Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Lexus ES 350 vs Nissan Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-17, 01:34 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The 4DSC is such a misnomer. There are entire segments of 4 door sedans that are faaaaar more sporty than the Maxima. Hahaha

I agree, it is a misnomer. However, it shows what Nissan's intended market is/was for the Maxima. It is pitched as a sports sedan, not a luxury sedan. That was kind of my original point. Whether is succeeds as a sports sedan, that's another story.
Old 02-16-17, 02:08 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

You really need to take all auto manufacturer's marketing slogans with a grain of salt. They all have them, and are meant to convey an image for their brands.
Old 02-16-17, 02:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
You really need to take all auto manufacturer's marketing slogans with a grain of salt. They all have them, and are meant to convey an image for their brands.
I agree, but sometimes (Gasp!) the ads can actually be correct...or if not, very close to it. Good examples include the BMW "Ultimate Driving Machine"......which I did find pretty much true of the earlier-generation models (not the latest ones), and Hyundai's "Driving is Believing" slogan that they adopted, following the bad old days, when they stopped making junk.
Old 02-16-17, 06:58 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I wouldn't buy a Nissan that's made in the USA. I know people who work(or have worked) for Nissan, both of them say their factory in Smyrna TN and Canton MS are poorly run and their cars aren't very well engineered(their CVT transmissions are notorious for early failures in all their models). Nissan ranks up there with Fiat/Chrysler in terms of quality IMO.
Old 02-16-17, 10:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

there's 'marketing' and there's reality.

the ES is obviously super smooth and refined and has a good 'image' (as what i call 'sensible luxury' ). the maxima, previously marketed as the '4 door sports car' is kind of a joke from a marketing standpoint but it's definitely a nice car. has more 'look at me' (funky) styling than the ES and although i've not driven either latest models, i expect the maxima to be a sportier better handling driver.
Old 02-17-17, 05:45 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
there's 'marketing' and there's reality.

the ES is obviously super smooth and refined and has a good 'image' (as what i call 'sensible luxury' ). the maxima, previously marketed as the '4 door sports car' is kind of a joke from a marketing standpoint but it's definitely a nice car. has more 'look at me' (funky) styling than the ES and although i've not driven either latest models, i expect the maxima to be a sportier better handling driver.
Remember Audi's "truth in engineering" slogan before the diesel scandal? Yikes.
Old 02-17-17, 06:36 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lived with both for a few days each. The ES was extremely smooth and refined. Steering was finger-touch light, and the interior was good from the upper half (lower half of dash and doors was cheap-feeling). Maybe it's b/c it had a beige interior, but I felt like a senior citizen driving it. The Maxima (mid-range model) really impressed me. It's a sharp looking car, and the interior is well-built, high quality for its class, and had a sporty design. It was relatively engaging to drive for a "mainstream" car. I really don't have anything negative to say about that car.

I think your decision should come down to (a) which one you like better after test drives and (b) how much you value having the luxury "badge"
Old 02-17-17, 06:39 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Remember Audi's "truth in engineering" slogan before the diesel scandal? Yikes.
Then they had the nerve to become SJWs and lecture us about "equal pay." After such a huge ethical scandal, VW/Audi should be the last company preaching and acting like they have great morals.
Old 02-17-17, 06:56 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I wouldn't buy a Nissan that's made in the USA. I know people who work(or have worked) for Nissan, both of them say their factory in Smyrna TN and Canton MS are poorly run and their cars aren't very well engineered(their CVT transmissions are notorious for early failures in all their models). Nissan ranks up there with Fiat/Chrysler in terms of quality IMO.
Can’t address engineering or the Canton plant, but re Smyrna plant operation I have a BIL on the floor at the plant, and know other folks on the floor and in the administrative side of the plant. They report no significant operating issues, and good quality coming from the plant. My BIL has told me that since the Nissan North America headquarters has moved here that corporate folks are in the plant frequently, which tends to keep operations in line. One thing they are doing re cost cutting is using as many contract personnel as possible in the peripheral positions. My BIL is a Nissan employee and awaiting the next buyout to retire early.

Re topic, clearly as an ES300h owner we would take ES over Maxima every time (although considering my BIL discount, I came close to getting an Infiniti M37 when we bought the ES). In my opinion the vehicles are meant for different target markets. As a result, I believe that if this topic were posted on a Maxima forum, everyone there would be positive for the Maxima.
Old 02-17-17, 07:04 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Talking

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I lived with both for a few days each. The ES was extremely smooth and refined. Steering was finger-touch light, and the interior was good from the upper half (lower half of dash and doors was cheap-feeling). Maybe it's b/c it had a beige interior, but I felt like a senior citizen driving it.
I always thought that it was because my wife and I are in our 60s that we felt like senior citizens, but it's that damn beige interior in her ES. It's got to be, because I don't feel that way when I am in my truck.
Old 02-17-17, 07:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by wasjr
Can’t address engineering or the Canton plant,
The Canton plant had a long history of quality problems, but, hopefully, by now, they have been addressed.

I believe that if this topic were posted on a Maxima forum, everyone there would be positive for the Maxima.
They probably wouldn't have the sheer number of posters (and posts) that we do on Car Chat, though. This forum is remarkable for its size. Plus, the Maxima itself, in the American market, does not sell in the numbers that other Nissan products do, like the Altima, Sentra, Rogue, and Murano.
Old 02-17-17, 07:18 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Personally I'd no longer worry about quality. I think it's better now and they have several highly ranked cars.

My my sister has a 15 Murano that's been rock solid so far.

I'm driving a 17 Rogue while my Highlander is getting fixed. I don't care for this Rogue at all but it seems pretty tight.
Old 02-17-17, 07:22 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

C&D ranks the Maxima #1 in the Full Size Sedan segment as they see it. Ahead of Cadenza, Avalon, Impala, Lacrosse etc.

They rank the ES much lower in its segment, but it's all over the place with the models they list it with and doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 02-17-17, 08:14 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Originally Posted by mmarshall
They probably wouldn't have the sheer number of posters (and posts) that we do on Car Chat, though. This forum is remarkable for its size. Plus, the Maxima itself, in the American market, does not sell in the numbers that other Nissan products do, like the Altima, Sentra, Rogue, and Murano.
I've always thought that loaded Altimas cannibalize Maxima sales. My BIL said some production is moving to Canton so they can build more Rogues, the sales are so strong. As an aside, although I have not asked lately, a couple of years ago the Smyrna plant was turning out nearly 650,000 vehicles a year, and was allegedly the highest producing car plant in North America.
Old 02-17-17, 06:48 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

No one has mentioned what is an equally important aspect of owning a Lexus... the service. You will not get the type of service with a Nissan that you will with a Lexus. Even the showrooms/waiting rooms are more downmarket for Nissan. If anyone has had a different experience please feel free to share.

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus ES 350 vs Nissan Maxima