Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Genesis G90 teases its refreshed face

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-18, 11:19 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i just did a build on mb usa for e450 with those options and packages needed to be like a g90 base (lol). the e450 came out to just under $80k. or about ~$10k more than a g90, and the g90 is probably a foot longer, so tons more room inside.

enjoy the e450, no doubt a fine car, but quite different.
That is why I said I would pay extra. A nicely equipped awd E450 is 68-70k, sure you can run them higher, but at that point, might as well get a base S class.
Old 11-13-18, 11:20 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sulu
Not any more tiring than "Ew, an overpriced Toyota" as a response to the Lexus brand and its flagship, the LS.
Most people only associate the ES with Toyota bc they are similar. I never hear people compare the IS, RX, LS, RC to a Toyota.
Old 11-13-18, 11:37 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by TXgearhead

Most people only associate the ES with Toyota bc they are similar. I never hear people compare the IS, RX, LS, RC to a Toyota.
I have heard folks mistakenly call the IS a tarted-up Corolla. "Yeah, ... no." is the correct response, if you were wondering.

But yeah I drove the G80, and I have had a rental Elantra and a rental Sonata. Sure I can see the resemblance in the infotainment and the interior design, but the material quality and the way the G80 drives are on another level from any mainstream vehicle, outside of near-luxury or full-size sedans. Same as Lexus. Once in a while you're reminded of the Toyota roots, but it's not like I can drive a Camry and then an ES and honestly think they feel the same.
Old 11-13-18, 12:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Its a Hyundai. I would get an E450 with air suspension option and acoustic package instead. I am willing to pay extra to not drive a Hyundai.
And you would be driving a much smaller car that doesn't ride or drive anywhere as nice as the G90.

I'd take a G90 over an E Class every day of the week.

Only all the time lol

Seriously, my friends call my car the "fancy Toyota" constantly. The LS is to Toyota exactly what the G90 is to Hyundai.
Old 11-13-18, 12:24 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I got that about my GS the other day.

"It's just a dressed up Toyota anyway".
Old 11-13-18, 12:25 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

I like it, bold in some ways and restrained in another
The sunken in headlights are little trippy.
Old 11-13-18, 12:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
And you would be driving a much smaller car that doesn't ride or drive anywhere as nice as the G90.

Yeah, that's pretty much a no-brainer, though the E-Class does excel in some features, like safety and ride/handling.

Old 11-13-18, 01:04 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Only all the time lol

Seriously, my friends call my car the "fancy Toyota" constantly. The LS is to Toyota exactly what the G90 is to Hyundai.
You are entitled to your own opinion. I have already said mine.

I think stating “the LS is to Toyota exactly what the G90 is to Hyundai” is a disservice to the LS. Only recently did Genesis rebrand itself. The Genesis brand hasn’t even had the time to establish itself. If you ask a random person on the street what a G90 was, they wouldn’t have a clue. The LS is a respected and accomplished lux sedan.
Old 11-13-18, 02:03 PM
arentz07
drives cars

I think stating “the LS is to Toyota exactly what the G90 is to Hyundai” is a disservice to the LS. Only recently did Genesis rebrand itself. The Genesis brand hasn’t even had the time to establish itself. If you ask a random person on the street what a G90 was, they wouldn’t have a clue. The LS is a respected and accomplished lux sedan.
Fast-forward 15 years. I actually think people will remember the G80 and G70 more. The G90 doesn't seem as remarkable in terms of value or execution as those do. Maybe the refresh will remedy that.
Old 11-13-18, 02:11 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Originally Posted by arentz07
Fast-forward 15 years. I actually think people will remember the G80 and G70 more. The G90 doesn't seem as remarkable in terms of value or execution as those do. Maybe the refresh will remedy that.
Impossible to tell, but the LS shocked the large sedan segment back in the day. We will see if that holds true for the Genesis lineup. IMO, they should have gone with a name with was unrelated to a Hyundai model.
Old 11-13-18, 02:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I've been an LS driver for 20 years...its the truth. When we got our first LS in 1998, Lexus had existed for 9 years and plenty of people didn't know what it was or what a Lexus was, I remember constantly thwarting off claims it was a rebadged Avalon, people couldn't believe it had a V8. My Aunt thought it was an "Alexis", she had no idea what a "Lexus" was.

Just because Genesis is not as far along as Lexus is doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with Genesis. And yes, the G90 is made by Hyundai on a premium luxury only RWD platform and is built to a much higher standard than "Hyundai" branded vehicles. Which is the exact same description you could give to the LS.

We're all entitled to our opinion, but my guess is you've never driven a G90. It really is an excellent product, every bit the peer of the LS and at a great price.
Old 11-13-18, 02:32 PM
arentz07
drives cars

We're all entitled to our opinion, but my guess is you've never driven a G90. It really is an excellent product, every bit the peer of the LS and at a great price.
To be fair, I haven't either, but I agree with what you said based on my experience with the G80. And that G80 was originally sold as a Hyundai-badged product!
Old 11-13-18, 02:59 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I recently was shopping the Genesis G80 and am impressed with the brand. What's really holding the Genesis brand back right now is their dealer network. If you look at sales, they are meager at best. This is due to problems and delays in getting their dealer network in place and up to speed. Some areas are a little further ahead than others but overall, inventories and service are hit or miss. Once things are resolved, and they get their first SUV things should improve and the brand will move ahead.
Old 11-13-18, 04:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by arentz07
To be fair, I haven't either, but I agree with what you said based on my experience with the G80. And that G80 was originally sold as a Hyundai-badged product!
I likew the G80 also, but the G90 is a much better done product, as the next gen G80 will be
Old 11-13-18, 04:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

I've been an LS driver for 20 years...its the truth. When we got our first LS in 1998, Lexus had existed for 9 years and plenty of people didn't know what it was or what a Lexus was, I remember constantly thwarting off claims it was a rebadged Avalon, people couldn't believe it had a V8. My Aunt thought it was an "Alexis", she had no idea what a "Lexus" was.

Just because Genesis is not as far along as Lexus is doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with Genesis. And yes, the G90 is made by Hyundai on a premium luxury only RWD platform and is built to a much higher standard than "Hyundai" branded vehicles. Which is the exact same description you could give to the LS.

Everything is wrong with Genesis right now, they sell peanuts and are one of the reasons Hyundai profits are down. They sold total of 372 units of G70, G80 and G90.

Quick Reply: 2020 Genesis G90 teases its refreshed face