Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Significant Price-Increases for the 2020 Ford Explorer.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-19, 05:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am not sure what the surprise is. The US dollar has been weakening and will continue to weaken. So Ford raises the prices on the top end. This is not a surprise.
compared to the canadian dollar and uk pound, us dollar's doing great.
Old 02-18-19, 05:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

and article's basically click bait because base pricing only going up $400 and this is a radically different vehicle (better in every way, imo) than the one it replaces.
Old 02-18-19, 05:22 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
compared to the canadian dollar and uk pound, us dollar's doing great.
I know I never adjust my per diem when I go to Toronto or Montréal, and it works out pretty good. Even with the taxes, little boys real hockey skates around $34 USD for Victoriavilles. Was around 1.32 last time I was there.* Not the 1.65 of my college years, that felt like monopoly money! We were tipping $10 CAD, on $23 cheques at Chenoys 25h! (the office told me it still exists but not in Brossard)
Old 02-18-19, 05:24 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

and article's basically click bait because base pricing only going up $400 and this is a radically different vehicle (better in every way, imo) than the one it replaces.
Again seeing what they've done to the Interceptor versions, if any of that comes back to the normal models, they are in fact huge improvements....
Old 02-18-19, 06:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't see how that takes it click bait, though. Most buyers do not get the base version....and some upper trim levels are increasing as much as 8K. If you prefer, then, I'll post an article from Motor Trend, an enthusiast magazine, which more or less says the same thing.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020...rice-increase/

2020 FORD EXPLORER WILL START AT $33,860

$400 more than the 2019 Explorer FORD

by Words: Collin Woodard

February 15, 2019

When Ford officially revealed the 2020 Explorer at the Detroit auto show this year, it had some big news. For the first time since the 2011 model year, the Explorer would be built on a rear-wheel-drive platform. It also added a hybrid version and replaced the Sport with the ST. At least on paper, it looked like great news, but we had to wonder how much the new Explorer would actually cost. Thanks to an email from Ford, now we know.

If you want the base Explorer, it will now run you $33,860 including destination, an increase of $400 compared to the 2019 model. That's not a lot considering the new base engine makes 300 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque instead of the old V-6's 290 hp and 255 lb-ft. You also get a 10-speed transmission instead of a six-speed automatic, which should mean better acceleration and fuel economy.

Upgrade to the Explorer XLT, though, and it comes with a much bigger price increase. Its $37,750 starting price is $2,275 more expensive than before. You do, however, get a number of features the previous XLT didn't offer, such as power-adjustable front seats, captain's chairs in the second row, and a total of four USB ports (two more than the base Explorer).

VIEW 162 PHOTOS

The next step up is the Explorer Limited. For $49,225, $5,365 more than the 2019 model, you get a number of extra features such as wireless charging, a surround-view camera system, and rain-sensing wipers. You can also add the hybrid powertrain for an extra $3,555, which comes with a 3.3-liter hybrid engine and 20-inch aluminum wheels.

The fanciest Explorer in the lineup, the Platinum, rings up at $59,345. That's $4,085 more expensive than it was in 2019, but you also get a 3.0-liter turbocharged engine that makes 365 hp and several more features. Finally, for the sportiest driving experience, Ford now offers the Explorer ST. Its $55,835 price tag is $8,115 more expensive than the 2019 Explorer Sport it replaces. But for your money, you get the Platinum's engine tuned to make 400 hp and 415 lb-ft of torque. There's also a quad exhaust, 21-inch wheels, a sport-tuned suspension, and more.
The Explorer's base price is higher than the 2019 Dodge Durango ($31,690) and 2019 Chevrolet Traverse ($31,125), but is somewhat in line with other competitors like the 2019 Honda Pilot ($32,445), 2019 Mazda CX-9 ($33,325), and 2019 Subaru Ascent ($32,970).
Old 02-18-19, 06:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Again seeing what they've done to the Interceptor versions, if any of that comes back to the normal models, they are in fact huge improvements....

