Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Lexus ES 350 vs Nissan Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-17, 05:32 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2016 Lexus ES 350 vs Nissan Maxima

I posted this in the 6ES forum already but wanted to post in the car chat to see what everybody else has to say. ]Which car do you prefer? Do you consider the maxima a luxury car in the platinum trim? My cousin has been arguing with me about this subject for a while now so I wanted to get some opinions. He says the es is nothing but a souped up Camry,and he claims the maxima is "WAYY SMOOTHER"he says the maxima will smoke the es no doubt it is faster but Nissan claims that it is a "sports" sedan while the es is nothing but luxury. Also which car is nicer inside out? Looking forward to the replies.
Old 02-15-17, 05:34 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Drive them yourself and you will find out which one is smoother.
Old 02-15-17, 07:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I disagree with your cousin's view. An ES is more than a "souped-up" Camry. And he (or she) needs to study up on terms a little.....the term "souped up" usually refers to a larger, more powerful engine, not luxury-coddling or comfort. Among other things, the ES has noticeably better fit/finish, parts-fit, and sound insulation than a Camry....though it doesn't necessarily ride any smoother over thumps (depends on the Camry's tire/wheel size).

I examined a Maxima closely at the recent D.C auto show, though I haven't actually test-driven one for a couple of years. On the surface, it appeared to be well-built, with good materials, and well-screwed together from the factory. But, I thought the overly-raked, C-pillar "floating roof" was a gimmick, Nissan uses CVT (continuously variable) transmissions whose long-term reliability I am not sold on, and, even apart from the transmissions, under the skin, according to Consumer Reports, a number of Nissan products have lately been unreliable by today's standards. Lexus also gives you a better warranty (6/70 and 4/50) and customer service.....Nissan's warranty is the same general 5/60 and 3/36 as most mainstream Japanese manufacturers. If it were my money, I'd go with the ES, hands-down.

Do you consider the maxima a luxury car in the platinum trim?
I'd consider it a borderline luxury/semi-sports sedan.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-15-17 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-15-17, 11:17 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I owned a 10' Lexus ES and drove a rental Maxima several months ago.
Lexus ES has much better interiors finish.
Maxima felt much stronger and solid than ES.

If their prices are similar, I'd choose ES over Maxima.
Old 02-15-17, 06:46 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not just a fancy camry. Only people that say that have never driven one smh. By the way they are based on the Avalon frame now anyway.

Never been a fan of Nissan/Infinti plastic material, or that CVT system.
Old 02-15-17, 08:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I would definitely argue that the past ES models were indeed Lexus versions of a Camry. The current ES is more of a high end Avalon. All built off the Toyota K platform.

As for how the ES vs Maxima. Both are nice cars. The Maxima is closer to a premium car. The ES is a luxury car.
Old 02-15-17, 10:08 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The Maxima is pitched as a "four-door sports car." Even in luxury trim, the car's DNA and roots lean to sportiness. The ES is all about luxury, isolation, and smoothness. Both drive nice and both felt solid to me. But the Nissan is definitely the sportier of the rides. I believe it comes down to what you value more- the sporty experience or the luxury experience.

Other points: The Maxima should cost a bit less. Nissan, in the past, has used cheaper materials for construction. Their longterm reliability isn't as good as comparable Toyota/Lexus products. The ES is built better in my opinion, and would be the type of car to last 200k miles without issues.
Old 02-16-17, 05:53 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The Maxima is pitched as a "four-door sports car." Even in luxury trim, the car's DNA and roots lean to sportiness. The ES is all about luxury, isolation, and smoothness. Both drive nice and both felt solid to me. But the Nissan is definitely the sportier of the rides. I believe it comes down to what you value more- the sporty experience or the luxury experience.

Other points: The Maxima should cost a bit less. Nissan, in the past, has used cheaper materials for construction. Their longterm reliability isn't as good as comparable Toyota/Lexus products. The ES is built better in my opinion, and would be the type of car to last 200k miles without issues.
The 4DSC is such a misnomer. There are entire segments of 4 door sedans that are faaaaar more sporty than the Maxima. Hahaha

Last edited by EZZ; 02-16-17 at 05:57 AM.
Old 02-16-17, 07:45 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

I'll take an ES over Maxima.
1. Made in Japan
2. Better fit and finish.
3. Doesn't pretend to be something it's not, a 4DSC
Old 02-16-17, 08:15 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

I had 2 maximas in the past which I loved, a 99 and 02. They were great cars, and I wanted to consider some of the newer ones, but a few things that really annoyed me about them, the CVT and fwd. If they had a DCT transmission and rwd and awd drive I may consider one again. But between the 2, the ES. I'm not a big fan of the new Maxima styling, especially the side pillars.
Old 02-16-17, 08:51 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
1. Made in Japan
Uh correction; since the 2016 MY, the ES has been manufactured in Kentucky. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

The Maxima is a very good car; it also has been in (I can't remember either KBB or Car & Driver) the "Top 10 fastest depreciating new vehicle" list due to multiple reasons including Nissan's fleet sales. Nissan has been on a rampage (good version) of sales figures in the US in the past decade, a large part of this is due to fleet sales to corporate and rental fleets. Due to this, and the basic economic law of supply and demand, I'd recommend checking out a 1-3 year old Maxima rather than getting a new one.

For me, the Nissan is a gutsier vehicle, it has a wonderful V6, the Platinum trim has pretty respectable interior build. I prefer the "fun and excitement" of the Maxima compared to the ES. That said, Nissan does have some reliability issues in the long term that you won't have to worry about too much with the ES. The ES is based off the Toyota Avalon platform (yes, not a Camry...the Avalon) so it does ride smoother especially the 2016 MY and newer.

At the end of the day, I prefer a more serene ride and thus choose the ES. Purely personal choice and that does not make the Maxima a bad choice. If you do choose the Maxima, look for a pre-owned one for your wallet's sake.
Old 02-16-17, 08:53 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
1. Made in Japan
#1 is no longer necessarily true for the ES. D'ahh Wandl beat me to it =)
Old 02-16-17, 09:14 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I'm going to date myself here a bit and pull us slightly off the topic of ES vs Maxima, but this is what I would consider to be the best Maxima:

Old 02-16-17, 10:35 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'm going to date myself here a bit and pull us slightly off the topic of ES vs Maxima, but this is what I would consider to be the best Maxima:

I prefer the next gen after the one pictured. The 1995 Maxima featured the first VQ ever and it went on to win many many awards thereafter. I had a 96 Maxima and compared to the rest of the competition, it blew them away. The Maximas thereafter started to get too big and eventually became a full size car while the Altima became the midsizer. I always thought they should have reduced the size of the Maxima to really make it a 4DSC. Sad.
Old 02-16-17, 11:39 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I prefer the next gen after the one pictured. The 1995 Maxima featured the first VQ ever and it went on to win many many awards thereafter. I had a 96 Maxima and compared to the rest of the competition, it blew them away. The Maximas thereafter started to get too big and eventually became a full size car while the Altima became the midsizer. I always thought they should have reduced the size of the Maxima to really make it a 4DSC. Sad.
That's actually the same model I had, it was my first car, 96 pearl white maxima with grey leather interior. Sold it with about 172k on the clock.

That said, I like the maxima's before the newest refresh, the new refresh for Nissan, at least the front ends to me look odd. But my mom recently had to have her GS in the dealership for a service package they were applying, and gave her a 15' ES. I gotta say, that ES wasn't bad at all. It looked nice, plenty of interior room, and felt big.

They are two completely different cars, but in terms of refinement, again, probably gonna have to give it to the ES.

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus ES 350 vs Nissan Maxima