Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thoughts on a new 14 Corolla

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-14, 11:00 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congratulations. new engines these days don't need as extensive a break-in as in the past. But it's still a good idea, for the first several hundred miles, to take it easy on the engine, don't go over 4000 RPM, don't floor the gas pedal, and don't use the brakes full-force except in an emergency to avoid an accident.

I strongly recommend this to take out any surface scratches, stains, and marks in the paint...it will keep it like new.

IMO, you have exactly the right attitude. Far too many people, after a new-car sale, drive themselves nuts worrying about if they got taken, if others paid less, what bargains they missed, etc..... The best and simplest thing is to simply make the best deal you reasonably can, make sure they apply any available rebates, and then just go home, forget about it, and enjoy your new car.

One thing important, though, if you haven't done it yet at the dealership. Many states, by law, give you an automatic 30 days insurance coverage on your present policy for a new car. But, legally, within those 30 days, you have to notify your own insurance company or agent (some like GEICO, operate 24/7 around the clock) and give them the VIN and other data they will need on your new car, and tell them to drop the old one if you traded it in or don't own it anymore. Then, after they update the changes, they will send you a revised bill.

And if you didn't have collision coverage on your old car, you will probably need it on your new one simply because of its vastly increased value.
I am actually a surprised that more people do not go the route of auto buyers or something similar. It simply makes it so much easier. I must say, I am fully convinced that the buyer agency pays out the dealer after the fact as a rebate.

As for breaking the car in that you mentioned earlier, Toyota fully recommends it in the owners manual so I will do what it says. I have broken in a lot of Toyotas and Lexi or the years.
Old 06-10-14, 11:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am actually a surprised that more people do not go the route of auto buyers or something similar. It simply makes it so much easier. I must say, I am fully convinced that the buyer agency pays out the dealer after the fact as a rebate.

As for breaking the car in that you mentioned earlier, Toyota fully recommends it in the owners manual so I will do what it says. I have broken in a lot of Toyotas and Lexi or the years.
Auto buyer-services can often help, but they aren't always the answer....sometimes they have limitations. Not all dealerships will accept them or work with them. And, sometimes, it's not possible to find the exact car one wants, with color, options, etc.....that the service actually gives you a price on. When it does work, though, like in your case, it can be of value.

Anyhow, that's all past you now....you don't need to be concerned with it any more. Enjoy your new Corolla.
Old 06-11-14, 03:21 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You just partially-answered your own question. A redesigned car can have an interior with better-LOOKING materials and fit/finish (at least on the surface) but, in fact, are thinner and somewhat flimsy underneath. When I first saw the new Toyota Avalon in pictures without sitting in it, I thought (like you did with the new Corolla) the the new interior, visually, was leaps and bounds over the old one. That is, until I actually got in, sat, down, and felt a number of interior parts so thin and loose that they seemed like they would come off in my hand. Toyota, unfortunately, has done that with several of its newer vehicles....fortunately, not all of them.
This is ridiculous. The Avalon and Corolla interiors are MILES ahead of the ones that came before them. The old Avalon had a nice interior, the new does too. The newer Toyota interiors mop the floor with the 2006-2010 era cars. This shouldn't even be up for debate.

But to sit here and say with a straight face that the old Corolla's interior is better than the new one's has got to be some sort of sick joke. Materials, styling, and fit n' finish in the new blows away the old one. The old one's interior had to be one of the worst Toyota has ever done.
Old 06-11-14, 03:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
This is ridiculous. The Avalon and Corolla interiors are MILES ahead of the ones that came before them. The old Avalon had a nice interior, the new does too. The newer Toyota interiors mop the floor with the 2006-2010 era cars. This shouldn't even be up for debate.

But to sit here and say with a straight face that the old Corolla's interior is better than the new one's has got to be some sort of sick joke. Materials, styling, and fit n' finish in the new blows away the old one. The old one's interior had to be one of the worst Toyota has ever done.
I agree with this, the new Toyota interiors are superior to the older ones. Maybe more seat time is required to see that.

Old 06-11-14, 04:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, friend, I try to be courteous, but since you're being blunt, yes, it IS up for debate. And no, it is not a joke. I said, several times, that the new interiors LOOKED better than before, but that the older materials were more solid. There.....I said it again..with a straight face.

