Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thoughts on a new 14 Corolla

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-14, 02:10 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Btw just rode by a toyota dealer.....corollas for 14888 (usd)
Old 06-06-14, 02:13 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The new CTV might make me worry.
Toyota's CVT may be "new" to the US, but is actually nothing new and has been in various Toyotas in Japan and Europe since 2000 and has provent to be one of the most reliable CVTs on the market.
Old 06-06-14, 02:27 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

In Consumer Reports Road Test, the new Corolla is a solid mid-pack finisher and competitive with most of the models listed.

Highs are Ride, fuel economy, interior space, large trunk, secure emergency handling and value.

Lows are lackluster handling, inconsistent interior quality and too easy to turn DRL's off.
Old 06-06-14, 02:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I dont think you can wrong with the new Corolla. Its the best selling car in ALL of automotive history for a reason.
Old 06-06-14, 03:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Here's an excerpt from it:

"Starting a sentence with “My old Toyota . . . ” used to have cachet, earned as it was by how often the next words were “ . . . has 300,000 miles on it.” This Corolla, though, lacks the sturdy feel of the cars that built the company’s reputation. It doesn’t feel like an old Toyota; it just feels old. Bumps and hard corners betray its flimsy structure. The doors have a hollow slam. With little of the sculpting that provides the support to keep passengers in place, its spacious rear seat tied for last in our comfort ratings. And there’s a gauziness to the major controls, reinforcing the impression that the car lacks a certain hardiness.

In addition to feeling old and flimsy, the Corolla feels tired, a reliable backmarker in performance testing.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...old-kia-page-2

Also, how can something that's only marginal be considered good, especially for a new generation? It's one step above poor.
yet, plenty of other mags commented completely different about the same Corolla - and you can check it out yourself to see if it is old and tired and flimsy feeling.

As to marginal - it is not fail... fail is fail, marginal is marginal... Jetta is also marginal and yet I dont think C&D called it flimsy.

Oh wait:

. It has a feeling of solidity and an imperturbable ride that the others can’t match.
There you go... you have flimsy and you have solidity, and yet both get same crash test scores.
Old 06-06-14, 03:58 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I think it's a good purchase. Not my taste, but it should be a reliable transportation appliance. I saw one at 7/11 yesterday that was in a dark/deep green color. I thought that looked pretty nice. Still one of those cars that you could take the name off and replace it with CAR.
Old 06-06-14, 04:21 PM
balMaster
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Car & Driver is hardly the magazine that I should at for a Corolla.

All I want is A to B transportation with great reliability. I wouldn't be driving the Corolla fast at all.

The whole goal is to save money on gas, insurance, and car payments
Just curious. What did you not like about CT? To me, CT would do well on all of the above. Maybe except the car payments.
Old 06-06-14, 06:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by balMaster
Just curious. What did you not like about CT? To me, CT would do well on all of the above. Maybe except the car payments.
A number of things. It didn't feel like a luxury car, more like a premium vehicle. Noiser in road than I expected, higher premium for insurance, and I just did not warm up to the design inside.
Old 06-06-14, 06:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by balMaster
A number of things. It didn't feel like a luxury car, more like a premium vehicle. Noiser on road than I expected, higher premium for insurance, and I just did not warm up to the design inside.
Old 06-06-14, 07:22 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
yep, I was going to recommend a camry as well --- leftover 2014 or 14.5 (as they are advertising locally)
My god cars are cheap in the US...

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You usually don't think much of my auto-reviews, but, since you specifically asked for opinions, I'll give you mine...both good and bad.

It's a nice well-rounded compact with a good reputation, although in some ways I liked the old version better. It had some wood-tone trim options inside....something I don't see on the new one. The new one has a dash that is more consistant with other new Toyotas. It shows a slight thinning/lightening of sheet metal and interior materials over the old version, but not as starkly or dramatic as that of its big brother Avalon.

It is likely to maintain its long-standing better-than-average reliability record and good resale value. I'm not impressed with the standard/option lists on the new one, though. The old one had a smooth/quiet but clearly antiquated 4-speed automatic. The new one STILL has the 4-speed auto on the base version, and CVTs on the upmarket ones......I would have preferred a conventional 6-speed automatic standard across the board, in all versions. I also think the paint-color choice (by specific model) is ridiculous...white/silver/gray/black on the base model, four other colors on some other versions, and it's difficult to escape an all-black interior on most versions...though some offer a better choice. I like the 15" wheels and fairly tall 65-series tires on the base model, though....they won't give you sports-car handling, but should offer a smooth ride by today's compact-sedan standards (which is important if you are going to be doing a lot of cruising).
How could they have possibly cheapened the interior compared to the last one? I really like the new Corolla, the interior is leaps and bounds better than the '09, as is the exterior. Loaded up in S trim, it's a very nice car for the money.
Old 06-06-14, 07:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns

How could they have possibly cheapened the interior compared to the last one? I really like the new Corolla, the interior is leaps and bounds better than the '09, as is the exterior. Loaded up in S trim, it's a very nice car for the money.
You just partially-answered your own question. A redesigned car can have an interior with better-LOOKING materials and fit/finish (at least on the surface) but, in fact, are thinner and somewhat flimsy underneath. When I first saw the new Toyota Avalon in pictures without sitting in it, I thought (like you did with the new Corolla) the the new interior, visually, was leaps and bounds over the old one. That is, until I actually got in, sat, down, and felt a number of interior parts so thin and loose that they seemed like they would come off in my hand. Toyota, unfortunately, has done that with several of its newer vehicles....fortunately, not all of them.
Old 06-07-14, 12:34 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Is it common lately to get 30% discount on a camry? That's a huge discount.

Where's my 30% lexus discount...
Old 06-07-14, 01:37 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/...ct-cars/?all=1

Mega comparison of all the usual suspects in the compact car segment. Corolla came in second to the new Mazda 3.
Old 06-07-14, 06:00 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
Is it common lately to get 30% discount on a camry? That's a huge discount.

Where's my 30% lexus discount...
That 30% discount is probably just the 1st-year's depreciation -- drive it off the lot and you have lost that much in depreciation.

Originally Posted by natnut
http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/...ct-cars/?all=1

Mega comparison of all the usual suspects in the compact car segment. Corolla came in second to the new Mazda 3.
Thanks for posting. I have been following the 2014 Corolla reviews on Autos.ca and I have to say that they are generally impressed by it, even beating the Civic.
Old 06-07-14, 11:11 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
That 30% discount is probably just the 1st-year's depreciation -- drive it off the lot and you have lost that much in depreciation.
Dealers don't mark down current MY cars 30% just because it's late in the MY.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a new 14 Corolla