Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote!
84.31%
I don't know, but its time for a new name.
15.69%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-16, 08:26 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
Remember that back in the day, the MKIV Supra Turbo was competing with cars such as the Corvette ZR1 and the Porsche 911.

If the MKV Supra is to maintain that same performance threshold (Recent reports show Toyota testing the performance metrics of the Porsche 911 GT3), I'd expect the top trim model to be priced similarly to a C7 Corvette Z06 ($80k-$90k).

A mid-tier model might be priced around the same as a base C7 Corvette and if there is a four-cylinder version, it might be priced in the $30k-$40k range (depending on how exotic some of the materials used in the chassis are).
What would be awesome is Corvette level performance at $40k price tag. A big reason why Mustangs sell so well and how the previous GTRs were made legendary. Also why the GT86 twins failed, Mustang price with lower performance.
Old 09-08-16, 09:20 AM
movin_up
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gymratter
I have always wonder why didn't Toyota just reskin the 86, and give it a nice interior, and slap on a Lexus badge to complete with the Z4, SLK, TT and ect. Maybe it has to do with quality? I see from FR-S owner there is mix reviews on the reliability of the FRS/BRZ.
I don't think Toyota has been totally happy with the results of that collaboration. It achieved the driving characteristics that they were going for, but that's about it. If they go their own way or as rumors suggest collaborate with the Miata they may have a platform they're more comfortable sharing with Lexus. They've hinted that that was their intention from the beginning, but clearly they're not going to do that if they don't feel like the overall package could hurt the Lexus name.
Old 09-08-16, 09:54 AM
movin_up
Driver

Originally Posted by situman
Love how Toyota is always late to the game. The sports car and overall sedan market is in decline, not to mention overall industry sales of vehicles will not match last years and they are bringing a high price sports car. It wont sell in any quantity, deemed a failure, gets cancelled within 5 years. It is about 5 to 7 years too late.
It's been a long time coming, but I wouldn't necessarily say they're late to the game. The muscle car HP wars are going strong, the GTR has managed to justify a ~50% price increase, and sports cars always bring people to the showrooms. Now we have Toyota stepping up to the plate with Mazda possibly following to reignite the 90's competition and then Nissan also hinting at turning the Z into something worth buying again. It's been a dead market for a long time, but I don't think that's because no one wants one.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Way late in the game. Toyota has ruined their sports car heritage with their obsession of the F cars which are a bit of a fail and the fact that Scion had totally flopped.
Scion and "sports car heritage" do not belong in the same sentence. That brand was destined to fail from the beginning and never was a "sports car" brand, just a young people brand which the FRS happened to fit into. As far as the F cars, no one is knocking BMW off the top of the hill any time soon, but I think they make a good statement for Lexus and people like them in the real world.

Originally Posted by plex
Word is that's the FT86 replacement not the Supra but who knows what's what these days.
That interior is made up of BMW components. Very unlikely that it's an 86.

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I totally agree with you there.

This leak looks too much like an ft-86 than the upcoming supra (if it's heavy camouflaged then it's doing a good job
I would be super disappointed if it looks like the ft-86 (again, hopefully a camo) and not anything like the concept.

That interior is a total let down if it's the new "supra".
There's enough camo that we're not getting the full picture, I'm sure. I've seen Toyota's design direction on other upcoming models and it is a very good sign for the Supra.

Originally Posted by Stroock639
why would you want that? it should be at least $90,000. although i don't know what affordable means to you.
Why would you want it to be $90,000???
Old 09-08-16, 10:11 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

To the 1st gen yes, but I think the 430 turned into a slightly different animal. I see the LC taking on the S-Class coupe and that rumored 8 series. But Lexus could still use something to complete with the AMG GT, SL, 911, and rumored next 6 series which is said to lose 6lbs and be more sporty.
Yes first gen. You're right the 430 was more a boulevard cruiser. The LC takes on the likes of the 911 and GranTurismo.
Old 09-08-16, 10:17 AM
Hoovey689

I'd wager the next Supra will be more expensive than a Corvette but less than a GT-R
Old 09-08-16, 11:42 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Yes first gen. You're right the 430 was more a boulevard cruiser. The LC takes on the likes of the 911 and GranTurismo.
Actually I believe the chief engineer said the branch mark for the LC was the 6-series.

Idk about that, the two maybe cross shop by some, but the LC is bigger and heavier than the 911. I still think a reskin Supra for Lexus the brand could happen. It was hinted on one of the interviews where the Lexus official said something along these lines (its not currently on the drawing board, but Lexus has access to whatever is Toyota).
Old 09-08-16, 11:51 AM
Hoovey689

Actually I believe the chief engineer said the branch mark for the LC was the 6-series.

