Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2014 Mazda3

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-13, 01:33 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default First Drive: 2014 Mazda3

2014 Mazda3

"The Cure For The Common Corolla"

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-...photo-6025805/

I hate the Toyota Corolla. I'm not talking about the new 2014 model; I can't yet judge a car I haven't driven. I'm referring to the current, old-as-dirt sedan. As an appliance, I get why people buy it, but it represents everything that I, as a car enthusiast, dislike. I don't like looking at it, I don't like sitting in it, and I really don't like driving it. There is absolutely no amount of emotion dialed into any part of the Corolla experience and every other vehicle in the segment is a far better choice. But still, somehow, Toyota sells 'em like hotcakes.

Thankfully, there are a lot of people who agree with me. And for folks like us, companies like Mazda exist. This small Japanese automaker places emotion and driver involvement as its top priorities when creating new products, and mostly – especially in recent years – the end results have been great. The new CX-5 crossover is a doll, to say nothing of the rakish and lovely new Mazda6 that launched earlier this year. And let's not forget the Miata...

It's a shame, then, that Mazda's sales numbers have never correlated with how we enthusiasts feel about the products, though a lot of that simply has to do with the company's weaker advertising efforts, not to mention a less robust dealer network. Mazda continues to build cars that are great to drive above all, and the automaker is slowly but surely getting its refinement issues and infotainment technologies in order. This new 2014 Mazda3 aims to offer the best of the brand's new Skyactiv powertrain DNA, housed in a package with features and technologies that stand up to every other car in the highly competitive C segment.

It is everything the Corolla is not. And it's fantastic.

Because the 2014 Mazda3 shares many of its Skyactiv bits with the CX-5 and Mazda6, the new compact feels, as well as looks, decidedly familiar. That's not a bad thing. Mazda's Kodo design language has once again resulted in a fantastic shape here, and all of the specific styling elements have made for a seriously attractive body. A lot of design comparisons to the Mazda6 are fair, especially when you see the Mazda3 sedan, but subtle tweaks for the more compact form are easily noticeable and appreciated.

For starters, the front fascia uses a larger, more vertical grille that adds a bit more assertiveness to an otherwise aggressive styling approach. Kodo-standard elements like a strong character line that outlines the lower grille and works up into the slim headlamps are present on the Mazda3, combined with LED daytime running lamp accents on uplevel models. At the sides, there are pronounced wheel arches with heavily sculpted lines that flow into the center of the car's profile, intersecting just aft of the vehicle's mid-point and then tapering off.

Oddly, despite my tendency to normally prefer the styling of a hatchback to a sedan, there are a few elements of the new 3 that are weird here on the five-door. For starters, because the Kodo language dictates this sort of cab-rearward design, most of the vehicle's visual weight is put over the rear wheels. That's fine, and gives the car a sort of shooting brake look, but it really highlights the large front overhang. Furthermore, while things look a-okay on the 18-inch alloy wheels fitted to the Mazda3 s Grand Touring test car pictured here, that rump looks bulgy on cars fitted with the smaller 16-inch wheels. I have this same problem with the CX-5 and its 17/19-inch wheel split, and in the case of the 3, there's no mid-grade 17-inch wheel option available.

The new hatchback is nearly two inches shorter in overall length versus the 2013 model, though the wheelbase has been stretched by 2.4 inches. Vehicle width has increased by 1.6 inches, and just over half an inch has been shaved off the hatch's height. All in, the new dimensions and upgraded styling are big wins here. I never fully warmed up to the goofy-smily looks of the prior Mazda3, but this new package is taut, athletic and really pretty.

Mazda will offer the 3 as both a four-door sedan and five-door hatchback, both of which can be had with 2.0-liter and 2.5-liter inline four-cylinder engines. There's a base level i-SV trim for the sedan only (the value model, really) but the other trims can be had in either four- or five-door configurations. Pricing hasn't been announced just yet, but Mazda says it will start at less than $17,000.

Yes, a diesel engine is being considered (the Mazda3 will be available with the 2.2-liter Skyactiv-D engine in other markets), but the company is closely watching the acceptance of the diesel Mazda6 here in the US before it makes a decision about bringing an oil-burning 3 Stateside. There's never been a better time to put up or shut up, message-board-shouting diesel-lovers. Mazda also hasn't officially confirmed the existence of a next-generation Mazdaspeed3, but we have no doubt that one is in the works. It'd be a hot little number, after all.

