Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Remote Touch Navigation is terrible and backwards technology IMO

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-16, 10:06 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

never cared for touch screens in a car, aside from always having to wipe off fingerprints I don't like having to reach forward to use it, nor do I care for non-tactile touch.

I am driving and I do not want to take my eyes off the road to look at a screen, I very much like how high up the monitor is and a joystick and touch pad is the only option for that.

frankly I don't care for the touch pad for the same reason I stated above, I do not care for non-tactile controls.

the majority of the radio control can be had via the steering control or the tactile buttons on the console, I prefer these as I can feel them and not have to look at them while driving.
Old 04-08-16, 06:55 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

After discussion with some execs, I was under the impression that the current RTI was considered an ergonomic failure by Lexus (it's possible I misunderstood if it is actually becoming the norm over RT). Or is the one going in the LC and other new models a revision?
Old 09-15-19, 02:45 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

well here we are 8 years after my original post and Lexus has finally figured it out. hopefully all of their new cars will include a touchscreen -

2020 Lexus RX: First Impressions of the Updated Multimedia System
A quick glimpse at Lexus’ improved infotainment experience
Stefan Ogbac
MotorTrend.com
May 31, 2019

The addition of a touchscreen on the 2020 Lexus RX does much to improve the experience. After playing around with it, we learned the screen responds in a timely manner; you're not waiting more than a few seconds for things to load. Consumers more familiar with touchscreen interfaces should appreciate how easy the new system is to use. There's minimal lag, and it seems quick enough that it doesn't complain if you input one too many commands all at once.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020...imedia-system/
Old 09-15-19, 10:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

is lexus the only brand still using a touch pad?

my g90 doesn't have a touch screen (the 2020 does though) but the big controller wheel, couple of buttons, steering wheel controls and voice commands are more than adequate, and quick. and yeah i don't miss the fingerprints.
Old 09-15-19, 10:26 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

my g90 doesn't have a touch screen (the 2020 does though) but the big controller wheel, couple of buttons, steering wheel controls and voice commands are more than adequate, and quick. and yeah i don't miss the fingerprints.
In the newest version of Mercedes' infotainment system (MBUX), they've removed the rotary dial and now only have a touchpad and touchscreen combo, just like Lexus is doing in the upcoming RX, and future models after that, I'm assuming. Mercedes does have the BlackBerry style trackpad on the steering wheel in addition to control the infotainment system, which is genius, imo.

Last edited by signdetres; 09-15-19 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-15-19, 10:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ great post, thanks.
Old 09-15-19, 11:34 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Gekko
well here we are 8 years after my original post and Lexus has finally figured it out. hopefully all of their new cars will include a touchscreen -

2020 Lexus RX: First Impressions of the Updated Multimedia System
A quick glimpse at Lexus’ improved infotainment experience
Stefan Ogbac
MotorTrend.com
May 31, 2019

The addition of a touchscreen on the 2020 Lexus RX does much to improve the experience. After playing around with it, we learned the screen responds in a timely manner; you're not waiting more than a few seconds for things to load. Consumers more familiar with touchscreen interfaces should appreciate how easy the new system is to use. There's minimal lag, and it seems quick enough that it doesn't complain if you input one too many commands all at once.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020...imedia-system/
I think the fact that Lexus added a touch screen to their RX is evidence that their remote touch was flawed. I would expect the ES350 to add it next.
Old 09-16-19, 06:33 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

The RDX has a touch pad that has been universally panned as well.
Old 09-16-19, 08:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
The RDX has a touch pad that has been universally panned as well.
glad it's unanimous then.
Old 09-16-19, 09:01 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

LOL at the motor trend article saying you're not waiting more than a few seconds for things to load. In our world, things need to load in milliseconds, not seconds which I am sure the Lexus does. Bad writing.
Old 09-23-19, 06:36 AM
glenneagle
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

What is so frustrating about Lexus adopting the touchpad is that for years Lexus was THE LEADER in ergonomics, and a pioneer in using a touchscreen.
When the LS460 came out in 2007, Consumer Reports gave it 99, vs 73 for the current LS500. The 2007 LS460 was praised in particular for its convenient controls and its touchscreen.At the same time, BMW, MB, Audi were panned for their screen control systems..
So it is ironic that today Lexus has the worst system of all brands, while the Germans offer touchscreens as well as other superior control systems.
It is good news that Lexus seems to be including a touchscreen as it refreshes its models. However,to introduce a touchscreen into the new LS500 will involve a total redesign of the dash.
Old 09-23-19, 07:04 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Toyota should set up shop in Silicon Valley for software development. Their ***** is just amateurish.
Old 09-23-19, 07:37 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

New RX user interface made it to this year's Wards Best UX List.

The Lexus RX is the most popular luxury utility vehicle in America, having sold more than 192,000 units since October 2018.

Add in an award-winning user experience, and the RX makes even more sense for shoppers demanding luxury, style and state-of-the-art connectivity and driver-assistance technology.

The large, horizontal display screenseems to hover above the instrument panel, in clear view of the driver, and the head-up display is vibrant and colorful, with turn-by-turn navigation directions if desired.

The swirling startup sequence on the display screen continues to impress, and four USB ports can be found in the front and second rows. Voice controls work well, allowing drivers to change climate settings, find radio stations and program navigation destinations, even with natural speech commands.

The center screen is the main access point for numerous vehicle and comfort settings, and it can be used as a touchscreen or controlled by the mousepad ergonomically placed in the console, to the right of the shifter.

Judges praised the RX’s ACC system for its smooth acceleration and braking. The RX even keeps sight of the road through odd construction-zone lane markings, and the lane-keeping system does its job effectively without nannying the driver.
Source
Old 10-20-19, 04:34 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

2019 Lexus ES350 F Sport Drivers' Notes Some F, more luxury
A sweet V6 in a sharp package impresses us
ZAC PALMER
Oct 19th 2019 at 8:00AM
AutoBlog.com

Editor-in-Chief Greg Migliore: I’m going to zero-in on the infotainment system's touchpad, which sits to the right of the driver. It’s tricky to use, especially while driving. To be fair, I didn’t spend a ton of time in this otherwise enjoyable ES 350 F Sport, but tuning the radio and toggling through the different sources (FM, XM, etc.) shouldn’t require all that much education. There are redundant controls for some of the functionality, but this still isn't great. You can do a lot of things with this touchpad -- flick, zoom, scroll -- it’s good in theory. But in practice, I find it annoying, and in traffic it can be distracting. There are simpler solutions that are better. Toyota has plenty of good tech hardware. The next day I drove an Avalon hybrid and had no issues with the touchscreen-operated infotainment. There was almost no adjustment period. That's the way to go.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/10/19/...drivers-notes/
Old 12-16-19, 03:15 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Lexus Set To Bring Back Touchscreens
APR 23, 2019 BY JARED ROSENHOLTZ INTERVIEW
CarBuzz.com

"The more you can make functionality similar to what people are used to seeing here," Christ said while pointing at a smartphone, "the better you are. We have had feedback that there are some things that functionally, you have to dig down through menus to get to. The consumers don't like that, both with us and competitors. So that kind of ease of use is a key driving force of what we want our infotainment system to be. We acknowledge that we need a great system out there because the current system is not well-rated by consumers. So we want to improve upon that."

https://carbuzz.com/news/lexus-set-t...k-touchscreens

Last edited by Gekko; 12-18-19 at 03:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Remote Touch Navigation is terrible and backwards technology IMO