Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Significant Price-Increases for the 2020 Ford Explorer.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-19, 07:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Significant Price-Increases for the 2020 Ford Explorer.

Ford has announced pricing on the next-generation 2020 Explorer, and, for the most part, it's get out your wallets. This article will explain some of the details.

https://www.motor1.com/news/305659/2...lorer-pricing/

2020 Ford Explorer Prices Reveal Increase By As Much As $8,000

FEB 16, 2019 at 12:00PM

BY: JACOB OLIVA, Editor

The range-topping Platinum variant almost reaches the $60,000 mark.

The 2020 Explorer is the most tech-laden, most advanced, and has the most impressive powertrain setup among the generations of the nameplate. When it was revealed at the start of this year, Ford said that the starting price of the three-row crossover would be $32,765, excluding the $1,095 destination charge. When compared to the pricing last year, it's just a $400 increase, which is quite expected for an all-new model.

41 Photos

While that pricing remains true for the entry-level trim of the crossover, Cars Direct has revealed the preliminary pricing of the 2020 Explorer based on the ordering guide – and it's something that buyers should be concerned with if they're eyeing the range-topping Platinum variant.

According to Cars Direct, the XLT mid-variant will be offered at $37,770, which is $2,275 more than the pricing of its predecessor in the same trim level. The Limited variant, on the other hand, increased by as much as $5,365 for a sticker price of $49,225. The hybrid engine option for the Limited wasn't mentioned by Cars Direct, but a report by Autoblog mentioned that buyers who would like to go for the Explorer Hybrid would need to shell out $52,780.

Know more about the seemingly expensive all-new Ford Explorer

Explore The Ford Explorer's 6-Generation LineageThe most shocking increase would be with the performance-oriented, 400-horsepower Explorer ST. Comparing it to the Explorer Sport last year, the new ST variant's asking price is higher by $8,115 at a price tag of $55,835. But of course, that price is handsomely paid for with the Explorer ST's wide plethora of features such as a 12.3-inch digital gauge cluster, trailer tow package, and Ford’s Active Park Assist 2.0 automatic parking system. And that's on top of the 400-hp twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter V6 engine.

The range-topping Platinum trim would be the most-expensive Explorer this summer, as it will be sold for $59,345, which is $4,085 higher than its predecessor's.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-17-19 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-17-19, 07:44 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Ouch...

But in Ford's defense, the vehicle appears to be of significantly higher material quality and fit/finish.
Old 02-17-19, 07:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Ouch...

But in Ford's defense, the vehicle appears to be of significantly higher material quality and fit/finish.

The last-generation Explorer, dating to 2011, was also significantly larger than its predecessors. We'll see how this new one looks, size-wise, in comparison.
Old 02-17-19, 07:51 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Has pricing been released for the aviator? I wonder how it compares.

EDIT: Aviator $51,100 to $87,800.

From what i have seen, explorers resale value drop quite a bit. In 3 years when they start coming off of leases, theyre will likely be some good buys available.
Old 02-17-19, 07:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ABC
Has pricing been released for the aviator? I wonder how it compares.
Yep.....here's the official Build-Your-Own feature on the Lincoln website. You can get a price for any configuration you want.

https://shop.lincoln.com/build/aviator/#/select/
Old 02-17-19, 07:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Ford now also has more information on the 2020 Explorer on its own website.

https://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/2020/

I have requests for, and plan, a full-review on the 2020 Explorer when it is released.
Old 02-17-19, 08:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I am not sure what the surprise is. The US dollar has been weakening and will continue to weaken. So Ford raises the prices on the top end. This is not a surprise.
Old 02-17-19, 08:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Dollar-weakening is probably not a factor. The American-market Explorers are built in Chicago, where they are generally not influenced by foreign currency. There are two other Explorer plants, one in Russia, and one in Venezuela, and (though I could be wrong) I don't think either one produces any for the American market. What will happen to the one in Venezuela, of course, with the Maduro-regime crisis, is anybody's guess. Venezuela's economy, for the most part, is non-existant any more, and currency of any kind is almost worthless.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-17-19 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-17-19, 08:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

It does not matter where it is built. What matters is that you cannot buy as much per US dollar as you could in the past. US prices have increased significantly

Funny enough, as tariffs on steel start to bite, Ford raises prices. These companies warned of price risings. Add in a trade war, more price rising.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-17-19 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-17-19, 10:44 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Likely will play out with the usual high discounts (factory rebates) after about 8 months of sales. But still too high in my opinion, as most new vehicles are becoming. Ford will likely offer an attractive lease, as I don't think too many purchase these in my neck of the woods.
Old 02-17-19, 10:55 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

About the only thing carried over from the previous Explorer is the name. This is an all new vehicle based on a RWD platform rather than the previous generation which was based on the FWD Taurus platform. Ford (and Lincoln) obviously plan to move it upscale to seperate it from the Edge and Nautilus so the pricing will be higher. The question should be does the value increase with the price. The new Explorer offers RWD dynamics, a more efficient use of space, and improved performance. Is this worth a higher price? I think so, and am considering an Aviator to replace my RX when the lease is up since Lexus has no competitor. You could always look at an XT6 if price is your only value.
Old 02-17-19, 11:26 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
About the only thing carried over from the previous Explorer is the name. This is an all new vehicle based on a RWD platform rather than the previous generation which was based on the FWD Taurus platform. Ford (and Lincoln) obviously plan to move it upscale to seperate it from the Edge and Nautilus so the pricing will be higher. The question should be does the value increase with the price. The new Explorer offers RWD dynamics, a more efficient use of space, and improved performance. Is this worth a higher price? I think so, and am considering an Aviator to replace my RX when the lease is up since Lexus has no competitor. You could always look at an XT6 if price is your only value.
Ford has to be careful with the above price-shifting. Before the Escape, the Explorer was established as the entry level SUV for the brand. It would be safer to keep it where it started, and let the other late-comers, such as the Edge and Flex do the fancy stuff with the fancy prices.
Old 02-18-19, 04:10 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Seems to be the trend where we are seeing more mainstream brands introducing more premium offerings from a build and quality perspective and hence the price hike, narrowing the gap with the luxury brands. Look at the new Pallisade and Telluride which will likely also be priced in the low to mid 50s in their top trims though from the pics of their interiors, stunning and worth every penny. This can give an opportunity to the luxury brands to increase their prices but with that, we as the consumer will expect a larger gap in tech/features, performance, and build quality than what we currently see today.
Old 02-18-19, 04:53 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

In marque which basically said no more non-suvs, I guess they have a reason to price these things the way they wanted. If it doesnt, next year we shall see a firesale on the top specs. This crazy spectrum of pricing is quite the new rage with Ford and Lincoln products. The new lincoln explorer is the same, the navigator same. Theyre basically covering all the bases like say BMW does a 3 series. Whatever variants dont sell, just axe them later (Better to be overprepared then under)
Old 02-18-19, 05:05 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I am not sure that pricing slows down sales as a direct relationship, because as long as the delta can be absorbed into a "palatable" monthly payment, it would be more about features and stacking up against the competition. Many people have no choice because at a given point in time, the lease expires on what they have now.

Quick Reply: Significant Price-Increases for the 2020 Ford Explorer.