For now, the US market will have to make due with the two Skyactiv-G gasoline engines. The base engine, available on all "i" trim levels, is the 2.0-liter naturally aspirated inline four-cylinder that first launched in the 2012 Mazda3 and later arrived in the CX-5 crossover. This engine is good for 155 horsepower and 150 pound-feet of torque – a gain of two pound-feet versus the outgoing model – and can be had with either a six-speed automatic or manual transmission. Fuel economy is the big story here, as the EPA recently confirmed that the 2.0-liter hatchback will achieve 30 miles per gallon in the city and 40 mpg highway (models with the six-speed manual transmission will see that city number reduced to 29).

I briefly drove an i-GT model with the 2.0-liter engine and it was exactly what you'd expect. The gutless attributes of the 2.0 have carried over to the new Mazda3 as there isn't a whole lot going on in the low end of the rev range, but otherwise, the car is perfectly nice to steer. You get some handling tradeoffs with the 16-inch wheels, as the 3 feels softer in corners and is more prone to understeer with this setup, but it's still a more enjoyable car to drive than any of its classmates.

The bulk of my time with the new Mazda3 was spent with a fully loaded s-GT model, complete with the Skyactiv-G 2.5-liter inline four-cylinder engine that all "s" trims will get. Despite having the same displacement, this new engine is a huge improvement over the outgoing MZR 2.5. Horsepower is up from 167 to 184, torque is up from 168 to 185, and with the six-speed automatic transmission, fuel economy is up from 22/29 mpg city/highway to a Mazda-estimated 28/37 mpg. That's all thanks to the more efficient engine construction of the new 2.5 Skyactiv and its 13.0:1 compression ratio. The fact that the new hatch is some 100 pounds lighter helps a bit, too.

Mazda will optionally offer its i-Eloop regenerative braking system on models equipped with the 2.5-liter engine. It's a seamless technology that you can't feel from behind the wheel, and there are incremental fuel economy gains to be had with this tech. The 28/37 mpg numbers of the 2.5 6AT car should improve to 29/39 mpg with i-Eloop, according to Mazda's estimates.

While the smaller 2.0-liter four-cylinder will no doubt be the volume engine, folks who buy the 2.5 are in for a real treat. You have to get it above 2,500 rpm to really feel the power, but when you're on, it's on. What's more, the Mazda will happily rev all day long in the 4,000 to 6,000 rpm range, and while there isn't a whole lot of sound coming from the tailpipes, there's audible engine noise in the cabin that's a bit more robust than many of the other wheezy four-cylinders in the segment.

Mazda will eventually offer a six-speed manual transmission with the 2.5, and if it's anything like the row-your-own units mated to this engine in the CX-5 and Mazda6, it'll be sweet. I tried the manual transmission with the 2.0-liter car, and it's slick to shift. You really have to give credit where credit's due: Mazda knows how to make a killer manual transmission.

But the automatic is in no way a Debbie Downer. It uses a traditional torque converter to get things moving at crawl speeds, but beyond that, the action is far closer to a dual-clutch than a conventional slushbox. The Skyactiv-Drive six-speed automatic comes with steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters, and this is one case where I highly encourage use of them during spirited driving. That whole line about being dual-clutch-quick is the honest truth, and the action is really enjoyable. But I also found a lot to like about the automatic's Sport mode, which is programmed to prevent shifts in either direction. On one long stretch of twists during my drive, the Mazda willingly held onto third gear, even in many instances where I fully expected it to upshift. And it'll hold a gear all the way to the 6,500-rpm redline if that's what the driver demands. The Sport mode of the transmission doesn't feel as engaging on less-involving sets of switchbacks – you're better off just using the paddles here – but really, this automatic transmission is well-tuned for folks who give a flip about driving.

No one will confuse the steering for anything than an electronically assisted rack, but again, Mazda knows what it's doing here. Every compliment we've ever given to the Mazda6 or CX-5 about its fantastic helm can be carried over here, with a rack that weights up nicely as you carry more speed and turn the wheels harder to the left or right, while still feeling effortless and light during slow-speed maneuvering.

There's a great amount of feedback through the suspension, but it's not jarring over broken pavement, even with the upgraded 18-inch wheels wrapped in 215/45-series Dunlop SP Sport 5000 tires. In fact, I actually found the 16-inch alloy setup to be more unpleasant overall, though a proper test over the cracked roads of Detroit is in order before officially praising the 18-inch package as wholly fantastic.

