Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Genesis G90 teases its refreshed face

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-18, 10:26 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Compare the first photo to the third. Below the 3 on the license plate, the grill bows downward like the last picture. It could be photoshopped, but it could be VERY accurate as well.
Old 11-15-18, 10:47 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Compare the first photo to the third. Below the 3 on the license plate, the grill bows downward like the last picture. It could be photoshopped, but it could be VERY accurate as well.
I totally agree- I think that 3rd pic is going to end up being incredibly accurate. In fact, I think the only thing that may be inaccurate is the horizontal line through the middle of the headlight doesn't seem to extend beyond the headlight housing like it does on Genesis' official teaser photo. The grille design is clearly visible in pic 1 and is used in pic 3 (suspected photoshop pic). I'm very excited to see this refresh. I also noticed on pic 2 (rear of the car) the bottom tail light strip runs the entire length of the trunk. I think we may see more of a 2013-2017 LS460 or new 7 series BMW tail light design here which will be a nice cosmetic refresh to the current G90. And I'm not aware of any car running the bottom tail light strip the entire length of the trunk - that could look really slick.
Old 11-15-18, 10:53 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Some called my GS a nice Toyota, some were blown away by how luxurious and quick it was and did not even know Lexus was associated with Toyota, people have called LS's, SC's, RX's, IS's Toyota's as a insult for a very long time and that is unlikely to ever change. I referred to my GS as a Toyota with certain people in certain circumstances because I wanted to avoid any "you drive a Lexus" nonsense.
Sounds like you are insecure with your car. You drive a Lexus. It is what it is. If someone tells you it is a Toyota, that is their opinion, and a wrong one.

On the Gensis G80 subject, I’m single, in my 20s, and regularly have clients in my car. A Genesis isn’t going to make an impress a woman or a client. People that drive a Genesis are always in defense mode. They have to defend their purchase, just like this thread. I’m one of the only people here that will admit that they care about superficial stuff, but I do.

I also like car brands that impress me. Lexus impressed me because they deliver incredible reliability, customer service, and up until recently focused on driver comfort. They were the first to undercut the Germans on price, while improving on reliability. Hyundai/Genesis did what? Make a less expensive Lexus? All of their cars are a mix of Audi, BMW, and Mercedes knock off styling. Whenever I see driving a Genesis, I immediate think “guess the Lexus/other lux brand was too expensive.”
Old 11-15-18, 11:07 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TXgearhead

I also like car brands that impress me. Lexus impressed me because they deliver incredible reliability, customer service, and up until recently focused on driver comfort. They were the first to undercut the Germans on price, while improving on reliability. Hyundai/Genesis did what? Make a less expensive Lexus? All of their cars are a mix of Audi, BMW, and Mercedes knock off styling. Whenever I see driving a Genesis, I immediate think “guess the Lexus/other lux brand was too expensive.”
I understand a lot of what you're saying, but let me offer some counter thoughts. In bold quote above, I'd say if Hyundai has made a less expensive Lexus it would be an accomplishment to be very proud of. You're admitting Lexus undercut the Germans and improved on reliability and won you over. So if Hyundai undercuts Lexus on price but delivers the same experience, guess what just went way up and guess what Lexus can't match? The value of Hyundai's car. Value is defined as what you get based on what you pay.

For your "the Lexus/other brand was too expensive" I'd again argue that there are likely Genesis buyers who don't see the price delta between a G90 and an LS500 (for example) as providing enough value to justify the price jump. I feel that way about an S550 compared to my LS. The LS provides the best value in my eyes, so I look at it and think "OK, I'll save and invest the extra $20k I just saved by not buying the S class".

Finally, Genesis has been around as its own brand for about 2 years. It'll take them a while to impress people - it took Lexus quite a while back in their debut as well. The reality is Hyundai is producing some gorgeous cars with unmatched warranties and offering things like valet service to appeal to the upper-end value-conscious buyer. If they play their cards right, they'll do some damage. Building a brand takes time. Building a luxury brand takes even longer.

BTW- I've owned Lexus cars and SUV's for 15 years now. Every single one of them is stamped "Toyota Motor Corp" so the person referring to any Lexus vehicle as a Toyota is technically correct.
Old 11-15-18, 11:11 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Sounds like you are insecure with your car. You drive a Lexus. It is what it is. If someone tells you it is a Toyota, that is their opinion, and a wrong one.

Someone driving a Lexus and saying it's a Toyota is actually very secure with their car in my mind. They don't care about the implied prestige. The guy driving a Chrysler 300 with a Bentley badge is the insecure one.
Old 11-15-18, 11:12 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

On the Gensis G80 subject, I’m single, in my 20s, and regularly have clients in my car. A Genesis isn’t going to make an impress a woman or a client. People that drive a Genesis are always in defense mode. They have to defend their purchase, just like this thread. I’m one of the only people here that will admit that they care about superficial stuff, but I do.

Impressing women is part of the goal of what type of car you choose/drive? Interesting lol. All about your confidence and how you talk to/approach women. I had no women issues with not having certain types of cars before I got married when I was in my 20's. Even if I was single now I wouldn't care about status of the car, I'm more focused on investing money in other areas. You did mention clients so not sure what type of business you're in so yes that would be a factor depending on what type of work it is but the women stuff nah.
Old 11-15-18, 12:33 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Originally Posted by plex
Impressing women is part of the goal of what type of car you choose/drive? Interesting lol. All about your confidence and how you talk to/approach women. I had no women issues with not having certain types of cars before I got married when I was in my 20's. Even if I was single now I wouldn't care about status of the car, I'm more focused on investing money in other areas. You did mention clients so not sure what type of business you're in so yes that would be a factor depending on what type of work it is but the women stuff nah.
I’m not trying to get a wife from the car I drive lmao. When leaving a bar, a nice car and nice clothes ups your closing percentage a little. 👍
Old 11-15-18, 01:27 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I’m not trying to get a wife from the car I drive lmao. When leaving a bar, a nice car and nice clothes ups your closing percentage a little. ��
Lol not going to sidetrack this Genesis discussion too much. But all about your word game is what gets them sure nice clothes helps but you don't necessarily need a nice car. I had good times with very nice talent driving old cars when I ran the streets.

