Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Genesis Sedan Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-14, 09:05 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also believe that Hyundai offers a guaranteed trade-in value, which would help keep the value up.
Old 06-30-14, 09:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

But what is that trade in value?

Its like one of those real estate things "If we can't sell your house, we'll buy it!" yeah...for 50% of the market value.

Its like their warranty. "America's best warranty"....yeah but its not transferrable to the next owner like every other carmaker's warranty...and its a powertrain warranty...a fact they don't bring much attention to.

These things just add to the perception that the value isn't there..."guaranteed resale values" means the free market won't uphold their value. A non-transferable warranty means they aren't as reliable as one would be led to believe.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-30-14 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-30-14, 09:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Love the usual posts of Hyundais are worth 50c after 2 years. We all know Toyota/Lexus/Honda/Acura has the best resale but really it's only a few percent better than anything else and Hyundai may be a few points lower as oldcajun's post points out. We can all find individual data points to make whatever pro con case we want but that's a waste of time.

I personally never understood being concerned much about resale when buying a new car... Either you want it or you don't. Resale is years down the road and anything can happen - you might get rich and it's irrelevant
Resale does factor in when leasing though and most luxury cars are leased...
Old 06-30-14, 10:56 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ and that you also pay much lesser to begin with.
Old 06-30-14, 11:12 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Love the usual posts of Hyundais are worth 50c after 2 years. We all know Toyota/Lexus/Honda/Acura has the best resale but really it's only a few percent better than anything else and Hyundai may be a few points lower as oldcajun's post points out. We can all find individual data points to make whatever pro con case we want but that's a waste of time.

I personally never understood being concerned much about resale when buying a new car... Either you want it or you don't. Resale is years down the road and anything can happen - you might get rich and it's irrelevant
Resale does factor in when leasing though and most luxury cars are leased...
like I have said before, Hyundai haters will be removing their feet from their mouths in the future. These guys are on a roll. Very few companies have gained market share as fast coming from the rep they had . Im impressed with their cars as well as the stuff coming from KIA as well. I still believe I would be more likely to purchase a Korean car than a GM in the future ( although we all now Im a little in love with Lexus )
Old 06-30-14, 11:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

FWIW, I am hardly a Hyundai hater. In fact I have been overall VERY complimentary towards Hyundai and what they have done in a short time. Its just that I recognize that there are still some areas where they need to do better if they really want to achieve what they seem to want to achieve.

1. Resale value is quite poor. This will improve with time and reputation. But, the fact remains, that the differences in resale value, at least right now, take back a lot of the savings from the original purchase over something like a Toyota....

2. They continue to make some poor choices, such as not allowing their warranty to be transferred to the second owner. This would help with resale value, and "guaranteeing resale value" just acknowledges you know its a problem.

3. Quality, while MUCH MUCH improved still lacks that little additional level of polish.

4. I think if they want to be serious about Luxury, they need a Luxury division.

But, with that said, I would absolutely buy a Hyundai...
Old 06-30-14, 12:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
like I have said before, Hyundai haters will be removing their feet from their mouths in the future. These guys are on a roll. Very few companies have gained market share as fast coming from the rep they had . Im impressed with their cars as well as the stuff coming from KIA as well. I still believe I would be more likely to purchase a Korean car than a GM in the future ( although we all now Im a little in love with Lexus )
when is this future... their market share is down in the USA for the 3rd year running, they peaked in 2011.

Hyundai is not upcoming manufacturer anymore, they are same as everyone else and they have to fight for every 0.01% market share increase, just like everyone else.

When it comes to market in US, impressive market share rises dont come from Hyundai anymore...

Old 06-30-14, 03:44 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
FWIW, I am hardly a Hyundai hater. In fact I have been overall VERY complimentary towards Hyundai and what they have done in a short time. Its just that I recognize that there are still some areas where they need to do better if they really want to achieve what they seem to want to achieve.

1. Resale value is quite poor. This will improve with time and reputation. But, the fact remains, that the differences in resale value, at least right now, take back a lot of the savings from the original purchase over something like a Toyota....

2. They continue to make some poor choices, such as not allowing their warranty to be transferred to the second owner. This would help with resale value, and "guaranteeing resale value" just acknowledges you know its a problem.

3. Quality, while MUCH MUCH improved still lacks that little additional level of polish.

4. I think if they want to be serious about Luxury, they need a Luxury division.

But, with that said, I would absolutely buy a Hyundai...
So would I as long as it's an Elantra L model on fire sale for $11,995 inc. freight and delivery.
Old 06-30-14, 04:50 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Hyundai PR personnel have been out on full force lately..

Last edited by yowps3; 06-30-14 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-30-14, 05:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You know what I think is very telling? Of all the Hyundai "fans" on CL lately...I don't think I have seen one person who actually has a Genesis or Equus, or who has come here saying "I had an LS, and now I have an Equus" or "I was looking at the ES and chose the Genesis". I think that speaks volumes. We have that with BMW, MB, Audi, etc...but where are the Equus and Genesis owners on CL?

Myself included. I've posted a lot of very positive things...but when it comes time to put my money where my mouth is I can't do it. Everybody says "I would buy one, Lexus better look out" but then they don't buy one.
Old 06-30-14, 05:43 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

It takes a special person to forgo the prestige/styling and purchase a luxury car on more rational merits. It's why I own a Jaguar instead of a Corvette.
Old 06-30-14, 05:51 PM
eoph
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's kinda how I feel......because I don't own a Hyundai, but a Lexus, that I should feel ashamed, I must be shallow, and a hater
Old 06-30-14, 05:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Hence the issue...it's a luxury car...and an integral part of buying any luxury item is the style, image and panache of that item. Hence why Hyundai should have come out with a luxury marque.
Old 06-30-14, 06:39 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know what I think is very telling? Of all the Hyundai "fans" on CL lately...I don't think I have seen one person who actually has a Genesis or Equus, or who has come here saying "I had an LS, and now I have an Equus" or "I was looking at the ES and chose the Genesis". I think that speaks volumes. We have that with BMW, MB, Audi, etc...but where are the Equus and Genesis owners on CL?
You make a really, really good point. We have a diverse group here, from LFAs to '90s econoboxes. Why aren't any of you Hyundai lovers actually purchasing their products?

Old 06-30-14, 06:55 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Myself included. I've posted a lot of very positive things...but when it comes time to put my money where my mouth is I can't do it. Everybody says "I would buy one, Lexus better look out" but then they don't buy one.
Lexus is a prime target for Hyundai and their legions of internet PR people, much in the same way Mercedes and Cadillac were back in 1989, only there was no useful internet back then.

The goal of those here is to keep Hyundai among the topics and discussion of Lexus buyers/fans.

Quick Reply: 2015 Genesis Sedan Thread