The big takeaway here is just how confident the Mazda3 feels when you're driving for pleasure. A lot of the cars in this segment give you that hilarious drive-the-doors-off sensation when you're caning them, but it doesn't mean they're good. The Mazda, however, is good for plenty of smiles from behind the wheel, simply because of how willing it is to be driven hard. The 3 is, without question, the best-driving car in the segment.

Complaints? There's a good deal of wind noise in the cabin, despite the hatchback's slick 0.275 drag coefficient. That number gets even smoother for the sedan, which boasts a 0.255 cd. It's fair to point out that the cars Mazda provided were early pre-production units, so not every detail was up to production spec. That wind noise issue might be worked out before the car actually goes on sale. Even so, if the company's other products are an indication, this thing won't exactly be Cruze-quiet.

Unfortunately, that whole pre-production thing carried over into a couple aspects of the Mazda3's interior during this test. There's a new infotainment system housed in the seven-inch screen you see on the dash, but it wasn't functioning in this prototype. And there's also that class-exclusive Active Driving Display heads-up unit that's projected onto a small, clear plastic panel between the steering wheel and the windshield, but because I couldn't access the adjustment function in the infotainment screen, I couldn't see the digital readout without slouching down into an absolutely uncomfortable position. From what I can tell, it all looks like it works just fine, but you'll have to wait a few more months before we can pass judgment on the whole system.

To that end, I won't fault the Mazda3 for a couple of fit-and-finish issues found in this test car, namely some awkward panel gaps. But on the whole, the new interior is a solid improvement over the outgoing car. The clean, stylish dash that's free of buttons and clutter is appreciated, and the free-floating-look of the touchscreen display is pretty slick. That said, Mazda is still using smudge-friendly piano black plastic on a lot of surfaces, though this specific test car was fitted with a cool carbon-look trim that actually feels premium. The other materials are better, including the leather found on the supportive, nicely bolstered seats of this Grand Touring tester, and the two-tone leather approach is nice, too.

However, that sleek exterior doesn't really make for a totally spacious cabin, and cargo capacity suffers. With only a maximum of 47.1 cubic feet of cargo space on offer, the 2014 Mazda3's hauling abilities are worse than the outgoing model, not to mention several of its C-segment rivals (and a few B-segment cars, too). It is, however, better than the dismal 44.8 cubic feet found in a five-door Focus.

In typical Mazda fashion, a whole bunch of features will be packed into the 3, but it's nothing you can't find elsewhere in the compact class. Things like navigation, Bluetooth, xenon headlamps, heated leather seats, and a full suite of infotainment functionality will all be available, in addition to upscale safety features like forward collision warning, lane-keep assist, blind spot monitoring and even Mazda's new Smart City Brake system. It'll be interesting to see how pricy the 3 gets with every option boxed ticked.

But that won't necessarily be the problem with convincing new buyers to step into a Mazda3. The whole of this segment is full of seriously good cars these days, and so many of them reward you with better comfort, a quieter ride and more functionality – things that so many shoppers in this class really want. That's why people buy the Corolla, after all (along with a robust reputation for reliability). And it's what makes vehicles like the Honda Civic, Ford Focus and Chevy Cruze so successful.

It's a downright shame that so many people shopping in this segment go into the new car buying experience and cut off any sort of emotional tie. The 2014 Mazda3 is a real winner, especially so for enthusiasts. I hope more people take notice.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/12/2...w-first-drive/
Old 07-13-13, 09:07 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I stopped reading after the first paragraph. This writer is just a biased troll at best. I just bought myself a Mazda 3 about three weeks ago, and I can say from my hands on experience that it is nothing but your average example of inexpensive automotive misery designed to get you from point A to point B. Its not any better than a Corolla or any other offering in its class. Granted, its better than the god awful miserable VW jetta that I rented for a few weeks after Sandy flooded NYC, but other than that its a boring cheap car that produces zero excitement. Its engine is anemic, its throttle by wire response is dog slow, its steering feels good but its artificial because there is no feedback. It's an ok budget car, I was looking for a cheap daily beater and Mazda gave me the best deal, if Toyota gave me better deal on a Corolla, I'd take that.
Old 07-13-13, 10:00 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm anxious to see the new 3 in person and definitely will test drive one.
Old 07-13-13, 10:26 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Och
I stopped reading after the first paragraph. This writer is just a biased troll at best. I just bought myself a Mazda 3 about three weeks ago, and I can say from my hands on experience that it is nothing but your average example of inexpensive automotive misery designed to get you from point A to point B. Its not any better than a Corolla or any other offering in its class. Granted, its better than the god awful miserable VW jetta that I rented for a few weeks after Sandy flooded NYC, but other than that its a boring cheap car that produces zero excitement. Its engine is anemic, its throttle by wire response is dog slow, its steering feels good but its artificial because there is no feedback. It's an ok budget car, I was looking for a cheap daily beater and Mazda gave me the best deal, if Toyota gave me better deal on a Corolla, I'd take that.
Is yours an i or s? 2.0 or 2.5?

