Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stinger as Possible GS350 Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-18, 12:23 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
I think it's best to let it go as it's been kindly asked of us to not derail this thread. Start a thread in car chat if you must.I've heard about the rear end bouncing over mid-corner bumps but never heard anything about body flex. What's that about?
The chassis rigidity is subpar for track duty. It's been called a great GT car but on the track, the body flex can be felt. A comparable 3 series has never had this complaint for reference. Is also look at a new G20 3 series as I hear the driving dynamics have been much improved.
Old 10-13-18, 12:25 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,627 Likes on 1,037 Posts

So now I’m stuck on red with black interior or the cement gray with red interior. Leaning toward the red as it’s been a long time since I’ve had a car that wasn’t white or silver.

Im also thinking I’ll shoot for a 19, as they add the around-view camera and wireless charging pad.

Last edited by JDR76; 10-14-18 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-13-18, 01:27 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
So now I’m stuck on red with black interior or the cement gray with red interior. Leaning toward the red as it’s been a long time since I’ve has a car that wasn’t white or silver.

Im also thinking I’ll shoot for a 19, as they add the around-view camera and wireless charging pad.
With that limited rear visibility, I think the all around camera is a good call
Old 10-13-18, 06:54 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes. The Stinger reviews are insanely good. +1

Originally Posted by tex2670
This is the definition of badge snobbery. And, frankly, I'm completely fine with it. I just think if someone is a badge snob, they should own it.
I wouldn't being considered swayed by the brand and luxuries of a A4 over the Stinger to be brand snob. Its because the A4 and Stinger GT2 AWD are both the same price but does different things... OP probably likes lift-backs and prefers performance thus leading him to want the Stinger. However - if someone prefers more luxury equipment and comfortable ride, maybe they'll go A4 and the brand is just a plus for them.

Nothing is 100% for what it seems.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-14-18 at 07:10 AM.
Old 10-14-18, 07:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

So now I’m stuck on red with black interior or the cement gray with red interior. Leaning toward the red as it’s been a long time since I’ve has a car that wasn’t white or silver.
good problem to have.

good call... once someone's had an all around camera, i bet most will never want to be without one. my car has a charging pad and i'm upgrading my phone so i can use it.
Old 10-14-18, 07:33 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Yes. The Stinger reviews are insanely good. +1

I wouldn't being considered swayed by the brand and luxuries of a A4 over the Stinger to be brand snob. Its because the A4 and Stinger GT2 AWD are both the same price but does different things... OP probably likes lift-backs and prefers performance thus leading him to want the Stinger. However - if someone prefers more luxury equipment and comfortable ride, maybe they'll go A4 and the brand is just a plus for them.

Nothing is 100% for what it seems.
No--what you are NOW describing it totally different. NOW you are saying that you would carefully compare the A4 and the Stinger, and the Stinger just would not measure up. I agree--not brand snobbery. BEFORE you indicated no one would go to an Audi dealer and BMW dealer, and then even consider a Stinger. THAT is brand snobbery--ruling out a brand without even measured consideration.
Old 10-14-18, 09:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Been watching online reviews of the Stinger and it’s hard to find a negative one. Lots of great info out there.
Review publications are all biased. They don’t mean all that much other than free advertising and support for the manufacturers. It is in every publications best interest to praise a new Stinger or any of the Genesis models. They publications would do themselves a disservice by saying saying an upstart brand like Genesis or a new model like the Stinger are not very good. Motor Trend recently claimed the G90 was the best car to take on the S class, but they panned Lexus in past for making boring cars that were super quiet, mmmm so how can the G90 trump the LS500 when the very essence of the LS460 is now the blueprint for the G90. Its becuase the Lexus brand is established and is not going to grow like the potential of the Genesis brand.

All that said: The KIA Stinger definitely turns my head when I see one. Great appearance and a great success story for KIA and the Hyundai Corp all together. Great design as well. It can only get better.
Old 10-14-18, 09:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Just got caught up on the thread. Badge snobbery is very real. It’s in our lives all over the place. Hard to believe that the Audi, Lexus, BMW and MB buyers would switch for a KIA branded model. It generally does not happen this way.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-14-18 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-14-18, 06:18 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Just got caught up on the thread. Badge snobbery is very real. It’s in our lives all over the place. Hard to believe that the Audi, Lexus, BMW and MB buyers would switch for a KIA branded model. It generally does not happen this way.
Agreed. But people with money to spend moving up from Avalons, Maximas, Acuras and Buicks may see the value in a Stinger GT. To me, that's where the Stinger (and similarly, Genesis models) would find more of critical mass of customers. Those customers that want something nicer, but just can't bring themselves to pay the price of a true lux make.
Old 10-14-18, 11:15 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

No--what you are NOW describing it totally different. NOW you are saying that you would carefully compare the A4 and the Stinger, and the Stinger just would not measure up. I agree--not brand snobbery. BEFORE you indicated no one would go to an Audi dealer and BMW dealer, and then even consider a Stinger. THAT is brand snobbery--ruling out a brand without even measured consideration.
I think there are two situations for the last statement.

A person that goes to an Audi, BMW and MB dealership and not consider KIA can't assumed to be brand snobbery. Maybe they just like those brands. Maybe they just don't like KIA. Maybe tons of reasons.

However - I'll agree - if an Audi, BMW and MB shopper refuses to consider KIA, then that's brand snobbery. Refusing KIA based off brand is brand snobbery.

