Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Kia Stinger

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-17, 02:15 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default 2018 Kia Stinger

I got a call from the KIA dealer that the Stingers are in stock so I went down for a test drive. I test drove a GT1 model with RWD. It was black with a red interior and it looked great. Sticker was $44,000. The car is quieter than I expected (about like my RX350) and the ride is really good even with the big tires. The most impressive thing about the drive was easily the acceleration. The response (except from idle) is immediate and very strong a bit like the Q60 Redsport. The slight flat spot at idle is only noticeable because the acceleration from then on is so strong.
The paint quality is excellent and their metallic red would warm Mike Marshall's heart.
Now, to convince the wife that it is time to replace her beloved Accord coupe. It is 6 years old and just turned 31,000 miles.
Steve
Old 12-18-17, 02:18 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

They're awesome. I'd very seriously consider one if I were in the market right now.
Old 12-18-17, 02:55 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice, looking forward to seeing these out and about.
Old 12-18-17, 04:05 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really impressed with the Stinger. When you look at Kia's trajectory in the car manufacturer world, it's a truly amazing achievement to bring a car to the market that's being compared to the Germans in terms of handling/ride/acceleration. All this from a mass market manufacturer rather than a luxury brand.
Old 12-18-17, 04:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
The paint quality is excellent and their metallic red would warm Mike Marshall's heart.
There are a number of nice Candy-Apple-Red paint jobs available, from several different manufacturers. Yes, it has become a popular color....and some automakers charge extra for it, particularly if it is done with the Pearl Tintcoat process.

Now, to convince the wife that it is time to replace her beloved Accord coupe. It is 6 years old and just turned 31,000 miles.
Steve
I can understand getting a new car after 6 years (I usually do so myself), but 31K miles on a Honda Accord is barely broken in. Of course, a low-mileage car, particularly if it is well-cared-for, will often bring a nice trade-in value.
Old 12-18-17, 06:47 PM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Really impressed with the Stinger. When you look at Kia's trajectory in the car manufacturer world, it's a truly amazing achievement to bring a car to the market that's being compared to the Germans in terms of handling/ride/acceleration. All this from a mass market manufacturer rather than a luxury brand.
Wasn't that what Lexus was trying to achieve with the IS and GS?
Old 12-18-17, 07:13 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Meeting a set benchmark is easy when you steal their engineers and reverse engineer their products. The true test is innovation.
Old 12-18-17, 07:15 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by webra
Wasn't that what Lexus was trying to achieve with the IS and GS?
IS was challenging the 3 series at a time when it was the benchmark and a well deserved love-in with the car magazines. The GS was always a hit-miss vehicle because it didn't really slot in properly with engine and transmission choices. It also was always a little odd in its styling. Made a big splash in 1997 for the 98 MY and kinda faded away after that.

Kia imported the German engineering wizards and stylists to work on this car. So that's significant. Kia is still a mass market brand and not a luxury brand. That's what is so interesting with the Stinger. It has a Genesis relative, but if you don't want that then the Stinger is a good choice.
Old 12-18-17, 07:27 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Kia / Hyunday / Genesis are on fire.
Cant wait to see new Genesis coupe and SUV.
Old 12-19-17, 03:40 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Will be curious to see what the end product is for the Genesis coupe, I'm hoping they put the TTV6 in with decent weight.
Old 12-19-17, 07:40 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I've been wanting to see the Stinger in person. It looks awesome in pictures.
Old 12-19-17, 07:41 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I didn't know they were making a new Genesis coupe? I loved those cars when they came out.
Old 12-19-17, 07:44 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

This thread title could be a good ad tag line for Kia. The Stinger's Are Here!
Old 12-19-17, 07:59 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
This thread title could be a good ad tag line for Kia. The Stinger's Are Here!
Get Stung Today!
Old 12-19-17, 08:40 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I didn't know they were making a new Genesis coupe? I loved those cars when they came out.
The Genesis G70 sedan is the next release. There are a few tests of the Korean spec version on you tube. It is on a slightly shorter (2") wheelbase version of the Stinger chassis with the same engine options, It is slightly lighter than the Stinger, so it may be just a little bit faster. This is Genesis version of the 3 series and A4. Everything I have heard about the Genesis coupe is that it will be a G70 chassis and powertrain much like the 4 series or A5. That should put the Sport version (V-6 TT) at similar performance to 440i and S5. There is probably quite a bit more power to be had from the 3.3 V-6, so maybe we'll see even a high performance version.
Steve

Quick Reply: 2018 Kia Stinger