Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stinger as Possible GS350 Replacement

Old 10-12-18, 05:14 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I don't know what "Still a Kia" means, though. Unless it's just badge snobbery.

Is the Stinger a $50K sports GT that has gotten rave reviews, and can legitimately be compared with BMWs, Audis and other cars in that class? I'm pretty sure, after reading a lot about the car, the answer is "Yes." For $50K, you get BMW 440 Gran Coupe power for a 430 Gran Coupe price. Do you give up some handling? Sure. Do most people drive in a way that it matters? No.

I understand that a $15K Rio on the showroom floor next to a $50K Stinger is incongruous. Why is that different than a Chevy Spark next to a Corvette or Silverado? Or a Focus next to a Mustang GT? Or a Dodge Whatever The Hell Their Cheap Car Is next to a Hellcat or GC Hemi? Or a Yaris next to a Land Cruiser?
"Still a KIA" is just a reference to KIA still being a KIA. We need KIA to shake their image up a bit. While I know their cars has gotten better, their brand prestige hasn't. Their social image hasn't. They are still known has the car company that makes the hamster car.

It did get rave reviews. Its a good car. We aren't debating that. Lol. I drove one and I loved it.
As far as legitimately being able to compete with BMW, Audi and MB goes, that idea is a hard sell to the general public. People cross-shopping between BMW, Audi or MB (and Lexus) doesn't usually think "Right. I'll go to a KIA dealer after."
I fully understand your last point. But playing devil's advocate here: take a look at the Audi A4. Both the Audi A4 and KIA Stinger GT2 AWD cost the same price. The Stinger has more performance and A4 has more luxury equipment/better build quality. Are people ever going to drive the Stinger in a way where those extra performance figures matter? No. This is why people (average consumer) will be swayed by the brand and luxuries of the A4 over performance of the Stinger.

Is not different. People would say the same thing about a Vette, Mustang GT, or a HellCat/Demon.

Note: I think its little bit different for the HellCat/Demon because its such an outrageous car that it makes it that people don't care about the Dodge badge.
Old 10-12-18, 05:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

tex2670
Old 10-12-18, 05:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
While I know their cars has gotten better, their brand prestige hasn't. Their social image hasn't. They are still known has the car company that makes the hamster car.
that commercial was about 8 years ago. brand prestige and social image is for insecure or ego-driven people to feel superior to others. sure car makers exploit it because tons of people are that way. but not all.

kia clearly has a wide range of vehicles and parent hyundai makes vehicles for worldwide markets and they seem to sell most everything everywhere.

the 2019 kia k900 is a fabulous luxury vehicle. the kia stinger is a very sporty and capable sedan. it's not dripping with luxury interior, it's more acura-like i'd say than mercedes, but that's ok. the stinger has done a lot to make people say 'whoa, kia offers THAT?' and that's a good thing.

People cross-shopping between BMW, Audi or MB (and Lexus) doesn't usually think "Right. I'll go to a KIA dealer after."
clearly some respected people on clublexus (corrado, gferg, etc.), many existing or former lexus owners are doing just that, or not even bothering with bmw, audi, mb or lexus because they're not feeling motivated.

the market is like a comet though a bright leading edge of change, and a freaking long tail including those who hate change at the back of it.
Old 10-12-18, 05:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
tex2670

I have to echo.....I have the same opinion. Vehicle-buyers should not necessarily make their decisions based what others think.....or trying to Keep up with the Joneses. I especially tell that to (potential) minivan buyers who are afraid of what their friends will think of them....if the vehicle fits your needs, and you can afford it, get it.
Old 10-12-18, 09:16 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

I have driven the G80 Sport.
Its nice car with ample power but it’s more luxury then sport.
The 540i is superior in every way based on my test drives.

The lease program on G80s especially Sport model are very poor. Even around NYC area they are impossible to find.

If you want to stay with Lexus and can afford to pay in the $800s - get the 2018 LS500.
Right now there are crazy deals and its a lot of car for the $$$. For same price you can get the BMW M550i which also has good lease program and is a monster.

To me the Stinger is a downgrade from GS.
The M550i is a monster Quite possibly the best vehicle I've ever owned, although I've only had it a little over 3 months. It's one of only vehicles I've had the last several years that I could see keeping for a while.
Old 10-12-18, 10:50 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
This is, by definition, badge snobbery.

For me, I don't give a rat's a$$ about how much people think I paid for my car, or what they think of my car. I buy it for me. So, when I'm shopping for my next car, if after research and test drives, I (alone) determine that the Stinger GT is the right choice for me, I'm going to get one, whether it's a Kia, or some other newly-made lux brand that Kia decides to make. And if other badge snobs look down on it, well bully for them.
Sadly - for the majority of the public - it is badge snobbery. Like I said at the end of my post: its the social construction and the prestige. It just how our society is created and revolved around. Its capitalism.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that commercial was about 8 years ago. brand prestige and social image is for insecure or ego-driven people to feel superior to others. sure car makers exploit it because tons of people are that way. but not all.

kia clearly has a wide range of vehicles and parent hyundai makes vehicles for worldwide markets and they seem to sell most everything everywhere.

the 2019 kia k900 is a fabulous luxury vehicle. the kia stinger is a very sporty and capable sedan. it's not dripping with luxury interior, it's more acura-like i'd say than mercedes, but that's ok. the stinger has done a lot to make people say 'whoa, kia offers THAT?' and that's a good thing.

clearly some respected people on clublexus (corrado, gferg, etc.), many existing or former lexus owners are doing just that, or not even bothering with bmw, audi, mb or lexus because they're not feeling motivated.

the market is like a comet though a bright leading edge of change, and a freaking long tail including those who hate change at the back of it.
Yeah. That commercial is a long time ago but the effects of it say linger among the general population. Because it was a creative commercial and it stuck.

