Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stinger as Possible GS350 Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-18, 02:35 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Not sure what current deals are, but for awhile Kia was offering anywhere from 5-8k off in lease cash. So what a lot of people were/are doing was taking the lease cash deal and immediately buying it out. I would check the Stinger forums as there are PAGES on how to do this. I personally didn't go that route when I purchased mine over the summer, but my deal was also pretty good.

Unless something has drastically changed, you won't ever beat an Infiniti deal on the Stinger. Those are firesale prices on the Q50! But it's hard not to consider it.

Red exterior and interior is out there BUT is ridiculously rare. May have to scour the nation for that combo.

Some find the suspension too firm, others to soft. I think it's fine except for the occasional rear end float that may or may not bother you. Play with the suspension adjustments and see what u prefer and if comfort setting smoothes it out for you.

I personally bought it because the looks grabbed me and it has literally everything I'd want in a daily driver. Tech, power, decent fuel efficiency, utility with the hatchback, and AWD for when the weather turns. Couldn't have picked a better car for my needs.
Thanks, I was hoping you'd chime in. I'm getting really excited with the thought. I really enjoyed the test drive. I will definitely check out the Stinger forums.

Originally Posted by signdetres
My vote goes for the G80 Sport with the 3.3T. Very elegant and classy looks, with a touch of sport and aggression. Should also offer a nice power bump and offer some of the refinement the Stinger lacks. The Stinger would probably be a great replacement for your GS, though, like others, I’m not sure I’d enjoy going from a Lexus to a Kia. I wouldn’t scoff at a Genesis though.
Thanks for the input.
Old 10-12-18, 02:41 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Not even a used one. That doesn't surprise me terribly, since I believe the Sport didn't become available until MY2017, but I would have expected some new ones around.
I have driven the G80 Sport.
Its nice car with ample power but it’s more luxury then sport.
The 540i is superior in every way based on my test drives.

The lease program on G80s especially Sport model are very poor. Even around NYC area they are impossible to find.

If you want to stay with Lexus and can afford to pay in the $800s - get the 2018 LS500.
Right now there are crazy deals and its a lot of car for the $$$. For same price you can get the BMW M550i which also has good lease program and is a monster.

To me the Stinger is a downgrade from GS.
Old 10-12-18, 03:26 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I don't know. I am not a brand snob by any means, but at the end of the day, you will still own a $50,000 KIA. That just sounds weird. I know the kia and hyundai lineups have come a long way since the 90's, but at the end of the day, its still a Kia. Kind of like driving a Neon SRT-4 is still...driving a neon.
And that's what people said about Lexus in 1990--a $40K Toyota.
Old 10-12-18, 03:28 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
IMO it's hard to beat the material quality of Korean-designed vehicles today. They are, essentially, providing the type of quality today that we saw from Honda and Acura back in the 1980s, when they led the industry in material quality.
Well, that works well when you are comparing Kias to Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans, but I'm not sure I'm ready to say that the Stinger's interior is on par with a GS.
Old 10-12-18, 04:19 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
And that's what people said about Lexus in 1990--a $40K Toyota.
That's a different situation than the KIA Stinger though. Your statement only works is if he was referring to Genesis being a 40K Hyundai.

In the 89, Toyota started a new brand called Lexus in order at an attempt to create luxury cars.

However - KIA isn't trying to make luxury cars. The KIA Stinger - is still a KIA at the end of the day. The same company that makes a KIA Rio that's 13K. That's the difference.

Note: I'm not one to badge snob as well. I love the Stinger and love how it drives. I test drove one when it came out. But I can't personally stomach buying a KIA for 50K.
Old 10-12-18, 04:21 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

The Stinger’s interior is not the equal of the GS’. But that speaks more to the high quality of the GS. The Stinger was still impressive, with solid, soft touch materials, real metal, and great fit and finish. But the Stinger has tons of features that my GS does not.
Old 10-12-18, 04:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Well, that works well when you are comparing Kias to Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans, but I'm not sure I'm ready to say that the Stinger's interior is on par with a GS.

The Stinger's interior is obviously not as rich-looking or luxurious as that of a GS (nor is it intended to be). But I was refering to the quality and solidity of interior materials, where, IMO, the Korean manufacturers, particularly Genesis, set the standard today. And, yes, I say that as a GM fan....GM does a lot of things well, but IMO the Koreans (and Opel) do material quality the best. Of course, if you disagree, I respect your opinion.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-12-18 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-12-18, 04:28 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I paid $52k for a Toyota. $46k for a fun Kia doesn’t seem like such a big deal. $50k just doesn’t seem like all that much for a car these days, though I can certainly see how a $50k Kia can be a tough sell for some.

I just figured it’s a blast to drive with more power than my GS, is a great handling car, hosts an impressive list of tech features, looks great, and costs considerably less. Might be worth a shot to try something different.
Old 10-12-18, 04:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I paid $52k for a Toyota. $46k for a fun Kia doesn’t seem like such a big deal. $50k just doesn’t seem like all that much for a car these days, though I can certainly see how a $50k Kia can be a tough sell for some.