Refusing to consider and simply just not considering, in my mind, is different.
Old 10-15-18, 05:39 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

The Lexus brand and this forum would not exist if consumers were not brand snobs once you reach a certain level.

Brands and image matter and help with the whole Luxury lifestyle / experience.

Also Ferrari, MB, Porsche, BMW etc have huge history in motorsports which gives them even greater credibility in consumer’s eyes.
Old 10-15-18, 08:03 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,895 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Agreed. But people with money to spend moving up from Avalons, Maximas, Acuras and Buicks may see the value in a Stinger GT. To me, that's where the Stinger (and similarly, Genesis models) would find more of critical mass of customers. Those customers that want something nicer, but just can't bring themselves to pay the price of a true lux make.
I find this odd, because the general Avalon customer probably wouldn't like the more sporty nature of the Stinger. However, maybe someone who got an Avalon Touring or something, because they wanted a practical yet at least sporty-looking vehicle, could be more satisfied with the Stringer. It's practical.

For me, I want something with a nice, but not necessarily luxury-car, interior and fun to drive. I find the Stinger to just be a more well-rounded proposition than many entry-luxury cars, like the A4, 3-series, etc., due to the fact that it's larger and less expensive. Also, it doesn't come with the brand image, which for some people could be a pro, not a con. Many people assume BMW and Audi drivers, particularly the entry-level models, are stuck-up wannabes. Now I know that isn't always the case, but at least in the Kia, no one is going to think that. To be honest, part of the good thing about getting a Lexus is that it's the more sensible luxury option, and doesn't incite judgment in the same way as the German brands.
Old 10-15-18, 08:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

avalon buyers i've seen tend to be retired seniors and i doubt many would be interested in a stinger.
Old 10-15-18, 09:40 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Review publications are all biased. They don’t mean all that much other than free advertising and support for the manufacturers. It is in every publications best interest to praise a new Stinger or any of the Genesis models. They publications would do themselves a disservice by saying saying an upstart brand like Genesis or a new model like the Stinger are not very good. Motor Trend recently claimed the G90 was the best car to take on the S class, but they panned Lexus in past for making boring cars that were super quiet, mmmm so how can the G90 trump the LS500 when the very essence of the LS460 is now the blueprint for the G90. Its becuase the Lexus brand is established and is not going to grow like the potential of the Genesis brand.

All that said: The KIA Stinger definitely turns my head when I see one. Great appearance and a great success story for KIA and the Hyundai Corp all together. Great design as well. It can only get better.
Jill has a point here. All review publicans are biased. There's always an interest praise or put down something.

I have seen negative reviews of the Stinger. Granted - there isn't a lot of them but there is quite a few. Carwow has a "semi"-negative review on the Stinger. Check here:

But also look at the comments - the comments are bashing the reviewer for "brand bias", "KIA hater", "You just don't like it cause its a KIA" and etc... etc... This is true for any video that talks about the Stinger and/or Genesis G70 in a slightly negative light.

And to be fair to Carwow - his review wasn't even all that negative. He praised the fun driving ability and the improvements from KIA. People just didn't like the fact that he called out KIA's build quality compared to the Germans (which is a fair point.) We can't expect a KIA to have better quality than a BMW or Audi. The KIA Stinger GT2 gives you S4/C43 AMG performance numbers at a cheap price - where you think the cheaper price comes from? Cutting corners.

Originally Posted by arentz07
I find this odd, because the general Avalon customer probably wouldn't like the more sporty nature of the Stinger. However, maybe someone who got an Avalon Touring or something, because they wanted a practical yet at least sporty-looking vehicle, could be more satisfied with the Stringer. It's practical.

For me, I want something with a nice, but not necessarily luxury-car, interior and fun to drive. I find the Stinger to just be a more well-rounded proposition than many entry-luxury cars, like the A4, 3-series, etc., due to the fact that it's larger and less expensive. Also, it doesn't come with the brand image, which for some people could be a pro, not a con. Many people assume BMW and Audi drivers, particularly the entry-level models, are stuck-up wannabes. Now I know that isn't always the case, but at least in the Kia, no one is going to think that. To be honest, part of the good thing about getting a Lexus is that it's the more sensible luxury option, and doesn't incite judgment in the same way as the German brands.
In the context of the A4 and 3 Series, I think people only think its "stuck-up wannabes" if they get the stripper model A4/3 Series. IE: Both the A4 and 3 Series have no options on it and its just the brand.

However - if the A4 and 3 Series (330i and higher) are loaded with options, both cars cost between 54K to near 60K. I wouldn't call that "stuck-up wannabes". That's pretty well off - given the economy we are in right now where everything is super expensive.
Old 10-15-18, 10:31 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by arentz07

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
avalon buyers i've seen tend to be retired seniors and i doubt many would be interested in a stinger.
Fine if you want to quibble with the Avalon example, but what about the Maxima or TLX, which promotes itself as a sportier car? Or a Fusion Sport? The point is, people may be coming from a V6 mid+ sized sedan, and want something sportier. If you go with a BMW 3/4 Series, you would have to drop down from your V6 to a turbo-4 to stay in the Stinger GT price range. I can see people who are used to a V6 hesitant to move down to a turbo 4, whether that view is correct or not.

Quick Reply: Stinger as Possible GS350 Replacement