Definitely good point. +1. I agree with you there. Brand and badge is literally for the insecure and ego-driven people. Yes. Car makers do prey on that. I would argue that continuously switching out your cars through leasing is for the insecure and ego-driven people too. Feeling the need to always have the newest item and latest item. Car makers also prey on people's insecurities about how new or old the car is too. This is why leasing exist and why its 3 years long. Its retrofitted perfectly for someone to lease cars they can't afford continuously just to have the latest and newest tech. Then these same people will switch up the cars and lease another car that is "hot and new".

Another thing relating brand to leasing is: one of the reasons people lease is so they can drive a car they can't not afford. There are people that lease cars that they can't afford. Meaning, if they can't pay the sticker price in cash, then they can't afford the car. So instead, they lease the car for 3 years to "pretend" they drive this amazing car.

This is the sad reality we live in. Tons of people driving nice cars and switching it out often through lease while trying to front clout. Car is a horrible investment at the end of the day. The best way to invest in a car is to buy it and keep it. In the long run, you'll save more money than leasing.

I know a couple people on CL that have Stingers. Stinger is a great car, like I said in two of my previous post. I never doubted the car. The whole debate is just about the mass general public's idea of the KIA brand. The sad truth is - majority of people that shop at BMW, Audi and MB won't look at KIA.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I have to echo.....I have the same opinion. Vehicle-buyers should not necessarily make their decisions based what others think.....or trying to Keep up with the Joneses. I especially tell that to (potential) minivan buyers who are afraid of what their friends will think of them....if the vehicle fits your needs, and you can afford it, get it.
We had a discuss about "Keeping up with the Jones" awhile back, Marsh. Its a big thing in the States. This is why leasing vehicles is popular. Its not just the brand - is the people that continuously want the latest and greatest thing. Its people feeling their car is outdated in like 2 years and wanting another one.
Biggest take away: I agree with Marsh here, buy what fits your needs and that's in your budget.

Last edited by BippuLexus; 10-12-18 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-13-18, 06:56 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Please, let’s not derail another thread with false assertions about why people lease and what they can or cannot afford. We’ve been down that road enough times. Thanks.

Been watching online reviews of the Stinger and it’s hard to find a negative one. Lots of great info out there.
Old 10-13-18, 07:08 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
As far as legitimately being able to compete with BMW, Audi and MB goes, that idea is a hard sell to the general public. People cross-shopping between BMW, Audi or MB (and Lexus) doesn't usually think "Right. I'll go to a KIA dealer after."
I fully understand your last point. But playing devil's advocate here: take a look at the Audi A4. Both the Audi A4 and KIA Stinger GT2 AWD cost the same price. The Stinger has more performance and A4 has more luxury equipment/better build quality. Are people ever going to drive the Stinger in a way where those extra performance figures matter? No. This is why people (average consumer) will be swayed by the brand and luxuries of the A4 over performance of the Stinger.
This is the definition of badge snobbery. And, frankly, I'm completely fine with it. I just think if someone is a badge snob, they should own it.

Old 10-13-18, 07:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Been watching online reviews of the Stinger and it’s hard to find a negative one. Lots of great info out there.
Outside of a relatively stiff ride (and not everyone is as comfort-oriented as I am) and the choice of only an all-black interior, It's hard to find fault with the Stinger.
Old 10-13-18, 10:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

If you want a stinger that's a bit more compact and a bit more luxurious the g70 is waiting.
Old 10-13-18, 10:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Please, let’s not derail another thread with false assertions about why people lease and what they can or cannot afford. We’ve been down that road enough times. Thanks
Agree people lease for many reasons including business reasons.
Old 10-13-18, 11:29 AM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

I too want to trade in my GS350 for Stinger GT1, but couple things holding me back is body flex, paint quality, and rear end bouncing over the bumb and also the lease buy out deal is lower than last month now. May be I will wait for next model year.
Old 10-13-18, 11:54 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How is it a false assertion if (or when) people spend more than they can reasonably afford? That's like saying that one can pour a gallon of water out of a quart bottle.
I think it's best to let it go as it's been kindly asked of us to not derail this thread. Start a thread in car chat if you must.

Originally Posted by Longevite1
I too want to trade in my GS350 for Stinger GT1, but couple things holding me back is body flex, paint quality, and rear end bouncing over the bumb and also the lease buy out deal is lower than last month now. May be I will wait for next model year.
I've heard about the rear end bouncing over mid-corner bumps but never heard anything about body flex. What's that about?
Old 10-13-18, 12:10 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Didnt read most of thread, but OP why not get a G70?
Old 10-13-18, 12:12 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow1118
Didnt read most of thread, but OP why not get a G70?
Don't worry--we read it for you. Too small.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stinger as Possible GS350 Replacement