Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Cadillac XT6

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-19, 09:59 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

maybe some 90 yr old but a neighbor of mine must be close to 80 and has a kia soul and loves it.

another person i know is in his 80s, sold his avalon (3rd one in a row he had) and got a subaru outback specifically because it was higher and easier to get in and out of.
It's one of the several main reasons crossovers are now the most popular segment. Perfect entry height.
One you get used to sliding in and out of a crossover, sedans seem like a chore to get in and out of.

This also goes for head clearance. You don't have to contort your neck as much with the higher roof lines of crossovers. Especially for back seat entry.
Old 03-10-19, 03:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
It's one of the several main reasons crossovers are now the most popular segment. Perfect entry height.
One you get used to sliding in and out of a crossover, sedans seem like a chore to get in and out of.

This also goes for head clearance. You don't have to contort your neck as much with the higher roof lines of crossovers. Especially for back seat entry.

That's not because of being sedans per se. That's because the manufacturers simply won't build sedans with sedan-rooflines any more. Most of them are simply 4-door coupes. If we had sedans that were actually designed AS sedans, perhaps more people would be buying them.
Old 03-10-19, 06:05 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's not because of being sedans per se. That's because the manufacturers simply won't build sedans with sedan-rooflines any more. Most of them are simply 4-door coupes. If we had sedans that were actually designed AS sedans, perhaps more people would be buying them.
So, if we reverted back to the 3-box designs of yesteryear, more people would buy sedans? That's the logic?

Are the Lacrosse, XTS, Impala and Taurus designed as 4-door coupes?
Old 03-10-19, 07:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
So, if we reverted back to the 3-box designs of yesteryear, more people would buy sedans? That's the logic?
Certainly more taller persons would consider one. That's pretty much a given, and probably doesn't even need debate.

Are the Lacrosse, XTS, Impala and Taurus designed as 4-door coupes?
If you really want to look at the source, then go back to when the Mercedes CLS was first introduced...and, a short time later, the VW CC. Those were the two vehicles that generally pioneered the whole idea of Humpback-Whale 4--door styling and crank-your-neck roofline getting in and out. It was basically a styling fad that didn't consider rear headroom or ease of entry/exit, but much the industry grabbed onto it for the sedans (yes, including the three sedans you mention) simply because the auto press liked it. The auto press, unfortunately, has a tremendous effect on how vehicles are styled and designed nowadays....most of it is for the sport-oriented look and/or sport-oriented performance.
Old 06-22-19, 11:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Saw a XT6 today. Much better in public while on the road with other cars. Looks GX size as well. Interior looked like other Cadillac models which I don't mind. I think this new model will be a solid hit for GM, much better looking inside and out compared to a RX.

Was interesting to see the "400" on the right side instead of the engine size.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-22-19 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-22-19, 03:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Saw a XT6 today. Much better in public while on the road with other cars. Looks GX size as well. Interior looked like other Cadillac models which I don't mind. I think this new model will be a solid hit for GM, much better looking inside and out compared to a RX.
Nobody seems to have posted any significant interior shots yet, so I will. The dash is very impressive...at least in the image. But I've learned, over the years, that images don't tell you everything...especially concerning the material quality underneath.

Old 06-23-19, 08:43 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

The interior photo lighting is harsh, probably an iphone. It is much better in person. It is similar to my XT4 and the refreshed 2020 XT5.

Since as Jill points out nobody else owns a Cadillac in this forum but me I'll point a few things that make a difference for me.

The key points are the touch screen is incorporated into the dash not an ipad velcroed to the top of the dash as many do these days. The large dial on the console controls the screen as an alternative to touch.(no touchpad!) The small dial behind the sifter is the radio/audio control for on/off and volume. For wireless charging you just slide your phone into a pocket in front of the console cover. The shifter is straight forward and easy to use. It's an update to the Buick that Marshall has.
Old 06-23-19, 11:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogerh00

The key points are the touch screen is incorporated into the dash not an ipad velcroed to the top of the dash as many do these days. The large dial on the console controls the screen as an alternative to touch.(no touchpad!) The small dial behind the sifter is the radio/audio control for on/off and volume. For wireless charging you just slide your phone into a pocket in front of the console cover. The shifter is straight forward and easy to use. It's an update to the Buick that Marshall has.
This is some interesting feedback and comments. Who would thought Lexus would do an emergency fix to their RX screen and input while Cadillac had it figured out

