Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Ford Ranger

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-18, 11:20 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2019 Ford Ranger

In the U.S., the Chevy Colorado and Toyota Tacoma rule the roost, with the the aging Nissan Frontier playing a much smaller role. Globally, the situation looks a little different. The Ranger nameplate not only survived but thrived, comparing favorably to stalwarts like the Toyota Hilux. The current T6 generation Ranger has been on sale since 2011 in 180 markets around the globe. It's a completely separate and far more modern truck than the one previously sold in the U.S.

That original Ranger soldiered along for nearly three decades with just a few sporadic updates, but by the time production ended in 2012, sales of the compact truck market had been steadily declining for years. The full-size F-150 offered far more space and utility for not much more money — as well as more profit for the automakers and dealers. But after seeing the sales of the new Chevy Colorado, the folks in Dearborn have taken the hint. Since the Colorado was reintroduced in 2014, the midsize truck market has grown by a whopping 83 percent.

The global Ranger is indeed what you see here, but there are a number of changes to tailor it for an American audience. Rather than a four- or five-cylinder diesel, under the hood you'll find a 2.3-liter EcoBoost turbocharged inline-four. This is a variant of the same engine that's in the Ford Focus RS and the Ford Mustang EcoBoost, though Ford didn't go into details on what separates the engines. It features direct-injection, 16 valves, a twin-scroll turbocharger, forged-steel crank and connecting rods, and chain-driven cams.

Power hasn't been announced, but Ford is targeting class-leading torque for gasoline engines. For reference, the Colorado has 308 horsepower and 275 pound-feet of torque while the Tacoma makes 278 horsepower and 269 pound-feet of torque. The Ranger beats both of those in gear count, too, as the 2.3-liter engine is mated solely to a 10-speed automatic. This transmission was co-developed with GM and is found in everything from the Chevy Camaro ZL1 to the Ford F-150 Raptor to the refreshed 2018 Mustang. Don't rule out a five-cylinder diesel sometime down the line.
Source

Trims listed in video: XL, XL Chrome, STX, XLT, XLT Chrome, XLT Sport, Lariat, Lariat Chrome, and Lariat Sport.
Old 01-14-18, 11:36 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

I'd like a little more windshield and a little less hood, but otherwise it looks pretty great. Need to add the 2.7L Ecoboost as an option. My 1996 Ranger was awesome, glad to see the nameplate come back.

Last edited by geko29; 01-14-18 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-14-18, 11:52 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default More variants, colors, cab styles

Color Palette

• Saber Orange
  • Lightning Blue
  • Hot Pepper Red
  • Absolute Black
  • Magnetic Gray
  • Ingot Silver
  • White Platinum
  • Oxford White
Old 01-14-18, 07:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I am on the fence, it says designed in Australia for America. Likely that won't work IMO as the truck is going to have a sort of non-American feel in some way, I think it will be the interior size. We shall see how it goes with the Ranger.
Old 01-14-18, 08:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

looks really cheap to me, and narrow judging by interior shot.
Old 01-14-18, 08:53 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Not a fan. Does not have a Ford Truck look, nor any resemblance to the all-important, iconic F-150. Taurus interior lags and does nothing to make a mark. This is the danger of being cheap and letting another country carry the design of a bread and butter vehicle for mainstream America. They don't like what we like, and I don't think we will like this either. GM and other brands have gone this same cheap road in the past (Saturn Astra) and it has rarely ever paid off. This may have saved Ford a bundle right now, but will prevent bringing in a wave of profits that could have been. Disappointing.
Old 01-14-18, 10:43 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rather have a tacoma
Old 01-14-18, 10:53 PM
AWD4Mo
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The problem with US designed trucks is too much chrome, and too boxy a design.
I think this one actually has some nice design flair at the front. (still a bit too much chrome!) .Unfortunately, all trucks look the same from the side and rear.
I hope this does well.
Old 01-15-18, 06:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by AWD4Mo
The problem with US designed trucks is too much chrome, and too boxy a design.
I think this one actually has some nice design flair at the front. (still a bit too much chrome!) .Unfortunately, all trucks look the same from the side and rear.
I hope this does well.
You're putting the cart before the horse. Pickup trucks are designed (primarily) to carry cargo and passengers.....not look like Jelly-Beans. They have to be boxy and space-efficient.
Old 01-15-18, 07:39 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm almost certain the Tacoma will lose its sales crown. The Ranger will have more grunt, supposedly better fuel economy, tow and haul kore with the fully boxed framed. The interior certainly LOOKS more expensive than the Tacoma's. Plus I can see a F150 owner getting one of these as a second truck on they days they dont need the F150
Old 01-15-18, 08:24 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like it, can't wait to see full specs and more configurations, also wonder if they will price far enough under the F150 to make it a value alternative.
Old 01-15-18, 09:21 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
Rather have a tacoma
Me too. I was waiting for this Ranger to come out but now I just can't get past the looks.

Originally Posted by situman
I'm almost certain the Tacoma will lose its sales crown. The Ranger will have more grunt, supposedly better fuel economy, tow and haul kore with the fully boxed framed. The interior certainly LOOKS more expensive than the Tacoma's. Plus I can see a F150 owner getting one of these as a second truck on they days they dont need the F150
I really hope this will benefit the consumers buying the Tacoma. For the past year, I've been pricing and shopping for a Tacoma and dealers aren't willing to budge much on the price. I can surely see Toyota Tacoma fleet sales will take a huge hit though.
Old 01-15-18, 10:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
I agree. Toyota does a good job on a truck's drivetrain and mechanicals, but the cheap interior components and C-channel frame are drawbacks.....although, according to Toyota, the front sub-frames holding the engine are fully-boxed.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-15-18 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-15-18, 10:48 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I think it's decent looking, but I would have a very, very hard time with a turbo 4 in a truck, no matter the output.
Old 01-15-18, 12:42 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

nice come back with the ranger. ford's bringing in the competition. this will surely chomp on the colorado and tacoma sales figures. i am predicting lifts, BOV's and blown engines in its future

Quick Reply: 2019 Ford Ranger