Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 BMW 530e Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-17, 11:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ragingf80
I wish the M cars at least kept the old hydraulic systems, but that's probably not economically feasible.
I hear you. I am sure they could do it. Just an interesting example of steering systems, the new Tacoma is using the same engine as a GS350, but Toyota installed the old style steering system that is not electric. I thought for sure Toyota would move to electric on the Tacoma.
Old 05-17-17, 11:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I just saw something where the new G M5 is AWD? lol nothing is sacred anymore...
Road and Track says that you will be able to shift it from 2WD or 4WD. So it will have both options and all nanny controls off.
Old 05-17-17, 11:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I fully agree with most of you about the tactile and road-feel superiority of a good hydraulic system (notice that I said a GOOD system LOL) . But, let's not forget that there are also advantages to electric units, besides the much-publicized (and minor) 1-2% gas mileage improvement. First, there is no hydraulic fluid to leak out, deteriorate with time, or need changing. Second, the lack of a hydraulic pump means that there are no seals or gaskets to fail (or, at most, fewer seals and gaskets). Third, the pump will never need to be flushed or cleaned out (that once happened on my old Lexus IS300). Fourth, there is no drive-belt for the pump to squeak, slip, wear out, adjust pulleys, or break. Fifth, you get less noise from the system (conventional pumps sometimes groan or squeak under pressure). So, while you may no longer be able to steer BMWs simply by tactile-sense alone, going strictly by road-feel, you will, at the same time, gain a number of other advantages.
Old 05-17-17, 12:41 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I believe the conspiracy theory behind BMWs super light EPS....Audi was the same in the last gen A4, ditto last Passat....because if we go way back, I drove a Chevy Cruze rental and that may have been the first car to have it, this was like 2005. I went out of my way to try to see if the steering was somehow different, and it was not. The 2017 Chevy Malibu, steering feels fine, 2017 Nissan Pathfinder, a little underassisted....so I guess BMW is giving what their customers want....maybe they say we have sport and sport +....tried those and very artificial and the car shifted all crazy in those modes....
Old 05-18-17, 12:14 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no denying the new 5-series is the BEST vehicle in its segment. The recent C&D comparison was bogus. BMW, to much of my "traditionalist" chagrin, delivered exactly what the market desires.

Sure it's not as sporty as the XF, but when's the last time anybody's seen an XF? That **** poor interior is a deal breaker the minute you sit inside it.

BTW OP, were the chicks at the dealer babes?

Last edited by BrownPride; 05-18-17 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-18-17, 12:18 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did she sample any older BMW steering units, before the change-over to the electric ones? The older hydraulic ones were almost like magic in their tactile feel.....the engineers that designed them truly knew what they were doing. In fact, had the price been a little lower, and the reliability a little better (they had electronic, hardware, and fuel-pump issues), I myself would have seriously considered a last-generation AWD 335i
This is why I am so deeply in love with my E90. Forget BMW, there's no cars on the market from any manufacturer (except the likes of super cars) which provide the telepathic steering that communicates every groove in the road to your finger tips.

It's just a sign of the times
Old 05-18-17, 12:21 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Haven't driven the new 5, sat in it and it seems very nice inside. I love the new styling, there's one that parks in my garage at work. Electric steering is what it is, numb and nobody really has found a way around that.

I do agree about BMW and the ride and smoothness. I have driven a new 740 and it is every bit as smooth and quiet as my LS, I wouldn't say moreso but very similar. 740 may very well be my next car, I've really grown to like them on the road. I would have a real hard time going back to something smaller like the 5. Leases are pretty good, an early $90k MSRP one is leasable about $1,150 which isn't bad for the cost of the car.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to hear the 5 is a great riding sedan and more so than the GS. My only niggle about the 5 was the less than stellar stitched "leather" on the dash. Not very convincing, and nowhere near as smooth and thick feeling as leather dashes in the 7 or even the X5, surprised me. I don't know maybe with better leather packages you get a better dash pad?
It's not real leather, but it's 100x better than the ugly infused plastic they had on every model before, save for the higher trims where leather dash/doors was an option. IMO it was worst on the E70 X5 and current X3. Looks like a dull rock from a cave.

From what I've read on Bimmerpost, the new 5er will eventually have the option of real leather for the dash/doors once the Individual package comes around.
Old 05-18-17, 12:24 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
Well, not all BMWs hydraulic systems are as direct as the E92. For instance My 2012 X5 and 2015 X1 have hydraulic steering (AFAIK), and they are both very numb and certainly not "magical" at all. Just average, which probably has a lot to with them being AWD. My 2017 X6M has electric steering, and while its not very lively its probably as good as steering can get for such a heavy vehicle. I've also driven a bunch of BMW loaners with electric steering and AWD, and with exception of X4 m40i they all drove like Camrys.

That said, there is still a mechanical link in both hydraulic and electric systems, so its very much possible to make a hydraulic system feel very disconnected and make electric system very direct. I certainly don't think that my m235 steering feels artificial or numb - it's very lively and responsive, with just the right amount of weight and feedback for me, at ANY speed.
The hydraulic steering on the E70 was "magical" for its segment. It was heavy and had enough feel, certainly more than the Cayenne or any other luxury SUV I had driven.

The issue isn't so much hydraulic vs. electric as it is BMW management. It's not like BMW doesn't have the engineering talent to build the best electric steering in the business, it's that they CHOOSE not to.
Old 05-18-17, 12:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
It's not real leather, but it's 100x better than the ugly infused plastic they had on every model before, save for the higher trims where leather dash/doors was an option. IMO it was worst on the E70 X5 and current X3. Looks like a dull rock from a cave.

From what I've read on Bimmerpost, the new 5er will eventually have the option of real leather for the dash/doors once the Individual package comes around.
Imitation leather can look better than that. My LS460 has stitched imitation leather on the dash and doors and its way more convincing than what they are using on the 5 series,