Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 BMW 530e Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-17, 09:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default 2018 BMW 530e Test Drive

Last week we went for lunch and after lunch we decided to check out some cars for fun. We had no intention of trying any test drives. We just wanted to look around, pick up a few magazines from the dealers and go. We checked out Audi first, and then after Audi we said lets look at BMW as it would be interesting to check out BMW and what they are like right after we checked out Audi. So as we enter BMW, we approached by two young women who offer to mention a new promo that is going on. We were then informed that BMW is holding a National promotion where if you are simply willing to test drive the new 5 series, they will donate $20 to a charity and they will also give you a Tile device ($75 value) to attach to a purse, bag or wallet that then attaches to a iPhone or Android device. So after looking around at some of the cars inside the dealer, I take the offer and I try out a new 2018 530e.

Overall, BMW has nailed everything. I am not going to get into the whole idea of who has better softer trim here or there or whether the ride is supple or firm enough. This new 5 series has those soft closing doors like the 7 series. I do think BMW has surpassed Lexus is ride and smoothness. Smooth and quiet. Less sporty and more luxury ride.

Everything inside felt so perfectly placed. The steering wheel was the perfect thickness with beautiful smooth leather. All the controls were so perfectly placed. The new 5 series has voice, touchscreen, iDrive and gesture control. The gesture control worked perfectly. Nice seats with controls that fit the body perfectly.

Overall, the biggest impression that I was left with was the BMW perception of hybrid. They really did a good job of making the "electric" plug in point. You get the impression that this car is more of an electric car than it is a hybrid or gas car.

I didn't get a chance to go over everything inside as the tech was overwhelming and I didn't have tons of time. And this was a BMW show model and not a dealer model. The model was fully loaded and was white on white. One drawback was that you really have no idea that this is not a 7 series. I also do question what would happen and what the costs would be if something broke inside as everything felt like a computer.

I will add more later.
Old 05-14-17, 10:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Last week we went for lunch and after lunch we decided to check out some cars for fun. We had no intention of trying any test drives. We just wanted to look around, pick up a few magazines from the dealers and go. We checked out Audi first, and then after Audi we said lets look at BMW as it would be interesting to check out BMW and what they are like right after we checked out Audi. So as we enter BMW, we approached by two young women who offer to mention a new promo that is going on. We were then informed that BMW is holding a National promotion where if you are simply willing to test drive the new 5 series, they will donate $20 to a charity and they will also give you a Tile device ($75 value) to attach to a purse, bag or wallet that then attaches to a iPhone or Android device. So after looking around at some of the cars inside the dealer, I take the offer and I try out a new 2018 530e.

Overall, BMW has nailed everything. I am not going to get into the whole idea of who has better softer trim here or there or whether the ride is supple or firm enough. This new 5 series has those soft closing doors like the 7 series. I do think BMW has surpassed Lexus is ride and smoothness. Smooth and quiet. Less sporty and more luxury ride.

Everything inside felt so perfectly placed. The steering wheel was the perfect thickness with beautiful smooth leather. All the controls were so perfectly placed. The new 5 series has voice, touchscreen, iDrive and gesture control. The gesture control worked perfectly. Nice seats with controls that fit the body perfectly.

Overall, the biggest impression that I was left with was the BMW perception of hybrid. They really did a good job of making the "electric" plug in point. You get the impression that this car is more of an electric car than it is a hybrid or gas car.

I didn't get a chance to go over everything inside as the tech was overwhelming and I didn't have tons of time. And this was a BMW show model and not a dealer model. The model was fully loaded and was white on white. One drawback was that you really have no idea that this is not a 7 series. I also do question what would happen and what the costs would be if something broke inside as everything felt like a computer.

I will add more later.

Thanks for the input. Lincoln, at the D.C. show, had a similar program to your BMW test-drive experience, where you do a test-drive of any Lincoln product, and they donate $75 to your choice of one of five or six charities. (Ford gives you a $50 pre-paid debit card instead). Having already sampled the Continental, MKC, and MKX, I used the Lincoln test-drive offer on the new MKZ with the revised grille and interior. It lost out, though, to the new Lacrosse as my personal choice.

