Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Genesis G90 teases its refreshed face

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-18, 05:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Everything is wrong with Genesis right now, they sell peanuts and are one of the reasons Hyundai profits are down. They sold total of 372 units of G70, G80 and G90.

In most cases, you have to walk before you can run. I agree, however, that they need more dealerships. They also need a public that is at least willing to go look at them. One can lead a horse to water, but not make it drink.......but, in this case, the horse isn't even going to the water.

Old 11-13-18, 05:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Everything is wrong with Genesis right now, they sell peanuts and are one of the reasons Hyundai profits are down. They sold total of 372 units of G70, G80 and G90.
Its a work in progress.

And sales figures don't tell you necessarily about the quality of the product. Market appeal and all is a separate issue.
Old 11-13-18, 05:43 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Until Genesis gets its own stand alone dealership network the G90 will continue to trail behind in the large luxury car segment lead by Tesla, Mercedes-Benz and Lexus. Also they have to shake the Hyundai stigma. They need to stop placing the Genesis brand near Hyundai at Autoshows.
Old 11-14-18, 05:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by TXgearhead

The correct response is, it’s a higher trim Hyundai.

I would say Genesis is a higher end Hyundai. I would say that with every Lexus and Toyota as well. Same with Audi and VW. I don't see what the big deal is. I have always said that the Genesis will only go as far as the Hyundai brand will go. No different than Toyota, if the Toyota brand fails and fall apart, then Lexus goes nowhere. The Hyundai brand needs to succeed if the Genesis brand is to do well.
Old 11-14-18, 05:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Impossible to tell, but the LS shocked the large sedan segment back in the day. We will see if that holds true for the Genesis lineup. IMO, they should have gone with a name with was unrelated to a Hyundai model.

You are entitled to your own opinion. I have already said mine.

I think stating “the LS is to Toyota exactly what the G90 is to Hyundai” is a disservice to the LS. Only recently did Genesis rebrand itself. The Genesis brand hasn’t even had the time to establish itself. If you ask a random person on the street what a G90 was, they wouldn’t have a clue. The LS is a respected and accomplished lux sedan.
Generally speaking. For a brand to do well, you kind of need a big hit right out of the gate. It will be very hard for Genesis IMO going forward. A solid mid size SUV would be step in the right direction, and it would have to be better than everyone else, being competitive is not enough.
Old 11-14-18, 05:45 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Also when Lexus came into the game the Luxury vehicle segment was not as crowded. Cadillac was being lazy, Audi was still in metamorphosis state. Mercedes, Lincoln and BMW did well in the 90’s.

Also brand prestige plays a key role in why people buy what they buy. Right now Genesis shoppers are buying their cars because it’s a good deal versus because they desire the brand over all other luxury makes available. Some customers are entering their best earning years and they are primed to buy a fancier car than what they have driven in the past.

Im sure Hyundai knows that the Genesis brand isn’t recognizable to the average Joe. Only tons of marketing dollars and time will help them become a household name brand. The other option would be to do a outlandish product like Tesla has done with gullwing doors and a 0-60 time fast as a Pagani.
Old 11-14-18, 06:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I would say Genesis is a higher end Hyundai. I would say that with every Lexus and Toyota as well. Same with Audi and VW. I don't see what the big deal is. I have always said that the Genesis will only go as far as the Hyundai brand will go. No different than Toyota, if the Toyota brand fails and fall apart, then Lexus goes nowhere. The Hyundai brand needs to succeed if the Genesis brand is to do well.
Agreed. The manufacturer label on my LS says "MANUFACTURED BY TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION". It IS a Toyota.
Old 11-14-18, 08:37 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In most cases, you have to walk before you can run. I agree, however, that they need more dealerships. They also need a public that is at least willing to go look at them. One can lead a horse to water, but not make it drink.......but, in this case, the horse isn't even going to the water.

That is a donkey.
Old 11-14-18, 10:29 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by highrev6
Until Genesis gets its own stand alone dealership network the G90 will continue to trail behind in the large luxury car segment lead by Tesla, Mercedes-Benz and Lexus. Also they have to shake the Hyundai stigma. They need to stop placing the Genesis brand near Hyundai at Autoshows.
The G90 was outselling the LS, Jaguar, A8, and some others for a while. G80 was outselling everything in its segment aside from the 5 series and E class for longer too.
Old 11-14-18, 10:32 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Its a Hyundai. I would get an E450 with air suspension option and acoustic package instead. I am willing to pay extra to not drive a Hyundai.
You would be getting a lesser car in most ways with the E class compared to the G90. Lexus is just a Toyota if you apply the logic that Genesis is just a Hyundai.
Old 11-14-18, 10:38 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Most people only associate the ES with Toyota bc they are similar. I never hear people compare the IS, RX, LS, RC to a Toyota.
Some called my GS a nice Toyota, some were blown away by how luxurious and quick it was and did not even know Lexus was associated with Toyota, people have called LS's, SC's, RX's, IS's Toyota's as a insult for a very long time and that is unlikely to ever change. I referred to my GS as a Toyota with certain people in certain circumstances because I wanted to avoid any "you drive a Lexus" nonsense.
Old 11-14-18, 10:44 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Impossible to tell, but the LS shocked the large sedan segment back in the day. We will see if that holds true for the Genesis lineup. IMO, they should have gone with a name with was unrelated to a Hyundai model.
The LS shocked the large sedan segment mainly because of its price and how much lower it was then the Germans, the Germans flat out accused Lexus of dumping the LS on the market, the LS would never have been a success if it was priced anywhere near the Germans. I agree with you the Genesis naming scheme was really odd giving a entry level sporty coupe and mid sized Luxury sedan the same name and then also labeling the stand alone Luxury brand the same name as those cars but they still make very nice cars.
Old 11-14-18, 11:59 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UDel
The G90 was outselling the LS, Jaguar, A8, and some others for a while. G80 was outselling everything in its segment aside from the 5 series and E class for longer too.

not to be funny, but could you please reference your post with a little data. The G90 is only 2 years old going into it’s 3rd model year and it’s currently in 7th place or 8th place month to month amongst large luxury car segment. Genesis sold 117 G90’s in September while its twin the Kia K900 sold “17” the same month and it’s peak debut year the G90 matched Lexus LS sales with about 4000 copies for the year.
Old 11-14-18, 03:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

That is a donkey.

In the sense I was using the term, there's not much difference LOL.
Old 11-15-18, 06:34 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Assuming the last pic is photoshopped....but man I hope this is what the new G90 will look like. That's stunning. The grille on the current G90 has always been my biggest hesitation with the exterior design - this new grille with the modified headlights is really beautiful.

Quick Reply: 2020 Genesis G90 teases its refreshed face