Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thoughts on a new 14 Corolla

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-14, 09:26 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
around for less than $19k.

Nice interior and nice price. The black and white looks good
Old 06-14-14, 10:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Motor
Nice interior and nice price. The black and white looks good
Its more like an ivory color. The interior is what simply drew me towards this car. The features that came standard were what sealed the deal for me.
Old 06-15-14, 03:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I also got a pizza tonight, NO WAY was I putting it in the interior of the car.
Yep...that's what your trunk is for.

Although you live in Ontario, were it (usually) doesn't get very hot or humid in the summer, if you want to keep those nice ivory seats looking clean, it might be a good idea, now that summer is here, to toss a sheet or other kind of cover over the drivers' seat while you're driving, to keep perspiration from your body from staining that light-color upholstery. A/C, of course, will cool down the interior, but it usually takes a few minutes for that....and, on very light-color seats (I had Ivory seats in my former Outback), perspiration-stains can start building up quickly.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-15-14 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-15-14, 04:22 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yep...that's what your trunk is for.

Although you live in Ontario, were it (usually) doesn't get very hot or humid in the summer, if you want to keep those nice ivory seats looking clean, it might be a good idea, now that summer is here, to toss a sheet or other kind of cover over the drivers' seat while you're driving, to keep perspiration from your body from staining that light-color upholstery. A/C,of course, will cool down the interior, but it usually takes a few minutes for that....and, on very light-color seats (I had Ivory seats in my former Outback), perspiration-stains can start building up quickly.
add The famous BlueJean-transfer on light interiors yes
Old 06-15-14, 05:28 PM
LexFather

Lovely choice, congrats!

Old 06-15-14, 11:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I did my first trip today from Toronto to Rochester and then back all for work today, there are was about 75% freeway as I did have to make some stops along the way. My vehicle is a CDN spec vehicle and it hit exactly right in the middle of the CDN EPA spec at 5.9 litres per 100km (Corolla is rated at 4.9 hwy/6.8 city). I could not be any more thrilled at what I averaged, that would be 39.8 MPG combined for US folks. I drove between 55 mph and 65 mph without using cruise very much as it is not recommended for the break in.

Originally Posted by LexFather
Lovely choice, congrats!
Thanks, much appreciated.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-15-14 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-16-14, 06:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

major improvement over old one, looks good, congrats!
Old 03-23-15, 12:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I thought I would give an update for those who might be interested. My 14 Corolla just rolled past 10,000 miles and here are my thoughts.

-love, love, love the interior design and lay out if this car.
-materials are totally up to my liking. The seats are perfect even though there is no lumber support
-LED headlights should become a federally mandated standard, they are just outstanding.

-the CVT is actually a pleasure to own, I hated the CTV in the previous CT I had, but this vehicle has simulated shifts which makes you feel as though you are shifting. Going forward, I would have trouble buying another car with a CTV from Toyota if they were like this.
-I am currently averaging 34MPG with about 40 percent hwy, 60 percent city. It has become a challenge to keep the fuel economy down
-acceleration is average to below average but sport mode really helps.

-highway passing is no problem whatsoever and merging is not a problem.
-the car has no problem moving from 50mph to 75mph and the can cruise at that speed with no issues, I think it has to do with the CVT.
-there are a whole bunch of steering wheel controls, volume, cell phone, seek, scan, preset change, and voice control

-I can view text messages on the display audio which is great.
-display audio is awesome
-back up camera is one the best features ever on a modern car.

-overall the ride is the perfect balance between firm and soft. In have no complaints.
-road noise and wind noise is pretty minimal.
-the Good Year Eagle tires I have are not bad, I was not thrilled to know I had them, but they are quiet.

-the car is effortless to drive, no stress whatsoever
-highway cruising is so easy

ISSUES:
-I have tiny ever so faint dash rattle in cold weather going over hard bumps, I am probably not going to bother fixing it. Not in the mood to argue with the dealer.
-in very cold weather there is a slight whine from the transmission as it warms up.
-one flat tire that needed replacing.