Mazda is like the BMW of the mainstream Japanese makes like Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Subaru.

I'm very excited to check out this 2014 in both 2.5L guise and 2.2L diesel if it become available
Old 07-13-13, 11:23 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Is yours an i or s? 2.0 or 2.5?

Mazda is like the BMW of the mainstream Japanese makes like Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Subaru.

I'm very excited to check out this 2014 in both 2.5L guise and 2.2L diesel if it become available
Its a 2.0 touring model, and trust me, its no BMW.
Old 07-13-13, 01:10 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I agree with your assessment. I rented one a couple years ago.

Maybe they've changed the 2014. We'll see, though like you, I have my doubts after driving the 2014 mazda 6
Old 07-13-13, 01:36 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Och
not saying it was. Just more BMW's are known for their better handling (until recently) over say MBZ, Audi, Lexus, Jag. Same applies to Mazda which tend to handle better than an equivelant Sentra, Corolla, Civic and Impreza (of course each have their own strong suit over the other in other categories - except maybe the Sentra, I don't know of anything it does well or has ever won a comparison shootout ). But yes the lower models are more lackluster. I wonder if the 2.5's have any improvments like stiffer springs or sways than the 2.0's.
Old 07-14-13, 12:07 AM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh look, another automotive journalist snob with his superiority complex. Stopped reading after that idiotic first paragraph.
Old 07-14-13, 12:24 AM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
THANK YOU! I've driven several rental Mazda 3s and I was not impressed. They certainly didn't feel like the sports car Car and Driver and this Autoblog loser make them out to be. They're also a pain in the *** to clean and don't seem to hold up well past 20,000 miles in my experience. I've never been impressed by the third tier brands like Mazda, Subaru, Suzuki, Mitsubishi, etc. With rare exceptions, none of what they sell does anything for me and it's not hard to see for me why they don't resonate with a lot of buyers.

The Corolla has its faults, but these snobs saying everyone that has one is not an enthusiast and is dumb or "duped" can pound sand. I'd take any Corolla over a Mazda, and most of the world agrees.
Old 07-14-13, 02:30 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
THANK YOU! I've driven several rental Mazda 3s and I was not impressed. They certainly didn't feel like the sports car Car and Driver and this Autoblog loser make them out to be. They're also a pain in the *** to clean and don't seem to hold up well past 20,000 miles in my experience. I've never been impressed by the third tier brands like Mazda, Subaru, Suzuki, Mitsubishi, etc. With rare exceptions, none of what they sell does anything for me and it's not hard to see for me why they don't resonate with a lot of buyers.

The Corolla has its faults, but these snobs saying everyone that has one is not an enthusiast and is dumb or "duped" can pound sand. I'd take any Corolla over a Mazda, and most of the world agrees.
What models did you drive? i, s, 2.0, 2.5?

Mazda's that aren't a MX-5 or RX-8 aren't sports cars. Simply cars with more sporty intentions than their competiton. Point in case, a Mazda3 is not as dowdy as say a Sentra or Corolla when it comes to handling like the S touring/grand touring 2.5 models. 2.0 are more simple A to B vehicles.
Old 07-14-13, 02:35 PM
Hoovey689

Default Motortrend First Drive: 2014 Mazda3

Motortrend First Drive: 2014 Mazda3

"Lone Zoomer: If you Liked the '3 Shared with Ford and Volvo, You'll Love the All-Mazda One"

You know the old adage: If you want something done right, do it yourself. Sure, where small automakers like Mazda are concerned, that idea flies in the face of all that economies-of-scale biz-school blather, but if the way this new Mazda3 drives is any indication, the little-Hiroshima-company-that-could may be making it work. Here's its argument against conventional wisdom:

By starting the design of this third-generation 3 on a completely clean sheet, with no "economies of scale" parts-bin pieces to work around, every inch of the car could be tailored to suit the task at hand and fit Mazda's zoomy personality. This approach means there are no recessive "Volvo For Life" or "One Ford" genes that could express themselves in awkward ways or force uncomfortable compromises. Note that the same clean sheet was also used to design the basic architecture of the 3, 6, and CX-5 (and a forthcoming CX-9 replacement), but those are siblings, not cousins from different continents.

