Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus human interface issues and climate control discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-19, 05:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Which, in a car, is what you'd want to do most of the time. Hence, why the AUTO climate control turns the A/C on, leaving it for the driver--such as yourself--to override it, if desired.
Which is difficult if not dangerous on some Lexus models without a dedicated hard button.
Old 02-11-19, 05:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Which, in a car, is what you'd want to do most of the time. Hence, why the AUTO climate control turns the A/C on, leaving it for the driver--such as yourself--to override it, if desired.
Which is quite difficult to do without a dedicated hard button on some new Lexus models. Some Lexus models have the hard button.
Old 02-11-19, 05:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

why the AUTO climate control turns the A/C on,
This auto turn on is actually selectable in the new Avalon. You can toggle the screen button to have the system not turn on AC when you hit AUTO I think the same applies to new Lexus models.
Old 02-11-19, 06:30 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

With respect to auto climate control, all my cars have had it starting with the 1998 Maxima. Pretty sure, back then, the Maxima could still be had with a lever for the controls don't really remember.

But I do believe that my wife's 2011, my 2007 BMW, and the 1998 Maxima, do not function the same way as the 2006 LS430.

On any of the cars except the Lexus, and "not" on AUTO, if the temp is set to the lowest, be it 60F, or 65F, outside air comes in through the vents, making temp selection a glorified lever. This can be appreciated especially when it's very cold, like 15F or something. Not so with the Lexus. When set to 65F, with the next setting being "Max Cold," not on auto, and it's 15F outside, warm air comes in. Just me but I don't see why the a/c has to run when there's plenty cold outside, meaning only max cold will introduce cold air, 65F will not? Only the BMW and Maxima and Lexus can be on recirc, without the a/c being on. So they are all a bit different...
Old 02-11-19, 09:58 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What car is that from?
Looks like an old 3000GT/Stealth from the early 90’s.
Old 02-11-19, 10:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

i have undeleted all the climate control posts since it's unending, and just edited the thread title instead.
Old 02-11-19, 10:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i have undeleted all the climate control posts since it's unending, and just edited the thread title instead.
Respectfully. I do not get it?. The discussion has a lot participation. Yeah its polarizing. But people seem to be engaged. Personally, I have learned a lot from this thread. Are we all not car enthusiasts?

You said yourself yesterday it was an interesting discussion.

edit. I read your post wrong before I typed.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-11-19 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-11-19, 11:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

hopefully all good...
Old 02-11-19, 12:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Which is difficult if not dangerous on some Lexus models without a dedicated hard button.
Oh please, don't be dramatic. Like we've said before, its a very seldom used button for most drivers. And if you want to use it in my Lexus without a hard A/C button its two clicks. One click on the climate side icon and one click on A/C. You can also just leave the side screen on the climate screen all the time if you want constant immediate access.
Old 02-11-19, 12:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This auto turn on is actually selectable in the new Avalon. You can toggle the screen button to have the system not turn on AC when you hit AUTO I think the same applies to new Lexus models.
You can do this on all Lexus models it just requires a scan tool in order to make the change on some.
Old 02-12-19, 06:05 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Ok I was in my car by myself and tried using auto climate control again and I thought it worked pretty well but it wouldn’t let me switch where the air comes out, it would only let the air come out at my feet and I wanted it to come out of the other vents in addition to the foot. If I tried switching it, it would change it out of auto. Is this normal?
Old 02-12-19, 06:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
, it would only let the air come out at my feet and I wanted it to come out of the other vents in addition to the foot.

This is the central complaint of the auto system, that some do not like. I certainly do not like it. And if you are using auto in a Lexus, you are forced to use AC when you might not want to. Its a very strange design decision when omit certain hard buttons.

If I tried switching it, it would change it out of auto. Is this normal?

Yes, this would be correct. So my parents complaint was that they could go into manual mode, and they could control all manual features, however to cycle in or out manually of the AC, they would need to use remote touch. I never noticed it until they mentioed it, so when I explained what they needed to do to change and cycle the A/C, they looked at me like WTF. So they traded their ES because of remote touch

Your IS had a A/C button as well as vent buttons, you can use the HVAC either way pretty easy. I don't see the issue with remote touch in your IS. This was the same with my CT.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-12-19 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-12-19, 12:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Ok I was in my car by myself and tried using auto climate control again and I thought it worked pretty well but it wouldn’t let me switch where the air comes out, it would only let the air come out at my feet and I wanted it to come out of the other vents in addition to the foot. If I tried switching it, it would change it out of auto. Is this normal?
Correct, when its in auto it chooses where the air comes out. When you change where it comes out, you default auto.

Every car I've ever had with automatic climate control works this way. In "auto" the system does everything automatically.

And if you are using auto in a Lexus, you are forced to use AC when you might not want to.
You actually aren't. You can set it so that it doesn't automatically turn the A/C compressor on.
Old 02-12-19, 03:48 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

So considering someone from Lexus reads these threads in some degree, when are those customer focus groups going to reach out to one us to get the real concerns?

AC buttons
HVAC buttons vs virtual alternatives
HMI
Window Switches
Remote Start
Old 02-12-19, 03:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
HMI

Remote Start
What is HMI? And what is the issue with remote start?

Quick Reply: Lexus human interface issues and climate control discussion