Originally Posted by rogerh00

Since as Jill points out nobody else owns a Cadillac in this forum but me I'll point a few things that make a difference for me.
Cadillac likes to get crapped on all the time. I think they make more appealing designs than Lexus.
Old 06-23-19, 02:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

i think cadillac's line up is quite strong right now even if the sales haven't really come along with it yet... but i think they have a decent consistent style now, great interiors, some class leading features like super cruise, and decent performance and refinement.
Old 06-23-19, 02:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think cadillac's line up is quite strong right now even if the sales haven't really come along with it yet... but i think they have a decent consistent style now, great interiors, some class leading features like super cruise, and decent performance and refinement.
Great post 👍. Love the positive attitude
Old 06-23-19, 02:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I too think Cadillac is doing quite well. I don't care for their aesthetic personally, but that's a matter of personal taste.
Old 06-23-19, 03:22 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I like the current Cadillacs. My issue is not with the cars but with the pricing of some models. Add in a bit more value against the competition and I think they’d sell better.

I should add that I think Lexus should do the same thing to spark sales of certain models (IS, GS, LS).

Last edited by JDR76; 06-23-19 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-24-19, 08:05 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Great post 👍. Love the positive attitude

Always a best bet to stay away from GM.

So what's the final verdict? Cadillac good? or GM bad?
Old 06-24-19, 03:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Cadillac good?
I have always found GM vehicles very appealing, this stems back from way, way back in the day when I was little and my father would put me, and my two brothers in the car and drive us to the dealership (was a good 1hr drive) to buy his new GM car. This happened every 1.5 years and although I did not know (I was a kid) I recall the love and joy on my fathers face and my two brothers when we picked up the new cars. New design, new features, new car smell. Always a brand or car model upgrade for my dad, I recall him going from Chevrolet or Pontiac, to Olds, to Buick and then to his ultimate joy, a Cadillac. At one time he had a car for him, a car for my mom, and an additional pick up truck for the cottage property he owned.

GM bad?
Then, as I became a teenager and an adult, I saw the frustration and anger with my father as GM started to go downhill. I recall when I had my first licence, the cars that would not start. Repairs needed all the time. I remember him waking everyone up in the household at 5am in the morning yelling that his Buick would not start (luckily he had more than one GM car) so he would take the other. He also bought my first ever car, my brothers first car, my other brothers first ever car, and my sister first ever car, all GM. All would break all the time. Leave us stranded and for whatever reason, would never last long.

At some point I became a young adult, I did not understand ( the crazy lay offs going on at GM. All the part contents that were be systematically deleted from some GM cars. I also remember in the 1990's when GM would refuse to upgrade their powertrain warranty to match Toyota's.

The final verdict?
So that leave us for today. I still find GM cars appealing (based on those very early experiences that I likely did not understand at the time). Today, like back then I think most are better featured and have better power rating than many Japanese cars. There is often lots of new technology that comes with GM cars that are either a hit or a miss. Car Play is all over their line up for instance. XM and OnStar have been staples of GM for a long time. However, I also look at their plant closures, their movement of car production to Mexico or worse, China, all the while their current lay offs while hitting profits. The current GM Takata air bag issue..... I then also refuse to forget/forgive their past reputation that burned my parents (and me at one point) so many times.

So the final verdict to me: But I still like many of their cars.

Old 07-16-19, 06:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

This is disappointing to see IMO, GM did this with their sedans only to eventually close the US plants...hopefully the same does not happen to the XT6 US plant.

Cadillac XT6 Is The First Large Luxury SUV Produced In China

General Motors is currently launching the all-new Cadillac XT6 in China and in the United States. With the new three-row crossover, which Cadillac has sorely needed in its lineup, the luxury brand is looking to continue its rapid growth in the world’s largest automotive market. In that regard, the XT6 will become the first large luxury SUV produced in China.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/07/...#ixzz5tqSKnP7B

Quick Reply: 2020 Cadillac XT6