The suspension is a perfect example of the benefits of such a holistic engineering approach. The team set a goal of delivering the steering feel of a light rear-drive car with manual steering, where effort continually builds with increasing cornering force. To do this, the front strut geometry has 6 degrees of caster -- same as on a Miata or RX-8, and way more than you'll find on anyone else's front-driver. This provides a strong self-centering effect at speed and causes effort to continuously rise with steering input, which the column-mounted electric assist motor simply dials back to a comfortable level. To back that steering feel up with eager turn-in, the Control Blade rear suspension's bushings and geometry are designed to encourage a healthy dose of toe-in under cornering. (Oh, and let the record show that Mazda introduced the Control Blade idea on its fourth-gen Cosmo, contributing it to the original Focus/S40/3.)

Designing the whole car around Mazda's full suite of Skyactiv technologies compounds the efficiency of each. The 2.0-liter engine is a great example. When wedged into the existing engine compartment of the old '3 in 2012, the engine made do with a compact four-into-one exhaust header. At some speeds this allowed the sonic wave created when one exhaust valve opened to reflect up the runner of another cylinder just as its valve was ready to close, jamming some hot gas back into the cylinder and compromising the next combustion cycle. Working with the clean sheet, engineers made room for an elaborate basket-o-snakes 4-2-1 manifold that prevents this from happening. The result: The torque curve is fattened by a healthy 14 lb-ft at 3000 rpm, peak torque jumps 2 lb-ft, and EPA city/hwy fuel economy improves from 28/39 mpg to 29/40 mpg with the manual and 30/40 mpg with the automatic.

Maybe the best Skyactiv story is that of the clean-sheet manual transmission -- Mazda's first since the 1980s. Reducing internal friction makes it 1 percent more efficient, but that wasn't the point. The object of the redesign was to make it feel sublime in the hand, because now that automatics get better fuel economy than manuals, most folks who opt for a stick do so because they prefer shifting for themselves -- not to save money or fuel. Ya just gotta love the sentiment behind this (perhaps ill-advised) new transmission investment.

So how does this perennial compact-class favorite work on the road? About as good as it looks. The steering feel is simply the best I've sampled in a front-drive car (having not yet tried VW's newest Golf or the Focus ST, about which many also rave). In the Angeles Forest above L.A., the top-performing 2.5-liter s GT variant wearing meaty 215/45R18 summer Dunlops turns in crisply and corners hard, and its steering effort builds nicely all the way up, giving some subtle tugs and jiggles as the road surface changes. You take the good with the bad -- there's modest kickback on bumps when the lateral gs are up -- but the trade-off is well worth it. The electric-assist motor can't be heard or felt except when spinning the wheel for a parking maneuver. Oh, and 185 lb-ft produce no trace of torque steer. (Still, we fervently hope the CX-5's AWD system will be fitted to the way more torquey Mazdaspeed3 variant.)

Swapping into a 2.0-liter manual on the base 205/60R-16 Yokohama Avids dials back the peak cornering loads and introduces a bit more tire squeal, but the damping and roll control are still admirable, and there's no head toss. Bumps and imperfections were absorbed with refreshing suppleness in all variants sampled, but then these are the very roads the car's ride and handling were developed on. A definitive ride assessment will have to wait until we can get cars on some meaner streets.

The Skyactiv-Drive automatic transmission claims to match the efficiency of a dual-clutch, and it certainly feels as smooth. Shift paddles on the 2.5 bring instant response, but the shift scheduling in Sport mode seldom caused me to touch the paddles during canyon running. The cable-actuated shifter in the 2.0-liter car has a light and mechanically precise feel, though I missed my intended gate a few times.

