Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Select fuel grade with pump nozzle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-18, 06:03 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts
Default Select fuel grade with pump nozzle?

More and more I have been seeing people depress the fuel grade button with the nozzle end. More so guys than females. Becoming good reason to wear the nitrile gloves while refueling the car even though the evaporation rate is high. I wipe my hands with those hand wipes following pumping because the pump handles are dirty and I don't want that on the steering wheel anyhow. I can think of a handful of guys I know that pump gas then during the process of waiting begin to chew on what little fingernails they have left. Hygienic practices...

Last edited by RA40; 01-01-19 at 10:23 AM. Reason: sp
Old 01-01-19, 09:22 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I rarely get sick, and I don't wipe my hands with sanitizer wipes after shopping carts, etc because i just don't. More important stuff going on lol.
Old 01-01-19, 11:59 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

In Switzerland. Stations are very clean and I never got sick from that, but I will always look out for residual gas on the handle ; that only happened twice. I also know stations where the pumps are cleaned by some personnel in the day, like some toilets or the floors.
Old 01-04-19, 06:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I think we need to man up a bit, we can touch things out there in the real world. It isn't like you're gonna select a fuel grade, then put your hands in your mouth or eyes? There's a whole army of guys that don't even wash their hands after using the facilities (I work with them), and I know who they are. Sure I prefer not to shake hands, but if I did, it's not like I'm going to die. lol (the funny one is people who don't wash hands in a restaurant)
Old 01-04-19, 06:31 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

never seen that at a gas station, but for the first time ever the pump did not auto shut-off when I was gassing up - luckily I was standing right there watching it and not cleaning windshield or something. I told the idiot inside and he seemed to care less about it.

oh and yes people are nasty and I DO clean the grocery cart handles BEFORE I touch it....not worried about getting sick, its just nasty to me that people don't wash there hands after using the bathroom.
Old 01-04-19, 06:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I've also seen people do this, I don't get it.

Also don't assume people who don't wash their hands don't use hand sanitizer or something like that. I quite often don't wash my hands but I always use hand sanitizer after I use the bathroom. So lots of people probably think I don't wash my hands either lol
Old 01-04-19, 06:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

While I agree that washing hands is important (especially after rest-room use), it's impossible to clean everything that your hands touch (including everything in the grocery store LOL), so I would just eat healthy to try and maintain one's immune system, clean ones' self regularly, and just not worry about the rest. There are enough things in life to concern one's self with....and you cannot control what other people do.
Old 01-04-19, 06:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
never seen that at a gas station, but for the first time ever the pump did not auto shut-off when I was gassing up - luckily I was standing right there watching it and not cleaning windshield or something. I told the idiot inside and he seemed to care less about it.
That's one reason why some states (I don't know exactly how many) ban the pump-locks on self-service pumps that allow one to stop holding the pump and walk away while the gas is still flowing. You must stand there and physically hold the trigger down, with your fingers (or try and stick something in there to hold it until the cut-off, which is not recommended and probably illegal). And, of course, it may not cut off properly if something is jammed in there and blocking it. Inconvenient, maybe......but probably avoids a number of klutzy gas-spills and/or pump-trigger malfunctions.
Old 01-04-19, 08:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
While I agree that washing hands is important (especially after rest-room use), it's impossible to clean everything that your hands touch (including everything in the grocery store LOL), so I would just eat healthy to try and maintain one's immune system, clean ones' self regularly, and just not worry about the rest. There are enough things in life to concern one's self with....and you cannot control what other people do.
Of course, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t periodically clean your hands.

Personally I think a lot of people lead too antiseptic a life and it makes them less able to fight off diseases. I see it in my kids and peoples kids who I know freak out about germs and such. My kids get dirty, play, touch the ground, etc. they’re pretty healthy knock on wood.
Old 01-04-19, 09:11 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Oh I take a paper towel from the station and wrap the handle of the pump for use, and also use it for selecting the grade. Im a bit of a germaphobe, can you tell? lol. This is a bit off topic, but every blood test I have had so far tells me I have a low white blood cell count. This obviously prevents my body from fighting off the tough stuff. I am also a pretty clean person in general, so I do not know what came first. Did my hygiene lower my WBC? probably not. Anyway, I get sick maybe once every two years and stick to leading a pretty healthy lifestyle. food for thought
Old 01-04-19, 09:36 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Of course, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t periodically clean your hands.

Personally I think a lot of people lead too antiseptic a life and it makes them less able to fight off diseases. I see it in my kids and peoples kids who I know freak out about germs and such. My kids get dirty, play, touch the ground, etc. they’re pretty healthy knock on wood.
Old 01-04-19, 10:12 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Oh I take a paper towel from the station and wrap the handle of the pump for use, and also use it for selecting the grade.
I do the exact same thing!
Old 01-04-19, 10:52 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Goodness gracious, using paper towels at the gas station? I could see using them when fueling with diesel, but only to keep the oily diesel smell off my hands.

Certainly the skin is slightly permeable to chemicals, but even spilling liquid gasoline on yourself isn't going to have much of an effect. I wouldn't soak my hands in the stuff, though.

As for bacteria, as long as you don't have lesions on your hands, your skin does a great job of isolation. Don't touch the corners of your eyes or your mouth or nose and don't breathe in particulate matter. And hand washing is better than using sanitizer gels, in some cases MUCH better. Certain critters can be immune to sanitizers, including (if I recall accurately) CDiff, a very nasty bug.

As several Mythbusters episodes have demonstrated, contaminants and pathogens are everywhere, from door handles and faucets to ballpoint pens at restaurants. Natural selection has provided you with pretty effective response mechanisms. Just keep your hands cut-free and away from your face.

Last edited by riredale; 01-04-19 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-04-19, 11:35 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ that is true, except its a handle that a lot of people touch, And then you go back into your car and touch your steering wheel and other dash buttons. If you remember to wash your hands the first time, you aren't guaranteed to remember it later when you reenter your car and touch everything again. I do the paper towels for germs, not gas smell or anything (who gets gas on themselves when refilling?). This is also why I only go to Chevron for gas. Not only because I like the brand and product, but because they consistently have paper towels, unlike cheaper stations like Arco.
Old 01-05-19, 06:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
More and more I have been seeing people depress the fuel grade button with the nozzle end. More so guys than females. Becoming good reason to wear the nitrile gloves while refueling the car even though the evaporation rate is high. I wipe my hands with those hand wipes following pumping because the pump handles are dirty and I don't want that on the steering wheel anyhow. I can think of a handful of guys I know that pump gas then during the process of waiting begin to chew on what little fingernails they have left. Hygienic practices...
Interesting concern you have. Not sure I have ever worried or thought about such a thing as gas pump buttons. That being said, I am sure that your chances of far worse things happening while you are driving are of greater risk. There are other things in life that are risky wherever you go.

Quick Reply: Select fuel grade with pump nozzle?