Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota's Masayuki Kai wants to bring back the Celica and MR2

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 02:57 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts
Default Toyota's Masayuki Kai wants to bring back the Celica and MR2

https://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-...elica-mr2.html

Some promising news! The chief assistant engineer (under Tetsuya Tada) for the Supra MKV wants both of these models in the Toyota lineup again. The Celica would spawn an AWD high performance variant similar to the old GT-Four/All-Trac. No word on exactly what form the MR2 would take be it like the old MR cars or like the S-FR concept (which isn't really an MR2 but cool in its own right).

But it seems that going forward any niche sport model Toyota does in the future, with the exception of Lexus high performance models, will be made through a partnership with another automaker. Mazda and Fiat have done the same thing with the Miata and 124 so maybe this is the new current way for all Japan's *attainable* sporty models.

With model options like these thinning out every year now in the marketplace this is exciting news nonetheless IMO!
Old 09-20-18, 03:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Toyota 86 - Subaru BRZ
Toyota Supra - BMW Z4
Toyota Celica - ???
Toyota MR2 - ???
Old 09-20-18, 09:42 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

does it make me an a$$hole that i don't want toyota to even bother if it's not gonna entirely be a toyota? i'm sorry but it just upsets me that my favorite automaker can't seem to be bothered with making its own sports car, when we know they can! akio toyoda is literally a racing driver!
Old 09-21-18, 02:20 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

These are quality models that never should have ended, or at least could have kept Scion going. Hyundai has no problem selling their Genesis Coupe to rocket race drivers and Mustangs/Camaros/Challengers are in the hands of just about every a-hole high school and college kid. There is plenty of room in this arena.
Old 09-21-18, 06:52 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
These are quality models that never should have ended, or at least could have kept Scion going. Hyundai has no problem selling their Genesis Coupe to rocket race drivers and Mustangs/Camaros/Challengers are in the hands of just about every a-hole high school and college kid. There is plenty of room in this arena.
Toyota overprices their cars vs what the competition offers. $30k+ for a GT86 with a weak wheezy little 200hp engine isnt going to get many people excited about dropping that kind of cash when the competition offers more power and car for similar or less money. The new Supra will suffer the same fate if they want $60k+ for a 380hp sports car.
Old 09-21-18, 06:57 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Toyota 86 - Subaru BRZ
Toyota Supra - BMW Z4
Toyota Celica - ???
Toyota MR2 - ???
I'm not sure if they still need to partner with another automaker. TNGA, a turbocharged 2.0L Dynamic Force engine as the top engine grade and the non turbo version as the base model, AWD system from the new Rav4, fortified MT from the new Corolla. The Celica sounds more feasible than the MR2 though.
Old 09-21-18, 11:39 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,697 Likes on 2,283 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
does it make me an a$$hole that i don't want toyota to even bother if it's not gonna entirely be a toyota? i'm sorry but it just upsets me that my favorite automaker can't seem to be bothered with making its own sports car, when we know they can! akio toyoda is literally a racing driver!
I feel the same way.
Old 09-21-18, 12:33 PM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Toyota 86 - Subaru BRZ
Toyota Supra - BMW Z4
Toyota Celica - some other ridiculous platform to share
Toyota MR2 - Mazda Miata
Given how Supra turned out...
Old 09-21-18, 12:48 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

A new MR2 would make me giddy.

I know it doesn't sit well with a lot of people on here, but it really doesn't bother me when these companies come together to do these joint projects. They can use the best resources and strengths from each. And if their development costs are lower, they can survive on light sales rather than pulling the plug or not offering sporty offerings at all.

If these partnerships can bring us more fun cars that otherwise wouldn't be created, I'm all for it.
Old 09-21-18, 02:53 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

No it doesn't. I feel the exact same way.

Its annoying that Toyota doesn't even bother to make their own sports car. What they did to the Supra is super annoying and insulting the Supra name.

I hope they don't even make the MR2 or Celica because I'm afraid they might share platforms with another company to do it.
Old 09-21-18, 07:17 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mk416
Toyota 86 - Subaru BRZ
Toyota Supra - BMW Z4
Toyota Celica - some other ridiculous platform to share
Toyota MR2 - Mazda Miata
Given how Supra turned out...
To me, a MR2 would not be a MR2 unless it is a rear-mounted, mid-engine car, so it cannot be a rebadged Mazda Miata.

As I remember (it may be an urban myth but that merely adds to the legend), the MR2 was produced by moving the engine bay of the FWD Corolla from the front to the rear of the car. So why not move the engine bay of the new TNGA-C Corolla from the front to the rear and make a new MR2?

And seeing as how the last Celica was related to the 9th-generation Corolla, could a new Celica be built on the new, super-stiff, FWD / AWD TNGA-C platform?
Old 09-21-18, 08:38 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
Smile

I feel the same way. The new Supra is a joke compared to the MKIII and MKIV.
Old 09-22-18, 11:32 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
To me, a MR2 would not be a MR2 unless it is a rear-mounted, mid-engine car, so it cannot be a rebadged Mazda Miata.

As I remember (it may be an urban myth but that merely adds to the legend), the MR2 was produced by moving the engine bay of the FWD Corolla from the front to the rear of the car. So why not move the engine bay of the new TNGA-C Corolla from the front to the rear and make a new MR2?

And seeing as how the last Celica was related to the 9th-generation Corolla, could a new Celica be built on the new, super-stiff, FWD / AWD TNGA-C platform?
It was a joke, but yes I agree; MR2 has not been "MR2" since the successor iteration of SW20...

Not sure about Celica, but I do not think that Toyota would produce another model to cannibalize their own sales from GT86. That car is selling so well that it makes no sense to create something that would divert sales from all the R&D you already poured into another model. In addition, the new Celica is NOT likely going to chip off sales from other competitive makers like Hyundai's Genesis or Ford's Focus ST.
Old 09-22-18, 12:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

there will certainly be smaller than 86 model... but what exactly? It makes sense for it to be MR2.
Old 09-22-18, 01:07 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
No it doesn't. I feel the exact same way.
ok yea i figured it was other stuff that makes me one