But that doesn't mean I dislike the Corolla, or won't recommend its purchase. It is still a very nice compact, and I congratulate LexCTJill on her new one.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-11-14 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-11-14, 04:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFather
I agree with this, the new Toyota interiors are superior to the older ones. Maybe more seat time is required to see that.
Looks-wise, I'll agree. No doubt about that. But, with all due respect, you aren't going to convince me on the material solidness. No amount of seat time will change my view on that....any more than somebody can convince you that Acura knows how to build sedans. You have your own view, I have mine, and that's it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-11-14 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-11-14, 07:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I agree with you, the Corolla interior for 14 is miles and miles ahead of the old one. I didn't really care for the Corolla until I saw the new one. The design of the exterior and especially interior is what drew me to it.
Almost all of the refreshed Toyotas are better than before.

The features of the 14 Corolla blow away the last gen.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-11-14 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-11-14, 07:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Looks-wise, I'll agree. No doubt about that. But, with all due respect, you aren't going to convince me on the material solidness. No amount of seat time will change my view on that....any more than somebody can convince you that Acura knows how to build sedans. You have your own view, I have mine, and that's it.
You can be very stubborn in your views something. There is very little to praise about the 08-13 Corolla interior compared to the 14. The plastic was pretty poor. So were some of the features.
Old 06-11-14, 08:05 PM
LexFather

I'm sorry Mike but its clear some of us feel you are wrong in your assessment here. The Corolla interior has gotten good reviews, it is one of the bright spots. My views on Acura seem to be on par with reviews and the buying public or in their case NON buying public Toyota has heard the critics and put focus and money into their new interiors.

Old 06-11-14, 08:45 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexFather

Why even post? If they want a Toyota and the title says "thoughts on a new 14 Corolla", that should be a good hint they might be leaning toward one.

they just said they only want toyota and nothing else. they love toyota so much that they aren't even gonna test drive mazda3 and probably they didn't even bother checking out hyundai, nissan, chevy, ford, vw, honda, etc. asking how's the car they will going to buy is kinda weird to me. i mean they have no choice right? it's corolla or nothing.

Last edited by hlee12; 06-11-14 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-11-14, 09:46 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

material on here wasn't bad, but design was so generic.

give me new one over that. but i do remember my friend's 92 camry had pretty damn nice interior quality. but it was too long ago. i don't even remember much about it. i know many are saying that camry had better quality than today's. not sure if that's true or not
Old 06-11-14, 09:49 PM
Keiffith
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

too small- still
too cheasy and just not a well thought out design. not that you can expect much with any car thats been made the last 10 years.
Old 06-11-14, 11:57 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hlee12
material on here wasn't bad, but design was so generic.

give me new one over that. but i do remember my friend's 92 camry had pretty damn nice interior quality. but it was too long ago. i don't even remember much about it. i know many are saying that camry had better quality than today's. not sure if that's true or not
That's the 9th gen Corolla, which had a very respectable interior for the day. The '09-13 10th gen model is the one being compared to the current car and that was a huge downgrade from the 9th gen.

Last edited by 84Cressida; 06-12-14 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-11-14, 11:58 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

The 10th gen's dash was entirely hard plastic, the door cards were very thin and known to break, the center console was hard plastic, the cloth was cheap, the headliner was cheap, a/c controls were primitive with louvers and cables, etc. it goes on and on. The previous generation Corolla has got to the be the only car in recent memory that had to have big updates almost every year to update it against the competition. The new front and rear for 2011 that came a year earlier than usual, the new hubcaps and Bluetooth system for 2012 that looked hideous and aftermarket, and yet again another new Bluetooth system this time the touch screen for 2013, that also looked aftermarket. The car got dated and fast.

The 11th gen literally corrected all of the above. Dashboard is soft touch plastic, door panels are sturdier and have thicker padding in the cloth, the headliner is woven and plush, the center armrest is padded, the door armrests have stitching, the gear shifter how has a leatherette shift boot and works smoother. I've spent countless hours behind the wheel of both, there is no comparison.
Old 06-12-14, 01:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee12
they just said they only want toyota and nothing else. they love toyota so much that they aren't even gonna test drive mazda3 and probably they didn't even bother checking out hyundai, nissan, chevy, ford, vw, honda, etc. asking how's the car they will going to buy is kinda weird to me. i mean they have no choice right? it's corolla or nothing.
i think it is Toyota/Lexus or nothing... plenty of other cars from TMC fit the bill.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a new 14 Corolla