Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 BMW 7-Series (G11) thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-13, 09:29 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts
Default 2016 BMW 7-Series (G11) thread

The next generation 7-Series has finally been caught testing. Been waiting a longtime for this, considering that was it designed by the Fall of 2011 and BMW usually have them out running afterward within 7-12 months. Read more below from G Motors UK:
BMW has started testing the next-generation 7 Series (G11) and here we have the very first spy photos.

The prototype is heavily disguised, with temporary lights. The front door looks very short, while the rear door seems longer compared to the current model.

The facelift of the 7 Series was just revealed last year and as the development is in very early stages the new 7 Series is not expected to hit the market before 2015.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 02-28-13 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-28-13, 10:22 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

That rear door looks huge but the car still looks athletic. BMW is said to be using some cool compounds to make up the chassis which will only lead to great weight savings. This is my favorite class of cards, can't wait to see what BMW brings in light of MB leaning heavily to the luxurious "experience" side of things.
Old 02-28-13, 11:11 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The proto looks like have the same shape of the current gen. Can't wait to see some more detailed pictures, this is very likely to me my next car.
Old 02-28-13, 11:36 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Already looks a bit sleeker. Wonder if they'll up the luxury now that we've seen the new S-Class interior. Lexus really dropped the ball, the next LS better be a smash and technological marvel because the Germans are cranking out new gens like crazy
Old 02-28-13, 11:52 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by blacksc400
The proto looks like have the same shape of the current gen. Can't wait to see some more detailed pictures, this is very likely to me my next car.
I really hope this is out late next year at least, so it doesn't feel outdated aleady like the new W222. That one looks the same as it did 4 years ago, before being road tested.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Already looks a bit sleeker. Wonder if they'll up the luxury now that we've seen the new S-Class interior. Lexus really dropped the ball, the next LS better be a smash and technological marvel because the Germans are cranking out new gens like crazy
BMW likely will, as some inside info has been given out already. Actually, someone described it back in mid-late June and saw it around June 11-15, 2012. The funny thing is that the 5LS(really a facelift) is what really brought me to ClubLexus, as I don't even personally own one. I can't wait for the 5LS, LC, and 4LX. Anyways, here's quotes and more pics I forgot to post:

June 20, 2012
Last week I was invited to review the new prototype 7 series amongst some other vehicles that are still in development and I must say BMW is going to make the new generation 7 a beauty! Unfortunately they did not let us take in any electronic devices I can tell you is the interior is better than any previous generation 7, much classier, sitting in the rear passenger seat makes you want to hire a chauffeur to drive you around. As far as the exterior goes the rear has gone in a different direction, the rear diffuser and bumper were very nice no exposed exhaust tips, as far as the front end they had gone in the direction of making the headlights similar to the new 3-series.
In response to speculation about it being the F01/F02 facelift instead.
Yes that is correct, the next generation 7 series to replace the F01/F02, the headlights were actually quite nice, much larger in comparison to the 3 series, it was tweaked just a bit.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 02-28-13 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-28-13, 12:20 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really wish they will make dual sunroofs this time.
Old 02-28-13, 04:44 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Take the F10, scale it up 5~10%, make the rear doors 2 inches longer.

There you go, done.

I would love to be a MB/BMW/Audi designer, all they do is design one look, and scale up and down for the other models. SUV? Just make the same thing taller.
Old 02-28-13, 04:55 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by BNR34
I would love to be a MB/BMW/Audi designer, all they do is design one look, and scale up and down for the other models. SUV? Just make the same thing taller.
BMW and Audi forsure. MBZ and Lexus are getting there too. Especially with the E and GS both losing quad headlights. Just wait till the GS receives a full spindle
Old 02-28-13, 10:25 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll say what everyone else is thinking:

That car looks LOOOOOOOOOOOONG. With the way things are going, it'll be about 10 years until we have full size luxo flagships that are as long as the Lincoln Town Car limousines. Lol.

Interestingly enough, the disguised version looks smaller than the white F01 7 in that particular pic. May be just the angle,
Old 03-01-13, 01:51 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will BMW finally decide to make a 'REAL' M7? (and none of this fake Alpina crap)
Old 03-26-13, 02:42 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Since one has yet to hear about any info on the next LS, I will focus more on this thread. Here are more photos of the G11 7-Series.

From autoevolution:

The technology BMW developed for the i3 and i8 models ail benefit one particular future car, the next generation 7 Series full-size luxury sedan.

Before we look into the future for an in-depth analysis of the 7, let's turn our attention to November 2008, when the 5th generation F01/F02 went on sale. Here was a car that spelled the end for the ugly Bangle era design and made this car an executive once again. Aluminum block diesels and twin-turbo V8 made this the choice for people who wanted more driving thrills than the rival Mercedes S-Class could offer.

