a car with bodywork. We can't beat ourselves up if a thief hits us.