Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thoughts on a new 14 Corolla

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-14, 02:24 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
A number of things. It didn't feel like a luxury car, more like a premium vehicle. Noiser in road than I expected, higher premium for insurance, and I just did not warm up to the design inside.

I had the CT. The Corolla is not quieter especially below 25 mph where you can drive on EV mode. Don't make this a large factor or you will be disappointed switching to the Corolla.
Old 06-07-14, 02:42 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read your other response, and yes we don't agree sometimes. But that is OK. Its the beauty of the your opinion and mine.

A Mazda 3 is not on the option table. I only want a Toyota. I want a highway car with very good MPG that will take me from A to B. I test drove the car and I absolutely love the interior, not sure why.

I understand that the chassis and engine are carry overs but that is OK and it is tried and true I guess. The new CTV might make me worry.
I don't have a problem with drum rears either.

So, the best deal I have gotten is $530 over invoice , what are your thoughts on this?

Last thing, I have to choose the model I want and I must decide whether (moon roof, alloy wheels, fog lamps, and leather wrapped wheel) is worth $1200.
why even start a thread when you just want a toyota?

i would buy the best car. that means test drive everything, research everything, and find the best deal.

and then choose. corolla is a strong contender, but who knows if you like other cars better?

Last edited by hlee12; 06-07-14 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-07-14, 03:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I had the CT. The Corolla is not quieter especially below 25 mph where you can drive on EV mode. Don't make this a large factor or you will be disappointed switching to the Corolla.
Well, to my ears the Corolla is quieter for the 2014 year. I never liked the noise from the road in the CT. Funny enough, I just looked at the website for Lexus and the wind drag number .29 in the CT while Toyota claims from 3rd party mags that the Corolla is .28. Go figure I guess?

We just did a second drive today, and I think we are going to pull the trigger.
Old 06-08-14, 08:16 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pman6
Is it common lately to get 30% discount on a camry? That's a huge discount.

Where's my 30% lexus discount...
Honda incentives are actually higher than Toyota's. Nice try though

http://www.truecar.com/static/refere...ives-Ratio.pdf

Originally Posted by hlee12
why even start a thread when you just want a toyota?

i would buy the best car. that means test drive everything, research everything, and find the best deal.

and then choose. corolla is a strong contender, but who knows if you like other cars better?
Why even post? If they want a Toyota and the title says "thoughts on a new 14 Corolla", that should be a good hint they might be leaning toward one.

Old 06-08-14, 06:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Honda incentives are actually higher than Toyota's.
Honda seems to be finally coming into the real world. For decades their dealerships didn't need incentives to sell cars. They sold on their own merit, demand constantly exceeded supply, and potential customers were sometimes treated indifferently. Although, IMO, Honda/Acura is still the industry standard for how well a car is assembled at the factory (at one time Lexus also shared that distinction with them), in most other areas, the competition, has caught up and/or even exceeded them. Hyundai/Kia, in particular, offer more features and a longer warranty for (generally) less money.....although their prices have risen noticeably in the last few years.
Old 06-08-14, 07:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Honda seems to be finally coming into the real world. For decades their dealerships didn't need incentives to sell cars. They sold on their own merit, demand constantly exceeded supply, and potential customers were sometimes treated indifferently. Although, IMO, Honda/Acura is still the industry standard for how well a car is assembled at the factory (at one time Lexus also shared that distinction with them), in most other areas, the competition, has caught up and/or even exceeded them. Hyundai/Kia, in particular, offer more features and a longer warranty for (generally) less money.....although their prices have risen noticeably in the last few years.
When acura/Honda builds something remotely close to the LS or LFA let me know

Old 06-09-14, 05:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Honda incentives are actually higher than Toyota's. Nice try though

http://www.truecar.com/static/refere...ives-Ratio.pdf
thanks for the find... i am glad thats out of the way now... Toyota/Lexus have lowest incentives on the market.... 6.3% of average transaction, vs 7.8% at Honda and 10.2% of Ford.
Old 06-09-14, 06:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

When acura/Honda builds something remotely close to the LS or LFA let me know

Agreed that Honda has never had an LS-equvialent. Up to now, they have felt one wasn't needed. Infiniti tried to compete with the LS with the Q45, and look what happened....Honda doesn't want to make that same error. As far as the LFA goes, the NSX was a great predecessor, but, agreed, Honda doesn't have anything in the LFA's league right now. That, though, is not where Honda is choosing to put its money right now. In fact, other than in superb quality-control and weird-looking designs, it's hard, right now, to tell just where Honda is actually sinking its cash.
Old 06-09-14, 03:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

So, we pulled the trigger today.