Yes, I think that the police will like the fact that the new ones are RWD. That will make it at least a little more like their beloved Crown Vics. I have yet to talk to one police officer (or State Trooper) who thinks that dumping the Crown Vic was a good idea.
Old 02-18-19, 06:55 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Most buyers do not get the base version....
It was always my fantasy to get a base model of a vehicle, but an upscale type of car, to get all the underpinnings of a better car, at a price perhaps the same as a lesser model that had options. I never pulled it off, though. Was seriously considering that with a Maxima, and then the 335i. The Maxima had stick versions, model was GXE, selling for $16,995, in 1998. Instead, I got one with every option available, stick, for $22,700 (listed for $29,400). Were all those options truly worth more than $5k? Probably not. Since the 335i had to be ordered, I could have ordered it with zero options. It would have been $40,600. Once again, mine stickered for about $47k. The car already had 13 spk Harmon Kardon, adaptive HID standard, and an external oil cooler, so stripped it had features. Options worth it? I actually think the sport suspension which was like $1400? lol was truly worth every penny--staggered tires and big side bolsters on the seat for barely over 1k. But premium and cold weather, those are fluff. Today even BMW does not give a sport suspension for $1400, they wrap it into a more expensive package like the Japanese have always done.

I can totally see the human aspect of not getting things base, and optioning up....
Old 02-18-19, 06:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

If you prefer, then, I'll post an article from Motor Trend, an enthusiast magazine, which more or less says the same thing.
again, the headline isn't sensationalist:

and in the details, it's clear the 'increases' come with a lot more equipment so not shocking.

... Upgrade to the Explorer XLT, though, and it comes with a much bigger price increase. Its $37,750 starting price is $2,275 more expensive than before. You do, however, get a number of features the previous XLT didn't offer, such as power-adjustable front seats, captain's chairs in the second row, and a total of four USB ports (two more than the base Explorer).
The next step up is the Explorer Limited. For $49,225, $5,365 more than the 2019 model, you get a number of extra features such as wireless charging, a surround-view camera system, and rain-sensing wipers.

(etc)
I don't see how that takes it click bait, though.
looking at the original article headline, maybe it's just your thread title that's begging for clicks. maybe it should be "higher 2020 explorer trims get higher prices, but more equipment"
Old 02-18-19, 07:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

again, the headline isn't sensationalist:

and in the details, it's clear the 'increases' come with a lot more equipment so not shocking.

looking at the original article headline, maybe it's just your thread title that's begging for clicks. maybe it should be "higher 2020 explorer trims get higher prices, but more equipment"

OK, you're a mod....go ahead and change the title if you think that's a better description. I have no problem with that.
Old 02-18-19, 07:06 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Please, correct me if I'm wrong. But doesn't USA have a thing called "tarifs" going on ?

Especially on a range topper with lots of steel, this would make sense that he will become more pricey.
Old 02-18-19, 07:12 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Forgot to mention : Range Rover from the front/side, Toyota from the back.
Old 02-18-19, 07:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Benoit
Please, correct me if I'm wrong. But doesn't USA have a thing called "tarifs" going on ?

Especially on a range topper with lots of steel, this would make sense that he will become more pricey.
I don't know this for a fact, but it is reasonably certain that most, if not all, Explorers sold here in the U.S. market are American-made....so they are not subject to imported-vehicle tariffs. Some claim that the tariffs have increased the price of American steel that is used here for domestic-production. That is a claim that IMO has not been proved....but not entirely disproved either.
Old 02-18-19, 07:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Some claim that the tariffs have increased the price of American steel that is used here for domestic-production. That is a claim that IMO has not been proved....but not entirely disproved either.
How could it not be proven in the case of Ford or GM? They have said their costs of steel has increased because of the steel tariffs.
Old 02-18-19, 07:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
How could it not be proven in the case of Ford or GM? They have said their costs of steel has increased because of the steel tariffs.
Many factors go into the price increases (or decreases) of certain components or commodities. Businesses don't always get it right in their analysis. Neither do we here in Car Chat, for that matter.

This isn't the 1960s any more, either. Modern vehicles also use a lot less steel in their basic construction than they once did, and a lot more aluminum, plastic, composites, etc... especially plastics.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-18-19 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-18-19, 07:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Many factors go into the price increases (or decreases) of certain components or commodities. Businesses don't always get it right in their analysis. Neither do we here in Car Chat, for that matter.

This isn't the 1960s any more, either. Modern vehicles also use a lot less steel in their basic construction than they once did, and a lot more aluminum, plastic, composites, etc... especially plastics.
Huh? GM and Ford are both on the record, they said they lost money because of steel tariffs.

The CEO from Ford said, "The metals tariffs took about $1 billion in profit from us — and the irony is we source most of that in the U.S. today anyways,” Hackett said in an interview on Bloomberg Television. https://business.financialpost.com/t...lion-in-profit

Quick Reply: Significant Price-Increases for the 2020 Ford Explorer.