Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

would my parked car being hit in a parking garage make my insurance rate go up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-19, 08:30 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default would my parked car being hit in a parking garage make my insurance rate go up?

So I had my car (2010 Focus beater) parked in a Holiday Inn underground parking garage for 2 weeks on vacation over Christmas holidays and when I came back to pick it up someone had hit it, doing minor damage to the bumper and cracked taillight which I replaced/repaired myself. 3 months later I got a letter from some insurance company saying the my claimed was denied which I knew nothing about. I called the number on the letter and they said my car had been hit by their clients car but it had been stolen so they weren't covering the damage to my car. No big deal.

So just the other day I was shopping around for liability insurance and got a great quote online but when finalizing it, the rate jumped due to an accident reported - I'm assuming from the above incident.

is this possible/correct? I never even reported it to anyone

EDIT: the local police were involved with this and that's how the insurance company got involved...I'm assuming.

Last edited by bagwell; 02-20-19 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-20-19, 08:37 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I was always told no, for comp claims, collision claims yes, but I never reported anything, except glass. I did get a new windshield and I refused safelite and insisted upon Saint Gobain Sekurit with the mfg. logo, costing the insurance co. at least 5X more. Again, no change in rates.

Something doesn't seem right. Meaning, who cares if the other vehicle were stolen...

In PA, if you have a moving violation, 1, the insurance co. cannot raise your rates. What they do is remove your good driver discount, which, really is raising one's rates...

I would pursue it. You didn't do anything so imho your rates should not go up.
Old 02-20-19, 09:47 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Something doesn't seem right. Meaning, who cares if the other vehicle were stolen...
ahh yes, never even thought about this -- the CAR is insured, right?? not the person driving it? or??
- stupid me - I trusted the insurance co to be correct (legally and morally).

Last edited by bagwell; 02-20-19 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-20-19, 09:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I think your insurance would definitely increase with a claim such as this.
Old 02-20-19, 09:59 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think your insurance would definitely increase with a claim such as this.
even tho I didn't contact the insurance co of the vehicle that was responsible???

Old 02-20-19, 10:00 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

If the OP is not claiming it with his insurance company, I see no reason why they insurance rate should go up.
Old 02-20-19, 10:01 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I was always told, say you hit a deer. That's comprehensive, so rates do not go up.

Say a shovel falls off a landscaping truck and punctures your oil pan and you sustain damage, that's collision. rates go up......insurance gets us no matter what lol
Old 02-20-19, 11:06 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by link13
If the OP is not claiming it with his insurance company, I see no reason why they insurance rate should go up.
I believe when I input the VIN on the Progressive site the rate went up because it showed the local police reported it involved in an accident(?)

Old 02-20-19, 07:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
even tho I didn't contact the insurance co of the vehicle that was responsible???
You said your claim was denied. What did that mean? This is very odd. Were you aware that there was a police report at all?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-20-19 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-21-19, 09:16 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

You said your claim was denied. What did that mean? This is very odd. Were you aware that there was a police report at all?
nope, no idea there was a police report - apparently the cops were chasing the car when it hit a couple of vehicles including mine and did the report, I never submitted anything to anyone - cops or insurance.

I thought some idiot just tagged my car when parking.

Old 02-21-19, 09:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

nope, no idea there was a police report - apparently the cops were chasing the car when it hit a couple of vehicles including mine and did the report, I never submitted anything to anyone - cops or insurance.

I thought some idiot just tagged my car when parking.
Early you said you got a letter from some insurance company and it was denied. What did you mean by that?
Old 02-21-19, 10:59 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Early you said you got a letter from some insurance company and it was denied. What did you mean by that?
yes, true - out of the blue I received the letter and had no clue what it was about - I had to call them to find out it was related to the above incident.

Old 02-21-19, 11:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

yes, true - out of the blue I received the letter and had no clue what it was about - I had to call them to find out it was related to the above incident.
So, the other insured car very likely filed a claim. Your car was in the police report. One insurance company contacted the other insurance and so its now on record that your car was in an accident,
Old 02-21-19, 11:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Actually, you should care. If a stolen vehicle was to hit you, the insurance of the stolen vehicle will not cover you.
Old 02-21-19, 12:04 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Actually, you should care. If a stolen vehicle was to hit you, the insurance of the stolen vehicle will not cover you.
What I mean is we're assuming a person has full coverage. I have always been tempted to cancel collision, but not comp. One, comp is not expensive. Two, it covers as mentioned, deer, falling trees, Things that I cannot really control. So stolen or hit and run, who cares other than I don't want a car with bodywork. We can't beat ourselves up if a thief hits us.

Quick Reply: would my parked car being hit in a parking garage make my insurance rate go up?