46-50K is a lot of money, yes, but it's not considered a fortune today by any means. The average transaction price of a new vehicle, today, in the U.S., is over 36K.

https://mediaroom.kbb.com/2018-02-01...lley-Blue-Book
Old 10-12-18, 04:33 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Sure will miss this though.

Old 10-12-18, 04:48 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
That's a different situation than the KIA Stinger though. Your statement only works is if he was referring to Genesis being a 40K Hyundai.

In the 89, Toyota started a new brand called Lexus in order at an attempt to create luxury cars.

However - KIA isn't trying to make luxury cars. The KIA Stinger - is still a KIA at the end of the day. The same company that makes a KIA Rio that's 13K. That's the difference.

Note: I'm not one to badge snob as well. I love the Stinger and love how it drives. I test drove one when it came out. But I can't personally stomach buying a KIA for 50K.
I don't know what "Still a Kia" means, though. Unless it's just badge snobbery. You are not a badge snob--you would just never buy a car that had a Kia badge on it. Hmmm.

Is the Stinger a $50K sports GT that has gotten rave reviews, and can legitimately be compared with BMWs, Audis and other cars in that class? I'm pretty sure, after reading a lot about the car, the answer is "Yes." For $50K, you get BMW 440 Gran Coupe power for a 430 Gran Coupe price. Do you give up some handling? Sure. Do most people drive in a way that it matters? No.

I understand that a $13K Rio on the showroom floor next to a $50K Stinger is incongruous. Why is that different than a Chevy Spark next to a Corvette or Silverado? Or a Focus next to a Mustang GT or a loaded F-150? Or a Dodge Whatever The Hell Their Cheap Car Is next to a Hellcat or GC Hemi? Or a Yaris next to a Land Cruiser?

Last edited by tex2670; 10-12-18 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-12-18, 04:50 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The Stinger’s interior is not the equal of the GS’. But that speaks more to the high quality of the GS. The Stinger was still impressive, with solid, soft touch materials, real metal, and great fit and finish. But the Stinger has tons of features that my GS does not.
Well that's just the result of the quality of Lexus. The Lexus GS quality is really good in my opinion. Hell - the current Lexus GS quality is still superior to that of the new Lexus ES in my book after sitting in the new Lexus ES.

I just figured it’s a blast to drive with more power than my GS, is a great handling car, hosts an impressive list of tech features, looks great, and costs considerably less. Might be worth a shot to try something different.
Well - the thing is - Lexus does a better job of dividing "Lexus" away from "Toyota". I would argue that VW does a better job than Toyota though. There are people that don't even know VW makes Audis. Lol.

But back to the point. Its more about the general perception of the brand. Lexus has been around so long now that saying: "I bought a Lexus for 50K" sounds right but saying "I bought a KIA for 50K" does not. Its all a social construction of the brand and the prestige.

50K is definitely a lot of money still, in my book. You can do tons of things with 50K. In some areas of the US, you are pretty much 1/4 of the way to a down payment of a house.

The issue here is car prices has gone up and wages hasn't kept up. (Not trying get political). Its just a fact. I mean - the Toyota Camry V6 cost nearly 38K now. I remember when the Camry V6 used to be under 30K.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
46-50K is a lot of money, yes, but it's not considered a fortune today by any means. The average transaction price of a new vehicle, today, in the U.S., is over 36K.

https://mediaroom.kbb.com/2018-02-01...lley-Blue-Book
While 50K is not a fortune, its still tons and tons of money. It can make life or death to some people in our country.

Its true that the average price of cars went up and car purchases are at all time high too. But I think car purchases being at all time high despite car prices being high is a result of lease deals. Majority of cars bought are on lease. Very people own cars now. This is why car companies are testing subscription services to make that extra $$$.
Old 10-12-18, 04:57 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

To be clear, when I say “I bought a $52k Toyota” I’m referring to my Highlander, not a Lexus. And that Highlander was sold between $85k Land Cruisers and the cheap Yaris.
Old 10-12-18, 05:01 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
But back to the point. Its more about the general perception of the brand. Lexus has been around so long now that saying: "I bought a Lexus for 50K" sounds right but saying "I bought a KIA for 50K" does not. Its all a social construction of the brand and the prestige.
This is, by definition, badge snobbery.

For me, I don't give a rat's a$$ about how much people think I paid for my car, or what they think of my car. I buy it for me. So, when I'm shopping for my next car, if after research and test drives, I (alone) determine that the Stinger GT is the right choice for me, I'm going to get one, whether it's a Kia, or some other newly-made lux brand that Kia decides to make. And if other badge snobs look down on it, well bully for them.
Old 10-12-18, 05:06 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

^^^This guy.

Quick Reply: Stinger as Possible GS350 Replacement