Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Safety-3rd brake light flash device

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-15, 11:19 AM
Lovelexus4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safety-3rd light brake pulse

Does anyone have a flashing/pulsing brake light on your Lexus?

If so: where did you get the light?

If not: any input if you think it is a good safety device!?
Old 04-28-15, 11:24 AM
Lovelexus4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safety-3rd brake light flash device

SoCal-Love Life
Old 04-28-15, 02:02 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had one before on a car when I drove a lot.....I feel it offers a slight safety advantage...it can;t hurt.

$5 here....https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...fpMhoC7Rjw_wcB
Old 04-28-15, 02:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lovelexus4

SoCal-Love Life
Welcome to CL.

On vehicles with red turn-signal flashers instead of yellow/amber, flashing brake lights might (?) get mixed up or confused with the turn signals. I have long been in favor of a safety requirement having ALL rear turn-signals amber instead of red, but it has never even an actual regulation in the U.S. that I know of.
Old 04-28-15, 02:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I've had one before on a car when I drove a lot.....I feel it offers a slight safety advantage...it can;t hurt.

$5 here....https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...fpMhoC7Rjw_wcB
I agree. I think there is a slight safety advantage. It would be interesting to see all cars come factory equipped with the third brake light as a flash.
Old 04-28-15, 08:12 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I've seen a few and they are visually eye catching. In traffic when the brakes get applied with frequency the flashing is annoying.

(Merging with the thread in Car Chat)
Old 04-28-15, 09:29 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I am against it and feel it should be illegal (perhaps it already is in some areas). We have to abide by the basics and keep it simple for our primitive, uninterested in safety society. Solid red means stop, flashing means TURN SIGNAL, and white/clear means back up. Anything else is too complicated and is just going to confuse the masses. Flashing means turn, not stop. Now you want to make flashing mean two things? America cannot comprehend a double meaning, let alone grasp a single meaning. America can't even detach from texting while driving. Shame on Kia for adding this in. It looks like a malfunction and throws people off.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 04-29-15 at 01:01 AM.
Old 04-29-15, 12:39 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Some European cars flash the turn/hazard lights automatically on really hard braking. That for me is good enough instead of this flashing red brake light, it reminds me of idiot modders who think red signals are cool.
Old 04-29-15, 06:44 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

I've seen a few and they are visually eye catching. In traffic when the brakes get applied with frequency the flashing is annoying.
they are definitely eye catching - oh and the better flasher modules actually won't flash if the brake pedal is pressed again within xx seconds (programmable).....
--deactivation timeout from either 10, 20, or 40 seconds. So, if you set to 10 seconds and press brake again within the 10 seconds, no flashing.

http://3rdbrakeflasher.com/

Last edited by bagwell; 04-29-15 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-29-15, 08:31 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I am against it and feel it should be illegal (perhaps it already is in some areas). We have to abide by the basics and keep it simple for our primitive, uninterested in safety society. Solid red means stop, flashing means TURN SIGNAL, and white/clear means back up. Anything else is too complicated and is just going to confuse the masses. Flashing means turn, not stop. Now you want to make flashing mean two things? America cannot comprehend a double meaning, let alone grasp a single meaning. America can't even detach from texting while driving. Shame on Kia for adding this in. It looks like a malfunction and throws people off.
That is the question that I have: Is it legal? Could it be illegal in any jurisdictions in the USA and Canada?

Perhaps depending on how quickly it flashes (and would the aftermarket ones flash at a faster or slower rate depending upon how hard you brake) could it be illegal because it may become confused with flashing lights on emergency vehicles? Each state in the USA and each province in Canada may have different regulations regarding warning lights (red, amber, white, blue, etc.) and how quickly they strobe / flash, so an aftermarket one may be legal in one jurisdiction but illegal in another jurisdiction.
Old 04-29-15, 09:39 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

My understanding (which is admittedly weak) of the US laws pertaining to these lights is that it is illegal to flash on/off, but it is legal to flash bright/dim. So in theory, a CHMSL flashing bright/dim should not be confused with a side turn signal flashing on/off.
Old 04-29-15, 11:17 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sulu
That is the question that I have: Is it legal? Could it be illegal in any jurisdictions in the USA and Canada?
http://www.pulseprotects.com/product-info/

LOL - these guys get around the law by claiming it PULSES not flashes......

Pulse is the only pulsing third brake light that meets regulatory requirements for use in all 50 states. Step on the brake pedal and Pulse goes to work pulsing, rather than flashing, the third brake light. What’s the difference? DOT regulations restrict flashing lights to emergency vehicles. Our award winning rear-end collision avoidance technology causes the third brake light to remain steady burning and within the acceptable range of specified minimum and maximum photometric thresholds, throughout the pulsing cycle.

Pulse is proudly designed and manufactured in the USA and each unit is hand-tested twice at the manufacturer before being shipped to the dealer.

looks like a flash to me....

Last edited by bagwell; 04-29-15 at 08:13 PM.