STUPID Toyota stuff:
-iPod/iPhone playlist automatically starts when left in Bluetooth mode when starting the car. You can leave the iPod paused but when getting back in it will auto start. Its annoying as hell.
-too many stupid green light icons on the instrument panel, (fog lamps on, cruise, cruise set, and ECO)
-it looks like there is an Acura logo on the head lights at night

Cool neat things:
-car vehicle MPG and previous trips can be viewed on the display audio
-I love the leather on the steering wheel
-Aux, USB and dual Bluetooth
-there is just over 2 gallons of gas left when the low fuel light comes on, this out of a 13 gallon tank.
-3 blink lane changing feature is a gem to have

Things to change:
-not much design wise
-Toyota needs to really consider having navigation as standard for display audio.
-a glove compartment lock should be considered.

Comments from family who have driven my car:
-LED headlight coverage is amazing
-the car is easy to drive and is very relaxed

Overall, I think I'm keeping the car. The only maintenance I have had so far are two oil changes. I do not miss my CT.
Old 03-23-15, 04:42 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We get a different Corolla

Old 03-23-15, 10:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

ISSUES:
-I have tiny ever so faint dash rattle in cold weather going over hard bumps, I am probably not going to bother fixing it. Not in the mood to argue with the dealer.
You probably won't have to argue with the dealer. Most likely, the noise will go away with warmer weather, particularly if the sun hits the dash and really warms it up. Heat causes interior parts to expand, press against each other more firmly, and eliminate the rubbing/slipping which causes rattles and squeaks.

-road noise and wind noise is pretty minimal.
Although it is more or less normal for many tires to cause a little more road noise as they age and the tread wears down (particularly if the tread is wearing unevenly), all else equal, the noise level will also improve somewhat as air and road-pavement temperatures go up. As the rubber in the tire softens with heat, often the ride comfort will also improve over bumps, even with the increasing air pressure in them (which goes up and down roughly 1 PSI for every 10 degrees (F) of air temperature (you may use Celsius in Canada). Wind noise, all else equal, will also usually lessen as temperature goes up, for the same reason that the interior rattles and squeaks lessen or stop.......the rubber weatherstripping and glass-seals expand in the heat and form tighter bonds.

So, in short, from a comfort and quietness standpoint, the warmer it is (up to a point), the quieter the car gets, and the smoother the ride.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-23-15 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-14-19, 05:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

So it has been 5 years today now since I bought this car. For those who are interested I will give a few of my thoughts. Simply a pleasure to own. I currently have 58K US miles on the odometer.

Simple, easygoing, stress free ownership.
Without fail, average 34 mpg fuel economy.
Soft and compliant ride
much roomier than one would think

I have had 11 services. Give or take a few bucks. $768 for the 5 maintenance services. 2 brake services for $199. $312 for 6 oil changes. $215 for two alignments. $800 for new Michelin tires including install, and $325 for two replacement Good Year (was very unimpressed with) replacements. $500 for an OEM windshield.

I still have 7mm on my original front brake pads. And 4 mm on my rear drums.

I don’t have many complaints. Looking back I guess I should of sprung for the Eco model. I don’t have any issues with a CVT. Compared to my Matrix, I prefer the CVT compared to the jerky 5 Auto. My 4Runner has a pretty awesome 5 Auto

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-14-19 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-14-19, 05:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

So it has been 5 years today now since I bought this car. For those who are interested I will give a few of my thoughts. Simply a pressure to own. I currently have 58K US miles on the odometer.

Simple, easygoing, stress free ownership.
Without fail, average 34 mpg fuel economy.
Soft and compliant ride
much roomier than one would think

I have had 11 services. Give or take a few bucks. $768 for the 5 maintenance services. 2 brake services for $199. $312 for 6 oil changes. $215 for two alignments. $800 for new Michelin tires including install, and $325 for two replacement Good Year (was very unimpressed with) replacements. $500 for an OEM windshield.

I don’t have many complaints. Looking back I guess I should of sprung for the Eco model. I don’t have any issues with a CVT. Compared to my Matrix, I prefer the CVT compared to the jerky 5 Auto. My 4Runner has a pretty awesome 5 Auto
You must of meant PLEASURE

Sounds like great cost of ownership
Old 06-14-19, 05:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
You must of meant PLEASURE
:
Thanks. Stupid auto correct.
Old 06-14-19, 05:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Sounds like great cost of ownership
Yeah. It has been pretty easy cost of ownership.
Old 06-14-19, 06:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Your experience has been more or less typical of Corolla ownership. It always was, and probably always will be, a basically reliable, no-frills car, with, on its standard suspension/tires, enough refinement in its road manners and interior comfort to make it a little more than just basic transportation.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-14-19 at 06:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a new 14 Corolla