Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote!
84.31%
I don't know, but its time for a new name.
15.69%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-14, 06:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
In the Automotive News article that spwolf linked to, they also thinly allude to the LF-LC being priced around $150,000. Interesting.
We've heard $125,000-150K. Regardless the LF-LC will be a 6 digit vehicle
Old 01-13-14, 06:58 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^If that is the case, I hope Lexus will bring back the SC then, and introduce LC as a new model. Something like:

RC: ~$45-60k
SC: ~$70 - 85k
LC: ~$130 - $150k

Excluding F models
Old 01-13-14, 07:26 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Wow - Truly beautiful car.

Forget the RC-F lol.........I want this Supra!!!!!!!!!

Great vid from MotorTrend.
Old 01-13-14, 07:31 PM
madfast
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i immediately thought of this

and more recently this

i guess that's the new face of toyota...
Old 01-13-14, 07:37 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
In the Automotive News article that spwolf linked to, they also thinly allude to the LF-LC being priced around $150,000. Interesting.
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
We've heard $125,000-150K. Regardless the LF-LC will be a 6 digit vehicle
Not what I've been hearing from Lexus corporate!

(P.S. How on earth did I miss the FT-1 reveal until now... that thing is awesome!)
Old 01-13-14, 07:55 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Toyota. PLEASE release it as close as possible to this. Don't eff it up like the FR-S/GT86, which while a very very good car, it wasn't even close to being as sexy as the concept.

Lexus was smart to show the (gorgeous) RC-F last week. It still would've been swept aside by the media in front of this FT-1.
Old 01-13-14, 07:56 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Someone just pointed this out too me. The clay model below is probably more closer to what the production model will look like.

Old 01-13-14, 08:13 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
Someone just pointed this out too me. The clay model below is probably more closer to what the production model will look like.

That's fine with me too. Bravo Toyota!
Old 01-13-14, 08:21 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Much better looking imo. That Celica above was the first thing that popped in my head when I saw the front.
Old 01-13-14, 08:39 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

I wonder why Toyota did not release height, weight, length, and wheelbase.
Old 01-13-14, 08:52 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Car was made 10% larger as a concept than they want it to really be, so that it will show better and have more stage presence.
Old 01-14-14, 12:43 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by gengar
Not what I've been hearing from Lexus corporate!

(P.S. How on earth did I miss the FT-1 reveal until now... that thing is awesome!)
I heard 80k…..

They did an AMAZING job with a surprise reveal. I think it caught the world by surprise…..:thumb up: and in a GREAT WAY since it looks AMAZING….

Old 01-14-14, 03:23 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Motortrend's interview also has the $60k price range.

Akio's Assault Vehicle: Futuristic Sports Car Melds F1 Influences With Supra Styling

Click here to view 120 High Resolution Photos

A pencil tip moves across a sheet of paper, leaving a thin graphite line. Perhaps a millimeter across, it could be swiftly erased. Or it could become the spark for the greatest performance cars that have ever existed: perhaps Marcello Gandini's 1966 Lamborghini Miura. Or Jean Bugatti's 1937 Type 57 SC Atlantic Coupe. Very different designs, but both born of a mere line arcing across paper.

For Alex Shen, studio chief designer at Toyota's Calty Design Research in Newport Beach, California, the words describing the sports car's styling concept came first -- words like "sexy," "honest," "organic," "kick-***." Followed by proportions -- front/mid-engine, rear drive, just the right scale. And a wild guess at price -- maybe $60,000? "It's a Toyota," says Shen. "It ought to be affordable." Only then did lines start to appear.

But when they did, it was an avalanche. Virtually every designer in the 65-person studio submitted sketches, hundreds of them, many drawn at night, some sketched on lunchtime napkins, altogether exploding the number of lines Calty's president, Kevin Hunter, and Shen's team slowly culled for the very best ideas. At least the hurricane of lines that would become their sports car was now just a flurry.

Let me back up here. Usually, when people draw cars, they're actually creating an outline, which in drawing parlance is a contour line -- delineating the "contour" between the positive space (the car) and the negative space (the emptiness around it). In the realm of car designers, the language differs; for them, the line's a "silhouette." A contour is applied across a surface to understand its shape. For Shen, though, it would be a challenge for his silhouette not to recall that of the Mark

The canted roofline creates visual stress without unbalancing the overall shape.

