Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Chevy Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-18, 04:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
When I think of the Blazer I think of the "S10" Blazer. I don't even think of the K5 Blazer. The S10 was the more popular iteration, and like was said the K5 may have a "redneck cult following" but those people aren't going to be buying the new Blazer.

I'm a pretty well versed car guy and it would never occur to me to think this new Blazer was odd because its 4 doors....
This is well said and to the point. I doubt anyone truly cares about the difference better K5 and S10 Blazers. This discussion of the naming is kinda pointless

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-18-18 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-18-18, 04:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't think the 4-door issue is the only sticking point with traditionalists. It is also not a body-on-frame SUV like its predecessors.
Neither is the current Explorer. Or the current Pathfinder, they were both RWD based BOF SUVs that are now FWD based unibody crossovers today. Times change, that sort of vehicle is not what consumers want anymore, they want car based crossovers. My first car was a 95 Explorer Limited that was an awesome truck, but it rode terrible, it was loud, clunky to drive. A modern family doesn't want that anymore, they want a spacious, carlike crossover. If Chevy had made this new Blazer a BOF 2 door SUV thats what would have been crazy...because nobody would have bought it.

It's true that a lot of traditional full-size, two-door, truck-based Broncos could be found in backwoods places, ranches, construction areas, etc.....but the so-called "redneck" image (as with many automotive stereotypes) is clearly overdone. I've seen a number of people who work in high-tech office buildings, sitting in cubicles, that like these vehicles. In fact, one of my former colleagues bought an F-150 simply because Ford, at that the, had dropped the big two-door Broncos (as Chevy also had done with the big K5 Blazer) and he couldn't get one brand-new any longer.
Driving an F150 is different from liking old 80s K5 Blazers lol

He can buy an old Bronco, but since he didn't he's not the sort of person we're talking about.
Old 11-18-18, 04:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

My first car was a 95 Explorer Limited that was an awesome truck, but it rode terrible, it was loud, clunky to drive.
Agreed that, in most cases (there are a few exceptions) body-on-frame SUV's drive with less refinement than crossovers....no argument there. It also led to a major problem with the truck-based Explorer (and Mercury Mountaineer cousin), where customers complained about the stiff ride. Ford, instead of redesigning the suspension (which dated back to the 1964 Twin-I-Beam suspension on the trucks), took the cheap, easy way out by simply dropping the recommended tire PSIs in the Firestone Wilderness tires to give a softer ride. Firestone protested, and said that the (newly) recommended 26 PSI was simply not enough for safety, particularly on hot, sun-baked roads, at higher speeds, with loaded vehicles. The rest, of course is history....I'm sure you remember what happened.
Old 11-18-18, 04:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You are a big GM fan,
There's plenty that GM makes that does not impress me. To start with, even in the Buick line, I'm not a terribly big fan of the Encore, even though it is well-built and reliable.

surprised you missed that he said below. The Trailblazer was the high end trim line of the S-10 blazer.
True. And it was a body on frame vehicle.

All of this is just making an issue out of nothing.
Agreed we're probably spending too much time on it (me included). No matter what any of us think, it's not going to change anything.....the new Blazer is the new Blazer, period. We either buy it or we don't. Like some others, I think it will indeed sell, but not to traditionalists.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-18-18 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-18-18, 05:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

True. And it was a body on frame vehicle.
Don't pretend thats what you were talking about. You didnt realize that GM made 4 door Blazers in the past...
Old 11-18-18, 05:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Don't pretend thats what you were talking about. You didnt realize that GM made 4 door Blazers in the past...

Not pretending anything. We were discussing Blazers vs. Trail Blazers. With the four doors came a name change....and, of course, its Ascender, Rainier, Bravada, and Envoy variants. And the Envoy, of course, introduced another new feature...the partially cut-away/roll-away roof that allowed tall items such as refrigerators to be carried. I may be wrong, but I don't remember any of the others having that feature.
Old 11-18-18, 05:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

We were discussing Blazers vs. Trail Blazers. With the four doors came a name change..
NO! The 4 Door Blazer existed before the Trail Blazer trim or the name change to Trail Blazer....the name change to Trail Blazer came 10 years after the first 4 door Blazer.

Read what I posted above.
Old 11-18-18, 05:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

NO! The 4 Door Blazer existed before the Trail Blazer trim or the name change to Trail Blazer....the name change to Trail Blazer came 10 years after the first 4 door Blazer.

Read what I posted above.
You are correct. I remember the when GM brought out the Trailblazer trim (above Blazer) along with the Envoy (above GMC Jimmy). Then there was an new gen of models in 2002ish, I think GM dropped the Blazer name all together and just went Trailblazer. Same with GM and just went Envoy.
Old 11-18-18, 05:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, I believe it was 02
Old 11-18-18, 05:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, I believe it was 02
I am all for GM bringing back the Blazer name. I don't think anyone buying it would really care if it denotes K5, S10 or neither. Blazer is one of the rare GM names that has value. I am sure Trailblazer naming will return as well.
Old 11-18-18, 05:42 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not pretending anything. We were discussing Blazers vs. Trail Blazers. With the four doors came a name change....and, of course, its Ascender, Rainier, Bravada, and Envoy variants. And the Envoy, of course, introduced another new feature...the partially cut-away/roll-away roof that allowed tall items such as refrigerators to be carried. I may be wrong, but I don't remember any of the others having that feature.
While in my mind, just saying "Blazer" is the K5, you are clearly not following this thread when you post that. The S-10 Blazer was not the "S-10 TrailBlazer". This was way before the Ascender, Rainier, Bravada and Envoy were even a thing. GMC's version was the S-15 Jimmy (because the GMC Jimmy was the same as the Chevy Blazer).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_S-10_Blazer

Last edited by tex2670; 11-18-18 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-18-18, 08:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
While in my mind, just saying "Blazer" is the K5, you are clearly not following this thread when you post that. The S-10 Blazer was not the "S-10 TrailBlazer".
I am aware of that. There is no such thing as an S-10 Trailblazer...it was a different platform.

While we can talk all night about Blazers, Trailblazers, and different platforms, the main question boils down to the one at hand....a crossover with four doors, and if it will sell. While I myself am not impressed with the basic concept, the short answer is clearly yes.......enough other people are that it will have no problem going out the door at all.
Old 11-19-18, 04:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I am aware of that. There is no such thing as an S-10 Trailblazer...it was a different platform..
Actually there was trailblazer trim line for the blazer model in 1999. Then GM dropped the Blazer naming all together and just went with Trailblazer in 2002.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-19-18 at 04:28 AM.
Old 11-19-18, 07:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Actually there was trailblazer trim line for the blazer model in 1999. Then GM dropped the Blazer naming all together and just went with Trailblazer in 2002.

For a while, Isuzu didn't even have any U.S. market vehicles of their own....they depended on the Ascender (a decontented Trailblazer) and the I-Series trucks, which were simply rebadged versions of the (IMO) truly awful 1Gen Chevy Colorado.
Old 11-19-18, 07:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Back to the topic at hand, anybody know if GMC will introduce a new Jimmy or Envoy version of this upcoming Blazer? I didn't see it mentioned in the OP article. I'd lean towards predicting a yes, but not not necessarily putting money on it.

Quick Reply: 2019 Chevy Blazer