Even though a facelift for the 7 Series was introduced last year, Mercedes will step up its game, launching the new S-Class in Stuttgart shortly, and judging from the interior and exterior photos we have at our disposal, BMW is in for a fight.

Their new flagship sedan is scheduled to arrive in 2015, but the German automaker is already hard at work developing all the new technologies that will eventually trickle down to other Bimmers. The 6th generation 7 Series is being developed under the internal code-name G11 and is still in the early prototype phases.

Some of the body panels on this prototype, which was spotted testing on a frozen lake in Scandinavia, actually belong to the current 7 Series. But the car will be much different under the skin.

Lightness Is the 7 Series' Middle Name

Coincidentally, 2015 is also the year when European emissions watch dogs force the new EU6 standards. But the G11 7 Series should have no problem meeting them. BMW is a pioneer in using plastics for body panels, but the next luxury saloon will also have carbon fiber and lots of aluminum, used throughout the chassis. Judging from the way they've used it so far, carbon fiber will most likely be used for the roof and hood. Weight savings could be as high as 200 kg (440 lbs), though most will offer a little bit less than that.

BMW has had varying success with its ActiveHybrid models, but they will likely take things a step further than that, launching plug-in hybrid versions that can run around town on electricity alone. The success of the Tesla Model S shows rich clients are no longer put off by electric cars and enjoy the silence the afford.

A flagship of Modern Technology

Any German flagship model usually debuts blows anything that came before it right out of the water. The 6th generation 7 Series will be no exception, offering all the latest safety systems and more. Just like the next-gen X5, it will have active braking and a pedestrian airbag under the bonnet.

The instrument cluster will be fully digital, and most likely fully customizable as well. The 7 Series will also offer upgraded navigation, internet connectivity and will likely have live traffic updates to challenge the S-Class' TomTom-based systems.

Old 03-26-13, 02:47 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Default Next-gen BMW 7-Series grabbed on camera for second time

Out in 2015 or 2016

The next generation of the BMW 7-Series has returned for a second round of spy shots.

If it won't be out towards the end of 2015, it means the Bavarian company will launch it in early 2016. BMW's flagship model is reportedly known as the G11 and will probably feature an evolutionary design. Don't judge the car's looks by these spy photos as some of the body panels are taken from the current 7-Series, including the rear bumper.

The front of the car shows a slightly lower hood and grille, while the trunk lid appears to be different as well. It is believed the next-gen 7-Series will benefit from a lightweight architecture encompassing carbon fiber and aluminum which could result in a loss of 204 kg (450 lbs). Aside from the weight drop, engines will be more fuel efficient while the array of Efficient Dynamics technologies will be expanded.

In terms of engine lineup, the 2015/2016 BMW 7-Series is rumored to come with a 4-cylinder engine producing 260 bhp (194 kW), a 6-cylinder mill with 340 bhp (254 kW) and a V8 generating 460 bhp (343 kW) - all turbocharged and with direct injection. Various reports are indicating an M770i xDrive variant will have a twin-turbo V8 4.0-liter churning around 475 bhp (354 kW) and 650 Nm (480 lb-ft) of torque. A plug-in hybrid variant is also in the pipeline, while the future of a V12-powered version is uncertain.

Some type of autonomous technology will be available for the next 7-Series since BMW teamed up with Continental for developing this type of tech. They are also collaborating with Harman for boosting in-car connectivity which means the new model will probably offer 3D maps with real-time traffic and weather updates, along with downloadable applications, Wi-Fi capabilities and better voice activation features.

Old 03-26-13, 03:25 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lexus LS debuts in 2007, gets MCE for 2013, next gen prototypes nowhere to be found. BMW 7 series debuts in 2009, gets MCE for 2012, next gen prototypes spotted. WTH is Lexus doing these days I wonder because they're really slow.
Old 03-26-13, 04:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Lexus LS debuts in 2007, gets MCE for 2013, next gen prototypes nowhere to be found. BMW 7 series debuts in 2009, gets MCE for 2012, next gen prototypes spotted. WTH is Lexus doing these days I wonder because they're really slow.
well since you didnt see any prototypes, maybe Lexus ceased development on all future models :-)
Old 03-26-13, 04:16 PM
Hoovey689

Judging from the way they've used it so far, carbon fiber will most likely be used for the roof and hood. Weight savings could be as high as 200 kg (440 lbs), though most will offer a little bit less than that.
This is super important to the segment. If they can cut weight to a full size luxury sedan, S-Class, LS, A8 will have to step up. Jaguar XJ is already one of the lighter ones thanks to an aluminum chassis

Quick Reply: 2016 BMW 7-Series (G11) thread