Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Chevy Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-18, 08:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2019 Chevy Blazer

Looks like the Camaro of crossovers

The new two-row model will slot below the Chevy Equinox and larger Chevy Traverse, filling a gap for those who want a larger crossover without a third row.

There's no arguing that the Blazer is certainly a standout in Chevy's lineup. Chevy says each trim will have a distinct appearance with different grilles. The Blazer RS will have blacked-out trim, while the top-grade Premier model will feature chrome brightwork. The entire front fascia, from the wide grille to the thin headlights, looks like it comes straight off the Camaro. The HID headlights are accented with LED running lights.

The profile features sharp cuts on the doors and the ever-so-popular floating roofline. The standard model comes with 18-inch wheels, though 21-inch wheels are available on both the RS and Premier trims. The rear looks less Camaro and more Traverse, though far sharper than Chevy's largest crossover. Like the driving lights, the taillights are LED.

Inside, Chevy says the new model is about personalization. There will be a number of different interior colors available on each trim. The round vents once again recall those on the Camaro. Interior features include an electronically locking glovebox, six USB ports, wireless charging, 4G LTE wireless WiFi and power windows activated from the key fob. Premier and RS models come standard with a hands-free liftgate and are available with adaptive cruise control. Other options include a panoramic sunroof and trailer-hitch assist (on V6-powered models).

Premier and RS models come with a new cargo management system. A rail system in the rear has a movable "fence" that helps prevent cargo from moving around too much. Max cargo capacity is 64.2 cubic-feet, just slightly more than the Equinox's 63.5 cubic feet.

The 2019 Blazer comes standard with a 2.5-liter inline-four making 193 horsepower and 188 pound-feet of torque. GM's 3.6-liter naturally-aspirated V6 is available. That engine makes 305 horsepower and 269 pound-feet of torque. Both engines feature direct injection and stop/start technology and are paired with nine-speed automatic transmissions. The V6 has a max tow rating of 4,500 pounds.

Front-wheel drive is standard, though two all-wheel drive systems are available. The standard system allows the rear axle to be decoupled. Running in front-wheel drive helps improve fuel economy. Premier and RS models both get a more sophisticated twin-clutch all-wheel drive system.
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/06/21/...423423aewe64w/
Old 06-21-18, 08:46 PM
Hoovey689

Last edited by Hoovey689; 06-22-18 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-21-18, 08:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Not sure if this is the right way to go with the new Blazer. GM already has plenty of crossovers (with at least two more on the way from Cadillac)...IMO they don't need another one. The former Blazer (as opposed to the Trail Blazer) was truck-based, two-door, body-on frame, and off-road capable. I say replace it with something similar, as Ford is doing with the upcoming Bronco....though the truck-based Bronco will probably have four doors.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-21-18 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-21-18, 08:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

"Front-wheel drive is standard"

sure looks like it from the horrible proportions

Old 06-21-18, 08:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Place holder for pics. On my iPad and can’t post them at the momemt
yeah, can't get image addresses on safari, but you can on chrome on ipad
Old 06-21-18, 09:23 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

yeah, can't get image addresses on safari, but you can on chrome on ipad
Thanks for the tip. Guess I need to download it
Old 06-21-18, 09:29 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That thing looks freaking cool! Would be a hard decision between it and the Camaro.

Last edited by theory816; 06-21-18 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-21-18, 10:55 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Are my old eyes failing or does this thing look like a Lexus NX?
Old 06-22-18, 12:31 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

looks like a mix of nissan and other stuff.

jumped on the floating roof bandwagon when they were drawing this a few years ago.

Looks like it has the same big blind spots the camaro has with those tiny 3rd windows
Old 06-22-18, 03:24 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Quite a surprise. I was expecting a more typical SUV, especially with the heralded Blazer name. Instead, they went after sporty Camaro styling (and trendy shades of NX, Jeep, and Murano). But do we really need our practical SUV's to mimic an impractical, old-fashioned sports car? No, we do not. GM planners blew the name and concept. However, it does have a tidy, snazzy, and playful look to it. It's also mean and menacing, which gives it something most others in this class do not have.

But once again, like so many other GM designs, it's tarnished by the details. Massive overbite, enormous use of cheap, black plastic on the outside, ridiculous poor-visibility D-pillar, rear turn signal lights that mimic a 1970's Gillig school bus, the dated habit of spelling out a name with separate letters on the side flanks, and old-fashioned a/c vents that stand out like warts on skin. They are also too low to do much good.

I predict this will sell very well for Chevy and eat into Equinox/Traverse sales. There are a ton of GM truck fans, nightlife people, and trendy inner city families that will want the ostentatious look. But for GM, there are too many SUV's out there and too many from Chevy/GMC. Just wait for that next gas spike and we'll have plenty of threads here about struggling companies and rebates.

Will there be a GMC version? My first vehicle was an S-15 Jimmy and that would pique my curiosity.
Old 06-22-18, 04:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Are my old eyes failing or does this thing look like a Lexus NX?
front is NX, sides and back are Nissan, but good improvement for Chevy, especially inside.
Old 06-22-18, 05:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Shoot, had me excited there, as I remember the "big boss" at my first job picking me up in his new Blazer. I thought to myself, this is what successful people drive (haha). Well I mean just normal successful people. The divisional boss had an Acura. And then the CEO came in a Town Car with a driver.

Anyway that looks like a NX200t?

We had a Traverse rental couple weeks ago and I was glad because I really was curious about the cu ft being down to 95. I can only compare it to a friend's 1st gen Traverse, IT IS MUCH SMALLER TO ME BY MAYBE 20 CU FT

GM claims the standards changed and it's the same, I highly doubt it but am not in a position to get 2 side by side. Maybe someone here can as it would likely just require a relationship with a local dealer. So when they say 65 cu ft., I will compare the 65 to a Traverse's original 115.....tiny (but about the same as a X5)
Old 06-22-18, 09:23 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

First post, first sentence is confusing. I have read the Blazer will slot between the Traverse and Equinox which was downsized recently. The Blazer will be the size of a XT5, so larger than a NX. In fact I see some XT5 in the dash except for the awful air vents. I don't see the need for this vehicle in Chevy's lineup although I do like the styling overall.
Old 06-22-18, 09:35 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
black plastic on the outside,.
judging by the shine, it looks like painted graphite.

The other models have other two tone colors.

Old 06-22-18, 09:40 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

It's too bad, meaning imho they are trying to use the name to rekindle what is gone. Like Explorer being a FWD vehicle yet there is a "Police Interceptor." DieHard, Kenmore, Craftsman, Troy Bilt, Entenmann's, Friehofer, all names that people identify with, yet the current product has nothing to do with what it used to be...jmo

How about a Caprice Classic that looks like a Lexus hybrid then?

Quick Reply: 2019 Chevy Blazer