Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Genesis Sedan Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-14, 02:54 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

It's like I do like it but I don't
Old 05-12-14, 03:10 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

You stole my thought! I like it. I priced on out online (need AWD around here). Would I pay $45-$50k for one? Probably not. Not at this time at least. Am I a snob? Maybe I guess.
Old 05-12-14, 04:31 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

You look at that front end, and say the ES and GS have "cliche" chrome front ends?

i think he is saying spindle grill is cool, but rest is cliche. i've heard that before when GS first came out. i frankly love it that way. if lexus tried too much on side and rear, then we would've had something that resembles from 2030 sci fi movie.
Old 05-12-14, 04:34 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

anyway, i think both GS and Genesis look good in various angles. i'm not a GS fan, but i'm a big IS fan. i just think the overall design flows better with IS. that's just me.

and most people around me either loves new Lexus or hates it. I'm sure Lexus knew this. they created a controversy and that's not a bad thing. this bold new direction is exactly what lexus needed because we beat them up for being vanilla for past couple of generation of lexus.

both GS and Genesis IMO are strong contenders in their playing field. i think genesis will compete against alot of cars and it will include GS to some extent. but obviously many people won't look past the Hyundai badge.
Old 05-12-14, 04:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee12
both GS and Genesis IMO are strong contenders in their playing field. i think genesis will compete against alot of cars and it will include GS to some extent. but obviously many people won't look past the Hyundai badge.
i dont agree at all... one is the best drivers car in the class and other one is the cheapest car in the class.

There is nothing great about Genesis except for the price...

I am not hating on the car, it is just the way it is...

I also wonder whats going on with the reviews... we still dont have anything official? Maybe it is because of the performance? Apparently new Genesis is quite heavy so V6 will do 0-60 in mid to high 6's.
Old 05-12-14, 06:18 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
i dont agree at all... one is the best drivers car in the class and other one is the cheapest car in the class.

There is nothing great about Genesis except for the price...

I am not hating on the car, it is just the way it is...

I also wonder whats going on with the reviews... we still dont have anything official? Maybe it is because of the performance? Apparently new Genesis is quite heavy so V6 will do 0-60 in mid to high 6's.
pricing has nothing to do with a product being competitive or not. obviously GS competes with luxury cars. Genesis' playing field starts with 300, avalon, ES and all the way up to GS and E class. it doesn't even have a natural competitor. It's an E segment car with a hyundai badge.

obviously you and I haven't driven this thing. but everyone who did(credible car folks) thinks it's a strong product. I read all the publications on genesis so far, and all of them agrees Genesis is a strong competitor to germans and GS. not my words, theirs. most points out it's much better than the last gen. i have no reason not to believe what they've written.

but we all know what they are missing - brand prestige. and that's just too bad.

it will be also slower and thirstier. it's bigger and heavier. i doubt hyundai tried to make this a sports sedan. it isn't. but it's bigger car too.

Size comparison Genesis / GS

Wheelbase: 118.5 in / 112.2
Total length: 196.5 in / 190.7
Total width: 74.4 in / 72.4
Total height: 58.3 in / 57.9

pricing comparison

anyway MT had 5.2 sec for v8. but it was heavy as hell at 4588+ lb. last gen rspec did 4.8 but it was much lighter

Last edited by hlee12; 05-12-14 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-12-14, 06:52 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

I examined the car closely at the NY Auto Show and I was NOT impressed by the interior, even the top of the line V8 version..........The quality, materials, and finishes are not on the same level as the 5 Series and GS. There is a reason the Genesis is so much cheaper.

Exterior looks OK and def could pass for a luxury car.
I think the car will sell very well due to the AWD availability with the V6.
Old 05-12-14, 07:09 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I examined the car closely at the NY Auto Show and I was NOT impressed by the interior, even the top of the line V8 version..........The quality, materials, and finishes are not on the same level as the 5 Series and GS. There is a reason the Genesis is so much cheaper.

Exterior looks OK and def could pass for a luxury car.
I think the car will sell very well due to the AWD availability with the V6.

hm. i find 5 series fit / finish / material to be so-so. that's one of the reason i'm not down with current 5 series. actutally since e39, i've been down on 5 series. i can see GS being clearly better than genesis. me love me some GS interior.

i think genesis probably is on par with acura/infiniti/caddy in terms of fit/finish/material. maybe tad less? from the picture, material looked good, but design bothered me. i've only seen the exterior and wasn't able to have a sit time yet. i'm a dash stroker, so interior is very important to me.
Old 05-12-14, 08:11 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

5.2 0-60mph seconds is really lethargic for a V8 with 420hp

My IS350 does 0-100kmh in 5 seconds all the time. And that is 100kmh not 60mph
Old 05-12-14, 08:24 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
5.2 0-60mph seconds is really lethargic for a V8 with 420hp

My IS350 does 0-100kmh in 5 seconds all the time. And that is 100kmh not 60mph
They're saving the non-lethargic 0-60 times for the 2015 Genesis R-Spec?
Old 05-12-14, 08:43 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee12
hm. i find 5 series fit / finish / material to be so-so. that's one of the reason i'm not down with current 5 series. actutally since e39, i've been down on 5 series. i can see GS being clearly better than genesis. me love me some GS interior.

i think genesis probably is on par with acura/infiniti/caddy in terms of fit/finish/material. maybe tad less? from the picture, material looked good, but design bothered me. i've only seen the exterior and wasn't able to have a sit time yet. i'm a dash stroker, so interior is very important to me.
Not Caddy and Infiniti, barely Acura. From my experience at Vancouver autoshow. Only good thing about the interior is the wood, but all the materials are pretty low grade. Decent for the price, but not par with the segment it wants to compete in.

Biggest shocker was the Equus, that interior is miles below any other fullsize sedan. I expected much better and my expectations were not high.
Old 05-12-14, 11:47 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Not Caddy and Infiniti, barely Acura. From my experience at Vancouver autoshow. Only good thing about the interior is the wood, but all the materials are pretty low grade. Decent for the price, but not par with the segment it wants to compete in.

Biggest shocker was the Equus, that interior is miles below any other fullsize sedan. I expected much better and my expectations were not high.
Looking at some high-res photos of the interior of the new Genesis I do agree with your overall statement.

The only aspect of the interior I truly like are the seats. Everything else is not quite up to par. Which isn't good if Hyundai wants to pull off an LS400
Old 05-20-14, 07:25 PM
mike171333
Rookie

Default 2015 Genesis

Anyone driven a 2015 Genesis?? Curious as to ride quality and NVH VS LS460??

MIKE
Old 05-21-14, 06:20 AM
philj
Driver

i drove a 14 as a rental. The steering was loose in my opinion
Old 05-21-14, 06:32 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I drove one, As always they look great. When you dig down deep and REALLY look at the details.....that;s where you come to the understanding WHY its so much cheaper than the comparables. Cheap materials, cheap switchgear, etc. Just nowhere near the quality and finish to others. They're getting closer though.

Quick Reply: 2015 Genesis Sedan Thread