Idk about that, the two maybe cross shop by some, but the LC is bigger and heavier than the 911. I still think a reskin Supra for Lexus the brand could happen. It was hinted on one of the interviews where the Lexus official said something along these lines (its not currently on the drawing board, but Lexus has access to whatever is Toyota).
The LC team looked at many cars during development. The 6-Series because it is the volume leader. The 911 because it is the quintessential drivers car in the league. The GranTurismo because it evokes emotion.

Speculation of course, but I doubt BMW would have agreed to the joint Z5/Supra venture with Toyota, if rival Lexus was going to get another coupe from their labor.

Benchmarking

Last edited by Hoovey689; 09-08-16 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-08-16, 12:22 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

The LC team looked at many cars during development. The 6-Series because it is the volume leader. The 911 because it is the quintessential drivers car in the league. The GranTurismo because it evokes emotion.

Speculation of course, but I doubt BMW would have agreed to the joint Z5/Supra venture with Toyota, if rival Lexus was going to get another coupe from their labor.
The GranTurismo and 6 series yes, but I don't recall the 911.

I believe officials from both companies have stated in the past that the new co develop platform could be used for future Toyota and BMW sports cars. That platform is scalable.
Old 09-08-16, 12:23 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Z5 vs Supra

Old 09-08-16, 12:23 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by movin_up
It's been a long time coming, but I wouldn't necessarily say they're late to the game. The muscle car HP wars are going strong, the GTR has managed to justify a ~50% price increase, and sports cars always bring people to the showrooms. Now we have Toyota stepping up to the plate with Mazda possibly following to reignite the 90's competition and then Nissan also hinting at turning the Z into something worth buying again. It's been a dead market for a long time, but I don't think that's because no one wants one.
HP wars are different from sales wars. The last time all 3 Japanese manufacturers had sports cars, the market collapsed. Now all 3 will have sports cars again, and the car market is collapsing. Wouldnt be surprised if a recession hits by the time these come out. Such bad luck or perhaps poor timing.
Old 09-08-16, 01:27 PM
JessePS

Originally Posted by situman
HP wars are different from sales wars. The last time all 3 Japanese manufacturers had sports cars, the market collapsed. Now all 3 will have sports cars again, and the car market is collapsing. Wouldnt be surprised if a recession hits by the time these come out. Such bad luck or perhaps poor timing.
Most likely poor timing. Toyota is a little too conservative, when it comes to anything sporty.

If the Supra sells at $90k, it better have insane specs. Maybe they could go the Corvette route, have different specs.
Old 09-08-16, 01:32 PM
Hoovey689

The GranTurismo and 6 series yes, but I don't recall the 911.

I believe officials from both companies have stated in the past that the new co develop platform could be used for future Toyota and BMW sports cars. That platform is scalable.
From an interview with Koji Sato, he points out the LC benchmarks the best aspects of the competition to roll it into one. Combine that with Lexus's attention to detail and stellar reliability and the LC will be a force to be reckoned with

TG: Is that to try and compete on a level field with your German rivals?

KS: “I think that not one particular company is our competitor. As you know well, the luxury coupe segment is very large with a wide variation. Sometimes it’s a Porsche 911 or a Maserati GT or the Mercedes SL. But I think in the middle of the segment is the BMW 6 Series, it’s very dominant. So the main competitor is a BMW 6 Series I think. On the other hand I love to hear the engine sound of the Maserati GT, it’s lovely. All the luxury coupes have their own character, so we don’t want to follow anyone in particular, we want to create Lexus’ own taste and identity.”
http://www.topgear.com/car-news/supe...us-lc500-cards

---

We're getting a bit off topic though. Nice to see the Z(5) continue to be a roadster and the Supra a coupe

Last edited by Hoovey689; 09-08-16 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-08-16, 01:50 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

From an interview with Koji Sato, he points out the LC benchmarks the best aspects of the competition to roll it into one. Combine that with Lexus's attention to detail and stellar reliability and the LC will be a force to be reckoned with

We're getting a bit off topic though. Nice to see the Z(5) continue to be a roadster and the Supra a coupe
Agreed, I just think a new lighter weight SC would be nice. What does the LC come in at? 4,500 or something like that.
Old 09-08-16, 02:04 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

at $40k i am all in.
Old 09-08-16, 02:35 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JessePS
Most likely poor timing. Toyota is a little too conservative, when it comes to anything sporty.

If the Supra sells at $90k, it better have insane specs. Maybe they could go the Corvette route, have different specs.
If someone have $90k to spend, why wouldnt anyone in their right minds just get a LC500? Probably not as hardcore a sports car, but still... That $90k pricing makes absolutely no sense. If the GTR didnt sell at $90k, neither will the Supra. It'll probably top out at like $50k for the TT version.

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra / FT-1