From what you describe, it appears to be a relatively long-range "plug-in" hybrid (similar to the Chevy Volt, Ford C-max Energy, and long-range versions of the Prius) that will run a fair distance on the electric motor alone, before the battery drains and the gas engine has to start re-charging it. How far could the 530e go like that? Did the battery-charge meter give Miles-to-Recharge info?
Old 05-14-17, 11:04 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

just my .02, I drove the G30 540i and x-drive, and found the steering to be too light for my tastes. I used to think it was electric power steering, but on business, I drove a new Malibu and new Pathfinder. The steering was actually a tad heavy on the Pathfinder, meaning not all eps is light like the BMWs. could be a new breed of buyers they're after, i.e. the uber light steering...
Old 05-14-17, 11:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The steering was light and without any road feel. I am sure you can adjust things
Old 05-14-17, 11:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
just my .02, I drove the G30 540i and x-drive, and found the steering to be too light for my tastes. I used to think it was electric power steering, but on business, I drove a new Malibu and new Pathfinder. The steering was actually a tad heavy on the Pathfinder, meaning not all eps is light like the BMWs. could be a new breed of buyers they're after, i.e. the uber light steering...
I believe you can go about 30 miles. The gas kicks in.
Old 05-14-17, 11:26 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

The steering was light and without any road feel. I am sure you can adjust things
You can go into sport and sport+, but it's an artificial feel....(why should I really care) my fear is the next 3 will be no better, because this is what buyers now want, light pinkie drive Caddy Eldorado steering! It's been in place for about 2012-2017, that's a long time. As mentioned, a HS kid gets a 2007 335i from their parents, and will post on the forum, "How do I fix my steering, it's too heavy and probably broken?"
Old 05-14-17, 11:33 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

It is normal for the latest model to lead.
I can only hope that Lexus gets their next generation 2019-26 5GS plug-in hybrids into gear quickly.
Considering how late Lexus has come to the party recently, it won't be an easy task.
Old 05-14-17, 11:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

My take on steering is that all these manufacturers have figured out by their research what people actually want. BMW is not stupid. My sister leases as BMW and loves it and she was a former IS Lexus owner. Of course other opinion may differ.
Old 05-14-17, 12:11 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

BMW steering was once the best but ever since they went to electric they have really lost their magic.

I prefer the steering in BRZ, which is also electric over my M3 by far as it is way more direct and has way more feel.

The base 3 and 5 have steering like a boat.
Old 05-14-17, 03:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

My take on steering is that all these manufacturers have figured out by their research what people actually want. BMW is not stupid. My sister leases as BMW and loves it and she was a former IS Lexus owner. Of course other opinion may differ.
Did she sample any older BMW steering units, before the change-over to the electric ones? The older hydraulic ones were almost like magic in their tactile feel.....the engineers that designed them truly knew what they were doing. In fact, had the price been a little lower, and the reliability a little better (they had electronic, hardware, and fuel-pump issues), I myself would have seriously considered a last-generation AWD 335i
Old 05-14-17, 06:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Not sure. Her husband had a number of BMWs from the 1990s but overall, I just know her IS250 has been totally forgotten.
Old 05-14-17, 06:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

F10 5 series with M sport package has 5 different steering settings. Maybe the electronic steering is not as direct as hydraulic steering, but with xdrive even hydraulic steering is completely numb.
Old 05-14-17, 06:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Haven't driven the new 5, sat in it and it seems very nice inside. I love the new styling, there's one that parks in my garage at work. Electric steering is what it is, numb and nobody really has found a way around that.

I do agree about BMW and the ride and smoothness. I have driven a new 740 and it is every bit as smooth and quiet as my LS, I wouldn't say moreso but very similar. 740 may very well be my next car, I've really grown to like them on the road. I would have a real hard time going back to something smaller like the 5. Leases are pretty good, an early $90k MSRP one is leasable about $1,150 which isn't bad for the cost of the car.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to hear the 5 is a great riding sedan and more so than the GS. My only niggle about the 5 was the less than stellar stitched "leather" on the dash. Not very convincing, and nowhere near as smooth and thick feeling as leather dashes in the 7 or even the X5, surprised me. I don't know maybe with better leather packages you get a better dash pad?
Old 05-14-17, 08:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
this is what buyers now want, light pinkie drive Caddy Eldorado steering!
it's so they can steer with one hand, and take snapchat pics with the other hand.
Old 05-14-17, 08:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's so they can steer with one hand, and take snapchat pics with the other hand.

Judging by what I see on the road every day, it's so they can drive with one hand and text with the other.

Quick Reply: 2018 BMW 530e Test Drive