Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 BMW 7-Series (G11) thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-15, 04:56 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I think it looks good enough. I love the LED lighting on the ground as puddle lights. They completely took the interior elements of the new S class and put it here, from the diamond quilted pattern on the leather seats to the rear tray table, as well as the wood trim behind the front seats. I may be wrong but I dont think previous 7 series had these.

They also stole magic body control...

but having said that, I am finding this new 7 series to be growing on me and fast. Love the tablet in the rear seat and even like the styling inside and out overall. Dare I say it tops the S class?

Last edited by RXSF; 06-10-15 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-10-15, 05:06 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, the previous 7 is like a Camry compare to the new S class. Now the new 7 is finally up to the same level.

BTW, I contacted the dealer and they told me I'm way too early to ask them about the new 7. :C

Won't be available till 4th quarter. :/
Old 06-10-15, 05:16 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Glad to hear the V12 will continue to be a halo, albeit a rare one

Some great info @cmk1
Old 06-10-15, 05:18 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I will give Lexus the benefit of the doubt but they really have to bring everything they got into the new LS, especially since it is taking them this long. I dont really see how they can top this, but I said the same thing about the 7 when the S class came out
Old 06-10-15, 06:26 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The outside styling looks nice but I think the center dash is kind of plain, the design and look to me does not really resemble a flagship and more of a entry to mid level car. What is up with that new annoying pointless hand gestures to operate functions in the car Is this where we are heading, no more easy to use intuitive buttons for having to use hand gestures and movements to operate functions, extremely annoying and pointlessly complicated, don't see any reliability problems with that especially in a high dollar German car. Why are so many manufactures trying to eliminate buttons and switches in automobiles like they are some kind of a bad thing? Buttons and switches are the most reliable, sensible, intuitive least complicated way to operate functions in a car.

4 cylinders don't belong in flagship sedans, I don't care if it has a supercharger, turbo, or matted to a hybrid. I doubt you will see any real world fuel economy gains with a 4 cyl in a big heavy sedan compared to a 6 cylinder and it won't be smooth or sound good.
Old 06-10-15, 07:51 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I think it looks good enough. I love the LED lighting on the ground as puddle lights. They completely took the interior elements of the new S class and put it here, from the diamond quilted pattern on the leather seats to the rear tray table, as well as the wood trim behind the front seats. I may be wrong but I dont think previous 7 series had these.

They also stole magic body control...

but having said that, I am finding this new 7 series to be growing on me and fast. Love the tablet in the rear seat and even like the styling inside and out overall. Dare I say it tops the S class?
From my view it at least matches the S-class. Also wanted to note their "version" of Magic Body Control isn't nearly as sophisticated and won't produce the same results. trade off being the 7-series will almost certainly be a more athletic car overall, which we know isn't the Benz's mission.

I look forward to the road tests.
Old 06-10-15, 09:05 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 397 Likes on 241 Posts
Default 23 Things You Should Know About the 2016 BMW 7 Series

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...-bmw-7-series/

Oh my word
Old 06-10-15, 09:18 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2016 BMW 7-Series.
Old 06-10-15, 09:55 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DISPLAY KEY

Also hurray for M-SPORT

Old 06-10-15, 10:48 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

hahaha

THE NEW TOUCH SCREEN

such silliness.

The germans didn't have touchscreens for a while, and then Lexus stupidly got rid of their touchscreens.

Now BMW adds touchscreen, so I expect Lexus will one day bring it back again.

Overall, car looks meh. S class still king. 7 just doesn't have the premium look. Looks much better than that ugly A8, but still a good distance behind S class.

That face. Audi and BMW big brothers have the ugliest faces in the family.
Old 06-11-15, 05:47 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
hahaha

THE NEW TOUCH SCREEN

such silliness.

The germans didn't have touchscreens for a while, and then Lexus stupidly got rid of their touchscreens.

Now BMW adds touchscreen, so I expect Lexus will one day bring it back again.

Overall, car looks meh. S class still king. 7 just doesn't have the premium look. Looks much better than that ugly A8, but still a good distance behind S class.

That face. Audi and BMW big brothers have the ugliest faces in the family.

This!

iDrive, MME, Touchpad, etc it all takes more time to get where you want to get on screen than actual touchscreen. It was a gimmick that maybe had a stronghold due to poor touchscreen performance and poor integration but there is no better alternative to touchscreen especially a big one. Lexus ended up as a follower instead of building up on its touchscreen interface but it was never their strong point either.

BTW 7 series has a body of perfect 5er. I wish this was a 5 series really minus backseats.
Inside is too sterile to be considered extravagant, especially the rear with the silly Android tablet and interface. Automatic park thing is a gimmick much like LS self-parking feature that you use once or twice to show your friends and that's about it. Lighting all around is badass and much better than current S-class.

Overall very nice car and achievement for BMW.
Old 06-11-15, 06:38 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

You now have three choices:
-I-drive rotary **** physical controller
-Touch Screen
-Hand Gesture Control

=)
Old 06-11-15, 06:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
iDrive, MME, Touchpad, etc it all takes more time to get where you want to get on screen than actual touchscreen.
yup. i criticized the lack of touch screen trend but of course 'true believers' insisted pads/controllers were the only 'proper' way.

but these back and forth will give way to other interfaces like just waving hands/fingers in the air, using your eyes, and much better voice control.
Old 06-11-15, 06:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

to the giant 'display' key fob though - seems almost as big as a phone.
hopefully one can use a phone INSTEAD.
Old 06-11-15, 07:53 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
to the giant 'display' key fob though - seems almost as big as a phone.
hopefully one can use a phone INSTEAD.
Smartphones can be easily hacked. I personally wouldn't my phone to be involved with any part of my car. In case my phone gets lost or stolen, then who knows what hackers and thieves will do...

Quick Reply: 2016 BMW 7-Series (G11) thread