We bought a brown sugar metallic with ivory interior.

Package include as standard equipment:

Summer cloth and a second set of all season floor mats
Heated seats
6.1 display audio with Bluetooth streaming
Back up camera
Steering wheel controls
Folding rear seats
Heated mirrors

Upgrade package includes:
Alloy wheels
Moon roof
Leather wrapped wheel
Fog lamps

I went through a buyers agency.

$400 over invoice.
Dealer then applied a $500 discount on top of the $1200 diacount as I had dealer points for all the service I have done at this dealer for the last 5 years.

So, total discount was $1700, that would make it $100 under invoice. Who knows if the dealer made any money.
Old 06-09-14, 03:40 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well done!

Slap on some 19" Vossen and post pics!
Old 06-09-14, 03:50 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Who knows if the dealer made any money.
Congrats on the new car, but trust me, they made money. It's well documented that "invoice" isn't what the dealers are actually paying for vehicles.

But it's true that margins on new vehicle sales are not the main profit source for dealers. All that service you did at the dealer is their main source of income.
Old 06-09-14, 03:59 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I wonder if dealers get any sort of cut of the interest, loan fees, etc from Toyota Finance(or whatever their finance arm is called).

Congrats on the car. I must be living under a rock, I didn't know heated cloth seats were a thing now. I guess living in the southwest I don't really think about it.
Old 06-09-14, 04:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Congrats on the new carrust me, they made money. It's well documented that "invoice" isn't what the dealers are actually paying for vehicles.

But it's true that margins on new vehicle sales are not the main profit source for dealers. All that service you did at the dealer is their main source of income.
LOL. I know. I don't mind giving the dealer money so they can make a profit, what I don't like is them telling me that the best you can get is $350 off of MSRP. This happened at three dealers with one of them stating MSRP plus a green tire warranty fee.

Going through the buyer agency was hassle free, the price of $400 over invocie, no issues, no haggling , no offers of adding on things. Then It took us 90 minutes of driving different models and colors, deposit , certified cheque coming when the car is ready.
I highly reccomend going through an agency.
Old 06-09-14, 04:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

So, we pulled the trigger today.

We bought a brown sugar metallic with ivory interior.

Package include as standard equipment:

Summer cloth and a second set of all season floor mats
Heated seats
6.1 display audio with Bluetooth streaming
Back up camera
Steering wheel controls
Folding rear seats
Heated mirrors

Upgrade package includes:
Alloy wheels
Moon roof
Leather wrapped wheel
Fog lamps
Congratulations. new engines these days don't need as extensive a break-in as in the past. But it's still a good idea, for the first several hundred miles, to take it easy on the engine, don't go over 4000 RPM, don't floor the gas pedal, and don't use the brakes full-force except in an emergency to avoid an accident.

I strongly recommend this to take out any surface scratches, stains, and marks in the paint...it will keep it like new.

$400 over invoice.
Dealer then applied a $500 discount on top of the $1200 diacount as I had dealer points for all the service I have done at this dealer for the last 5 years.

So, total discount was $1700, that would make it $100 under invoice. Who knows if the dealer made any money.
IMO, you have exactly the right attitude. Far too many people, after a new-car sale, drive themselves nuts worrying about if they got taken, if others paid less, what bargains they missed, etc..... The best and simplest thing is to simply make the best deal you reasonably can, make sure they apply any available rebates, and then just go home, forget about it, and enjoy your new car.

One thing important, though, if you haven't done it yet at the dealership. Many states, by law, give you an automatic 30 days insurance coverage on your present policy for a new car. But, legally, within those 30 days, you have to notify your own insurance company or agent (some like GEICO, operate 24/7 around the clock) and give them the VIN and other data they will need on your new car, and tell them to drop the old one if you traded it in or don't own it anymore. Then, after they update the changes, they will send you a revised bill.

And if you didn't have collision coverage on your old car, you will probably need it on your new one simply because of its vastly increased value.
Old 06-10-14, 09:33 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the pleasure of renting a '14 Corolla and I absolutely loved it! I would definitely recommend it for anyone who needs a compact car that's very fuel efficient!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a new 14 Corolla