Mazda's bias toward engaging dynamics means that some sound deadening may have been sacrificed on the altar of low mass, so road and wind noise trail the class leaders a bit, but we wouldn't have it any other way. And this bit of extra noise doesn't detract from the upscale mood of the new interior, which gets a soft-touch dash, USB audio input, and keyless push-button entry and starting on even the lowest base trim level. Mazda3s have always delivered class-above optional content, and that tradition continues, with blind-spot monitoring and cross-traffic alert standard on the high-volume i Touring variant, while top 2.5-liter models get a head-up display, rain-sensing wipers, and bi-xenon adaptive headlights. To secure absolute C-segment bragging rights, order the Tech Package, which brings a full laser/radar/camera sensor array with adaptive cruise control, lane-departure warning, Smart City Brake Support (to prevent or lessen low-speed impacts), automatic high-beams, and i-ELOOP.

That's a loopy name for a smart-charging system on steroids. A variable-voltage alternator freewheels while cruising or accelerating, and when you lift or brake, it generates way more charging energy than the battery could accept. A 25-kJ capacitor absorbs the rest and then apportions it to the battery in doses it can accept. Mazda says it might boost real-world fuel economy by around 5 percent when you're running a lot of electrical loads.

Intellectually, we realize that Mazda's long-term viability probably hinges on finding a new Ford-like partner or strengthening existing joint-venture ties with Toyota, Nissan, or Fiat. But emotionally, this new 3 is so good we're kind of rooting for the scrappy, independent, genetically pure Japanese little zoomer to keep going it alone.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...3_first_drive/
Old 07-14-13, 02:39 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
What models did you drive? i, s, 2.0, 2.5?

Mazda's that aren't a MX-5 or RX-8 aren't sports cars. Simply cars with more sporty intentions than their competiton. Point in case, a Mazda3 is not as dowdy as say a Sentra or Corolla when it comes to handling like the S touring/grand touring 2.5 models. 2.0 are more simple A to B vehicles.
There have been a flurry of CX-5 and Mazda 6 comparos recently, since both are relatively new. Of the ones I've seen, I think each model won vs. their competitive set. Granted most of them have been in enthusiast mags but a good sign that Mazda is putting out competitive vehicles.

They won't sell in Toyota, Honda, Hyundai etc. numbers but are a great alternative for buyers.
Old 07-14-13, 02:44 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexBob2
There have been a flurry of CX-5 and Mazda 6 comparos recently, since both are relatively new. Of the ones I've seen, I think each model won vs. their competitive set. Granted most of them have been in enthusiast mags but a good sign that Mazda is putting out competitive vehicles.

They won't sell in Toyota, Honda, Hyundai etc. numbers but are a great alternative for buyers.
Correct, they have been (at least the CX-5 I know of) finishing first or high up on the comparison poll.

With the new tech and lighter weight, Mazda's really are an excellent alternative to those bigger companies you mentioned - even more so now then the past. A clean design language that won't be mistaken for anthing else on the road, as well as strong numbers on paper (hopefully that will make it to the real world) should help sales. Mazda's biggest problem though has always been their marketing, but even that I believe has been improving as of late. Either way I don't expect them to explode onto the scene. But they do deserve recognition because they are very compelling
Old 07-14-13, 06:01 PM
lowincash
Driver School Candidate

Let's hope the new mazda are reliable, I've always liked their cars but never owned one. Couple years back, I had a mazda 3 rental for about a month while my car was getting repaired, it was a fun little car. It was the base 2.0 and was very weak, I got scared for a moment while getting onto the freeway. However, after I got passed that, I had a lot of fun driving that car and did miss it. Interior was pretty bleh but I did like the chime when you turn on or off the car...very cool Thank you mazda for giving people a choice to have some fun getting from point A to B in this highly competitive compact segment!
Old 07-14-13, 07:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I stopped reading after the first paragraph. This writer is just a biased troll at best. I just bought myself a Mazda 3 about three weeks ago, and I can say from my hands on experience that it is nothing but your average example of inexpensive automotive misery designed to get you from point A to point B. Its not any better than a Corolla or any other offering in its class.
Lol. It's no luxury car but 'not any better than a Corolla' is subjective. Many consider mazdas more fun to own and drive than other economy cars. Oh and the '14 reviewed here is completely different to the (nice IMO) '13 you have.

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
Oh look, another automotive journalist snob with his superiority complex. Stopped reading after that idiotic first paragraph.
Lol. I LOVED that first paragraph. So much for subjective comments especially the first sentence.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-14-13 at 07:40 PM.

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2014 Mazda3