RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Check Out This Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-02, 03:39 PM
crazyfool
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Check Out This Review

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/compa...7/article.html
Do you believe this? Last Place? Beat out by the Acura MDX, Audi Allroad, which isn't even an SUV at all, and the BMW X5.

Last edited by crazyfool; 11-06-02 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-06-02, 03:57 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

All I can say is WHATEVER. I truly hope no one makes a vehicle purchase based upon any review that they read... there is no substitute for a test drive.
Old 11-06-02, 05:00 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is so wrong on so many levels

They admit their bias:
It's no big secret that we like BMWs. Look through any one of our past comparison tests, and 9 times out of 10, if there was a BMW participating, it finished at or near the top. We have been accused of cashing checks from the Bank of Munich more times than we can count, and if you're thinking about firing off an e-mail telling us that we should change the name of our site to "bmwlovers.com," save it — plenty of others have beaten you to it.

And finally tell thge truth:
The BMW X5 is the least compromised vehicle of the bunch. It gives up almost nothing to its sedan stablemates in terms of vehicle dynamics, but it also offers little extra in return. Basically, it sits higher and has all-wheel drive. If those are two vehicle attributes you absolutely must have, and you're willing to throw practicality out the window in the process, the X5 is your vehicle.
Old 11-06-02, 05:43 PM
RX989
Rookie

Having both an RX and an X5 in the family all I can say this article is not an accurate depiction of the SUVs. First of all the Lexus has the BMW beat hands down in comfort, front and back where they rank the X5 ahead. Also, has anyone here actually tested the MDX? After reading all the glowing reviews, I had to drive one myself. Boy was I disappointed, from the atrocious dash setup to the choppy ride I could not find one aspect of the vehicle (except I did like the exterior styling) that was above the RX.
Old 11-06-02, 05:49 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

I've driven an MDX - same impressions as you posted RX989. Disappointing and overhyped were the two words that came to mind.
Old 11-06-02, 10:18 PM
Chuckieb
Driver School Candidate

Well, I read the review, because we have been trying to decide between an 01 MDX and a 00 RX300, and I did a lot of research using Edmunds. There were things we liked about the MDX, power, handling, looks, features like the auto seat positions (when you open the doors with remote #1 it automatically adjusts the drivers seat to memory position #1), 8-way adjustable passenger seat, (why are the passengers always 2nd class citizens?) and 3rd row seating. We drove the MDX first, then the RX300, when my wife & I drove away from the Lexus dealer we both agreed the MDX was nicer inside. But, a couple of things bothered us, like she couldn't' reach either armrest while driving (she is 5'1"), the spare under the vehicle bugged us, the woodgrain trim is FAKE!!! So, we wound up with the Lexus. It is MUCH quieter on the highway, much more comfortable to drive, and we have been long-term Toyota owners - I owned an 84 Supra for 9 yers, my wife is driving a '91 Celica GT she bought new - and we bought this vehicel on teh "10-yr plan", and we are still convinced we made the right decision.

By the way, just joined this forum yesterday - so far it has been worth it's weight in gold! Thanks so much!