Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Would you buy a used Tesla?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-19, 11:41 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Would you buy a used Tesla?

I never buy new and have been kicking around the idea of getting an EV for us. I'm salivating over the pending Audi E-Tron GT, but again, since I don't buy new...it will be 2-3 years before I'd be in the market to get one so I may look at bridging the gap until that point. That being said, is anyone aware of things to be consider when looking at buying a used Tesla Model S (buying from Tesla, not a private party)? I know there are Tesla haters here who wouldn't drive a Tesla if someone gave it to them, so I'm politely asking for responses from those with neutral or positive outlook on ownership of Tesla that can provide insight on buying used. Anyone who bought a new Tesla recently look into buying used (for example, anyone looking at model 3 and comparing against buying a used Model S which could be had around the same price)? I'm seeing pretty reasonable prices for used P90's across the state. Taking the wife to see the Model S this weekend or next for her opinion - it would likely become her daily driver. I anticipate she'll love it, but I've been wrong before..!

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-25-19, 11:45 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

Since they changed from CPO to 'just' used, I've heard from horror stories about buying direct from Tesla. Apparently, they don't let you see the car in person until you put down a deposit, they're only willing to send you tiny pictures of the damage that exists on the car, and they take limited responsibility of the issues the car does have. If you're close to one and you can convince someone to take you out to see it, I'd consider it, but given how bad their spare part supply chain is right now, I'd be reluctant to pick up a used one because who knows how long it'll take to get a resolution on an issue
Old 01-25-19, 11:45 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

NOPEEEE

Go on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfV...t4SA/playlists

Guy documents his Model X experience.....ordered in October....3 months later he just got it after running

He also documents another experience where car was delivered and its been 3 months and no title....... SMH
Old 01-25-19, 12:04 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Allen K
Since they changed from CPO to 'just' used, I've heard from horror stories about buying direct from Tesla. Apparently, they don't let you see the car in person until you put down a deposit, they're only willing to send you tiny pictures of the damage that exists on the car, and they take limited responsibility of the issues the car does have. If you're close to one and you can convince someone to take you out to see it, I'd consider it, but given how bad their spare part supply chain is right now, I'd be reluctant to pick up a used one because who knows how long it'll take to get a resolution on an issue
Interesting and very helpful, thanks. I saw something about $2,500 deposits but didn't quite understand. I see on the details for some of the cars they come with a 4 year 50k warranty but I can't tell if that starts when you buy it...or if it's just part of the original warranty. So a 2015 car with 35k miles may only have a handful of months or 15k miles left.

I wonder why they don't post actual pics of the car or disclose more info? I'm a fan of quite a few things Tesla does but I don't really care for this - seems they should be more open and provide more detail like everyone else has always done..
Old 01-25-19, 12:07 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by coolsaber
NOPEEEE

Go on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfV...t4SA/playlists

Guy documents his Model X experience.....ordered in October....3 months later he just got it after running

He also documents another experience where car was delivered and its been 3 months and no title....... SMH
Hmmm... some of this (title) doesn't apply to buying used. I'll check out the vid. Out of curiosity, would you buy any Tesla (any model, new or used) or are you opposed to them in general?
Old 01-25-19, 12:09 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I'd consider a used one, if it came with a new battery
Old 01-25-19, 12:43 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Interesting and very helpful, thanks. I saw something about $2,500 deposits but didn't quite understand. I see on the details for some of the cars they come with a 4 year 50k warranty but I can't tell if that starts when you buy it...or if it's just part of the original warranty. So a 2015 car with 35k miles may only have a handful of months or 15k miles left.

I wonder why they don't post actual pics of the car or disclose more info? I'm a fan of quite a few things Tesla does but I don't really care for this - seems they should be more open and provide more detail like everyone else has always done..
I agree. I was looking at some used 100Ds in my area and the things I read stopped me from looking into it any further. Here's a pretty good thread on reddit about it. Also discusses some of the common issues that the S has as years increase

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors..._a_used_tesla/
Old 01-25-19, 03:58 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

I would definitely consider a used Model S. I don't care about AP2 since I'm not letting the car take complete control. Considering that a new Model 3 is realistically $54-60K, I'd much rather have a roomier, arguably better built, used Model S that still qualifies for free Supercharger access. Many Tesla owners take meticulous care of their ride, spending thousands more to nano coat their ride. I am very surprised how affordable a used Model S is, comparable to a same-year LS, maybe 10% premium. Hope you find the perfect one.
Old 01-25-19, 04:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I doubt I would buy a Tesla. New models are overpriced as it is. The same should be said for Tesla used.
Old 01-25-19, 04:53 PM
stasek
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

My friend flew to CA (from Chicago), picked up a used '16 Model S and drove it home (bought from private owner). He said he saved few thousand $ (due to price AND not having to pay full retail sales tax). I THINK he's happy - as far as I know, he hasn't had any problems with it.
Old 01-25-19, 05:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

[

That's a funny license plate LOL.
Old 01-25-19, 07:46 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Hmmm... some of this (title) doesn't apply to buying used. I'll check out the vid. Out of curiosity, would you buy any Tesla (any model, new or used) or are you opposed to them in general?
The videos are about used purchase direct from Tesla
The author of the video documents his used Tesla X purchase from start to finish, and a friends. For his friend his vehicle was ready for delivery faster, but is not legal to be driven since the used department has been giving him the runaround for his title to register the vehicle. Total time as an expensive paper weight 3 months and counting.

The authors vehicle 3 months after escalation, a couple roundtrip visits etc etc.

Author made some interesting observations:
Tesla no longer sells CPO vehicles, only used.
Tesla probably uses Manheim auctions in some capacity to source and store vehicles. They probably also are the ones who send you a dropbox link to the condition of the vehicle.
In an effort to make this the future of buying vehicles, Tesla basically shows you a stock Model on their website, asks you to pay a deposit of 2.5k to even get pictures of the vehicle.....exciting. Plus the pictures may not reflect all the damage the vehicle may actually have.
The video has a bit of more indepth of what the experience is like.

It sounds like I would hold off on even considering buying a Used Tesla from them if this is a normal experience. All owners I know dont have any experience with the process, just new, so its usually choose the options, and wait for pickup.
Old 01-26-19, 04:14 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I would shy away from buying a used Tesla without a robust extended warranty.

Old 01-26-19, 11:10 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by stasek

My friend flew to CA (from Chicago), picked up a used '16 Model S and drove it home (bought from private owner). He said he saved few thousand $ (due to price AND not having to pay full retail sales tax). I THINK he's happy - as far as I know, he hasn't had any problems with it.
Omgosh. How many stops at a charging station did they have to go?? I went to LA and back with my friend and we had to stop six times total about 40 min each.
Old 01-26-19, 11:59 AM
stasek
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Omgosh. How many stops at a charging station did they have to go?? I went to LA and back with my friend and we had to stop six times total about 40 min each.
Not quite sure, but it was roughly 2000 miles, so I’m guessing at least 8-9?