4 Toyota Supra. It's iconic: a long, melted nose, abrupt windshield rise, tight roof peak, and lengthy plunge to a mini ducktail flip. And it was a line Shen and his colleagues simultaneously embraced and struggled to resist. Their task was to create a Toyota sports car for the future, a point emphasized by its eventual name, "FT-1" -- for Future Toyota-One -- which recalls their stillborn 2007 FT-HS project and parallels Lexus' "LF" (Lexus Future) naming scheme. The FT-1, set to debut at the North America International Auto Show, is not a "real car," but a "concept car" -- a three-dimensional frenzy of winks and side glances, sucking scoops, and brutal downforce-generators, all peeking at us from behind a curtain where the future is being created. It's the essence of a potent potential new sports car that's for now an instant of bodywork turbulence, shock-frozen in fiberglass.

When Calty pitched its plan to Toyota's Nagoya headquarters, its timing couldn't have been better. At the 2011 Tokyo auto show, Akio Toyoda had insisted, "Now we have a new slogan, 'Fun To Drive Again.'" And he'd made no secret of wanting a Supra-like car restored to the lineup. Calty was wise to the pitfalls, too, having been down this particular road five years earlier with its hybrid-drive, Supra-esque FT-HS, a car stillborn during the freefall of the great recession. But with the world economy healing and Toyota's helm in the hands of a guy who'd donned a helmet to drive in the Nürburgring 24-hour race, the starter button was firmly pushed. With Akio's blessing, Calty's in-house Supra-esque sports car got the green light to become a concept car to be judged by the world. A timeline was plotted, milestones marked. The team set to work.

Unlike the Supra, the FT-1 has racing fingerprints all over it. The wind is shat- tered by a prow dominated by a Formula 1-inspired beak. Consequently, the radia- tor's air is divided between twin shark-like mouths, each stuffed with electric fans sitting atop angled splitters whose shape is repeated higher up via streaking light signatures that fishhook around intense, triple-LED headlights.

Moving aft, its flanks are deeply slashed by even more air intakes that are themselves subsequently engulfed by rising rocker panels that suddenly erupt into muscular rear wheel arches. The roof is a sort of double-bubble, and the frenzy stays nonstop all the way to a tail that reminds you of a prototype sports racing car's, complete with Venturi tunnel openings, a dense array of 35 tiny LED foglights, extendable wing, and twin storm- drain exhausts. None of this is by accident. During the FT-1's gestation, Calty (involved in shaping Toyota's Camry NASCAR racer) frequently consulted nearby Toyota Racing Development to ensure its shape was consistent with a sports car's engineering demands. The result is called "functional sculpting."

Red, which emphasizes highlights, was the only color ever considered.

Classic "silhouette cars" -- ones you'd be inclined to draw in outline -- are typically relaxed, simple fuselage forms that tran- quilly speak to you through their broad pools of subtly reflected light. Think of the soft, slightly balloon-ish shapes from the '50s and '60s -- a particularly good example for me being the Lancia Aurelia B20.On the other hand, "gesture" in drawing puts an emphasis on the action and vitality. A good (or bad) example of gesture is the 1984 Ferrari Testarossa, a very, very busy design. Draw it, and your pencil becomes animated trying to capture the long strakes across its mammoth side-radiator gills. Recently, this sort of hyperactive, big-sculpture automotive design seems to be reemerging: the new Corvette, anyone? The FT-1's extreme gesture mixes positive and negative space even more turbulently; somehow, it's both windswept and forward-leaning.
http://www.motortrend.com/future/con...pt_first_look/
Old 01-14-14, 11:19 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

The numbers are in from GT6. And compared to the Leus RC

Toyota FT-1 Concept
Length- 4,675 mm (184.05 in)
Width- 1,970 mm (77.55 in)
Height: 1,225 mm 48.22 in)
Wheelbase: 2,740 mm (107.87 in)

Lexus RC350
Length: 4,693 mm (185 in)
Width: 1,838 mm (72 in)
Height: 1,394 mm (55 in)
Wheelbase: 2,730 mm (107 in)

Live Photos from AutoBlog

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 09-25-16 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-14-14, 12:22 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra / FT-1