Anyway back to the 2020 Genesis.
Old 11-15-18, 04:42 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I think you need to re read my post, it had nothing to do with me but reactions to my GS which were both positive and negative. It actually is not wrong because it technically is a Toyota, Lexus is a marketing brand from Toyota, many Lexus models were Toyota's in Japan in the past. It is not that big of a deal. I sometimes run into people who judge you or size you up by the car you drive, clothes you wear, your house, etc and make dumb comments to me or start getting into more of a conservation that I want so when I encounter those types sometimes for me to avoid them thinking I am trying to show off by saying I drive a Lexus I just say I drive a Toyota which is technically correct, hoping to end a annoying conversation or back and forth.

What kind of women are you talking to or dating that are impressed or judging you by the car/brand you drive? If you really wanted a better chance to get some gold digging tail you would not be driving a Lexus or even a Mercedes, you should be going straight to Ferrari, Porsche 911, Lamborghini.

I am a enthusiast. I don't buy cars just for the brand, I have zero interest in ever owning a CT, ES, NX, RX, I would rather have a Accord then those cars. Honda also delivers incredible reliability, customer service and driver comfort for most models. Acura was the first brand with the Legend to undercut the Germans on price while improving reliability. I could care less if my car impresses anyone, it really only matters that I like it.

If I had a Genesis I would not care if a girl is impressed by it or not, I got plenty of girls when I drove a Eclipse and a Accord, I did not need a fancy expensive car, doubt it would have helped me, looks, sense of humor, personality, conversation is what most girls/women in my experience care about or what attracts them to men, if a girl is into you for your car you are in trouble, better hope you don't knock her up or you end up in a long term relationship.

Lexus did not start out by having Mercedes knock off styling?

Whenever I see a Genesis G80 or G90 I often think that is a really good looking sedan for the G80 and I would love a 3.3 liter tt V6 making 365hp or 8 cylinder making 420hp while my GS350 only makes 306hp, when I see a G90 I also think about its power I wish my GS had and how nice the interior is and how nice it rides and the savings over a S class.
Old 11-15-18, 05:00 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UDel
I think you need to re read my post, it had nothing to do with me but reactions to my GS which were both positive and negative. It actually is not wrong because it technically is a Toyota, Lexus is a marketing brand from Toyota, many Lexus models were Toyota's in Japan in the past. It is not that big of a deal. I sometimes run into people who judge you or size you up by the car you drive, clothes you wear, your house, etc and make dumb comments to me or start getting into more of a conservation that I want so when I encounter those types sometimes for me to avoid them thinking I am trying to show off by saying I drive a Lexus I just say I drive a Toyota which is technically correct, hoping to end a annoying conversation or back and forth.

What kind of women are you talking to or dating that are impressed or judging you by the car/brand you drive? If you really wanted a better chance to get some gold digging tail you would not be driving a Lexus or even a Mercedes, you should be going straight to Ferrari, Porsche 911, Lamborghini.

I am a enthusiast. I don't buy cars just for the brand, I have zero interest in ever owning a CT, ES, NX, RX, I would rather have a Accord then those cars. Honda also delivers incredible reliability, customer service and driver comfort for most models. Acura was the first brand with the Legend to undercut the Germans on price while improving reliability. I could care less if my car impresses anyone, it really only matters that I like it.

If I had a Genesis I would not care if a girl is impressed by it or not, I got plenty of girls when I drove a Eclipse and a Accord, I did not need a fancy expensive car, doubt it would have helped me, looks, sense of humor, personality, conversation is what most girls/women in my experience care about or what attracts them to men, if a girl is into you for your car you are in trouble, better hope you don't knock her up or you end up in a long term relationship.

Lexus did not start out by having Mercedes knock off styling?

Whenever I see a Genesis G80 or G90 I often think that is a really good looking sedan for the G80 and I would love a 3.3 liter tt V6 making 365hp or 8 cylinder making 420hp while my GS350 only makes 306hp, when I see a G90 I also think about its power I wish my GS had and how nice the interior is and how nice it rides and the savings over a S class.

Old 11-18-18, 04:55 PM
Lenscap2
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclusive Genesis dealerships can't come soon enough. Genesis ranked dead last among luxury brands in sales satisfaction:

https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...ndex-ssi-study
​​​​​​​
Old 11-18-18, 05:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

OMG You have THE POST of 2018. Funny,
Old 11-18-18, 08:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

In that case, my advice is to get used to dying LOL.
Old 11-19-18, 07:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

A good meme is a great defense when you have no ability to defend your statements
Old 11-19-18, 12:17 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Lenscap2
Exclusive Genesis dealerships can't come soon enough. Genesis ranked dead last among luxury brands in sales satisfaction:

https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...ndex-ssi-study
Exactly right, but it might be too late. The current Hyundai dealers authorized to sell Genesis have no differentiation from a standard Hyundai dealer. Part of buying a luxury vehicle (for some) is the experience that comes along with the brand. Genesis is severely lacking here.

Quick Reply: 2020 Genesis G90 teases its refreshed face