Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus human interface issues and climate control discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-19, 03:56 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What is HMI? And what is the issue with remote start?
HMI human machine interface
Remote start issue is when you get to the vehicle it turns off as a safety/anti-theft mechanism (a separate thread exists)
Old 02-12-19, 04:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Remote start issue is when you get to the vehicle it turns off as a safety/anti-theft mechanism (a separate thread exists)
Have you followed this issue? Is there a solid reason of why Toyota does this?
Old 02-12-19, 05:03 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Have to confess I have not read every single post, but I don't understand the issue(s).

--Use of the compressor on a hot day is obvious.

--Use of the compressor on a very cold day is not possible, it stays off if the ambient is below a certain threshold.

--Use of the compressor on a cool day will result in low-humidity air from the vents.

--Use of the compressor will result in slightly-worse fuel economy.

So if I choose to NOT use the compressor on cool days, I either want to save fuel and/or I like humid air. These days, the compressor consumes very little power, so all that's left is whether I like humid air or not. Since humid air tends to fog the windows, I figure car engineers assumed nobody wants fogged windows, hence the default use of the compressor.
Old 02-12-19, 09:36 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale
Have to confess I have not read every single post, but I don't understand the issue(s).

--Use of the compressor on a very cold day is not possible, it stays off if the ambient is below a certain threshold.

--Use of the compressor on a cool day will result in low-humidity air from the vents.

So if I choose to NOT use the compressor on cool days, I either want to save fuel and/or I like humid air. These days, the compressor consumes very little power, so all that's left is whether I like humid air or not. Since humid air tends to fog the windows, I figure car engineers assumed nobody wants fogged windows, hence the default use of the compressor.
Exactly. My cabin temperature stays on AUTO all the time and does a great job. I sometimes change the temperature set point, but even this is rare. Lexus has done a great job of keeping the cabin comfortable with no effort from the driver. If I want it a bit cooler, I adjust the temperature set point to 68 instead of 71. Although we rarely have windshield fogging issues here in the desert, I have driven to New Orleans and back without adjusting the AUTO setting and no issues with windshield fogging. I'm sure there are people who want to fiddle with a great system, but if they would just relax and let "AUTO" take care of them it would be soothing and comfortable.
Old 02-13-19, 04:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale

Yes, i think some of the confusion here is thinking a/c is only for making very cold air from the vents. It isn’t.

Also, we seem to be discussing 3 main scenarios:
1. Full auto
2. Full manual
3. Partial auto/manual

1. And 2. Are pretty straightforward, although there might not be enough separate controls these days for full manual as has been pointed out.
For 3., there’s simply too many scenarios to please everyone. Most people do 1 or 2 or when they do 3 they usually crank the temp way high or way low and adjust fan speed and vent selection.

Trying to manually control some elements while expecting a car to do other things in a specific automatic way isn’t reasonable.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-13-19 at 04:51 AM.
Old 02-13-19, 04:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I'm sure there are people who want to fiddle with a great system, but if they would just relax and let "AUTO" take care of them it would be soothing and comfortable.
Where’s the fun in that?
Old 02-13-19, 06:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Yes, i think some of the confusion here is thinking a/c is only for making very cold air from the vents. It isn’t.
Using A/C for making cold air is not the issue, ^^^ just came up in the discussion.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Most people do 1 or 2 or when they do 3 they usually crank the temp way high or way low and adjust fan speed and vent selection.
Some people like to use the A/C in a manual mode. For example, if the outside temp is 50F, I could easy drive part of my trip with just the vent and air flow open, while every once in a while cycle in the A/C. Just becomes much more difficult and annoying if there is no dedicated A/C button. Luxury should be ease of use.
Old 02-13-19, 12:54 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Have you followed this issue? Is there a solid reason of why Toyota does this?
No one knows, but many theories exist.
Old 02-14-19, 07:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
So considering someone from Lexus reads these threads in some degree, when are those customer focus groups going to reach out to one us to get the real concerns?

AC buttons
HVAC buttons vs virtual alternatives
HMI
Window Switches
Remote Start
They have focus groups already
Old 02-14-19, 07:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They have focus groups already
Focus groups do not tell the whole story.
Old 02-14-19, 07:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Using A/C for making cold air is not the issue, ^^^ just came up in the discussion.

Some people like to use the A/C in a manual mode. For example, if the outside temp is 50F, I could easy drive part of my trip with just the vent and air flow open, while every once in a while cycle in the A/C. Just becomes much more difficult and annoying if there is no dedicated A/C button. Luxury should be ease of use.
But you can't design a vehicle that prioritizes every possible way somebody may want to control the vehicle. You have to look at what ways do the majority of your customers want to use the system, and I think its pretty easy to say most people don't care to cycle the A/C compressor on and off, they just set a temp and let the system do its thing. So, that method of control is prioritized in the design.

If being able to control every facet of the HVAC system at all times is that big a concern to you, then you should prioritize finding vehicle that allows you to do that...and a Lexus vehicle is not for you. Its really just that simple.
Old 02-14-19, 07:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Focus groups do not tell the whole story.
Tell what story? I believe Toyota/Lexus knows how to design a vehicle that fits their customers needs and wants, if they didn't they wouldn't be as successful as they are. They use focus groups and feedback about their vehicles to refine them as all designers do.

At some point you have to just chock it up that you have a different set of preferences than the consumer they are designing these vehicles for...that doesn't make you wrong and it doesnt make them wrong. There are lots of vehicles out there who's design interface and feel just aren't to my taste. Doesnt mean that there aren't lots of other people out there that buy them and find them desirable. I don't spend time complaining about the choices those carmakers have made, I just buy what works for me.
Old 02-14-19, 07:59 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,502 Likes on 1,804 Posts

Topical:

Kinda goes into why decision like nixing the AC button happen. You have to sell to the buying public - or at least, appeal to the majority of consumers who buy a vehicle.
Old 02-14-19, 08:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I'm sure there are people who want to fiddle with a great system, but if they would just relax and let "AUTO" take care of them it would be soothing and comfortable.
In some cases, you're putting the cart before the horse. If auto-systems always did that great a job, people wouldn't have to fiddle with them manually. My experience with climate-control, in almost every vehicle I've owned, is, if I want it done to my satisfaction, do it myself.
Old 02-14-19, 08:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In some cases, you're putting the cart before the horse. If auto-systems always did that great a job, people wouldn't have to fiddle with them manually. My experience with climate-control, in almost every vehicle I've owned, is, if I want it done to my satisfaction, do it myself.
I've had cars with auto climate control systems for 30 years. Always set to AUTO, always comfortable.

What you want is control over the functions of the system, and that's fine but you have to understand most people just want to set the system and forget it. If you would let the system do its job, you too would be comfortable. If that wasn't the case, cars wouldn't have automatic climate systems, they would have manual controls.

Carmakers respond to customer demands. Great example of this is touchscreens. Carmakers went away from touchscreens, and buyers complained and you're seeing the industry respond to that by bringing them back.

Quick Reply: Lexus human interface issues and climate control discussion