Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

November 2010 Monthly Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-10, 08:33 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Oh Ooops

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
^ Wonder why the Cruze is included here. The Cruze competes with the Corolla/Civic compact class. The Malibu's inclusion is the correct competitor.

Toyota may have to pull out all the stops on the Camry to maintain #1 until the 2012 comes out. The Accord is dangerously close, never mind the Altima.
My bad, the Cruz is not meant to be there ...

For the year, the Camry stands at 296,581 (-7.5%) & the Accord @ 279,000 (+6.9) ... it is gonna be #1 for the year easily ...

Last edited by GS69; 12-02-10 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-02-10, 08:51 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
They're advertising leases here for $399 a month and $399 down...pretty aggressive if you ask me.
Hmm, that does sound pretty aggressive. Is that for the V6 or V8 model? Do you know how long that's been advertised for in your area, or how long it's been going on?

I am left scratching my head with the 7 Series.

The older LS and S have been handily outselling it for a while and I thought that the addition of the 740i would have bumped up the numbers a bit.

Panamera, a somewhat niche car, has been close to 7 Series sales figures for the last few months. It makes me wonder if those looking for a sporty flagship may have turned on BMW and instead gone over to Porsche.

IMO, it's obvious that Mercedes and Lexus are the leaders in this class because they offer what buyers really want. Luxury and innovation are first and foremost with sport taking a backseat. 7 Series is still a great car but BMW just cannot outdo Merc and Lexus at their own game, and this is where both are most at home.

On a somewhat related note, XJ sales continue to be dismal and the A8 is just barely hanging on.
I totally agree. BMW is not really blowing away anyone with the new 7 Series. It's competitive yes, but clearly we can see more people prefer the S Class and LS. I wouldn't be surprised if the Panamera is taking away some 7 Series sales. To be honest, between the 7 and Panamera, I would rather take the Panamera.

Originally Posted by GS69
The power of the Camry never ceases to amaze me (not to mention its off-shoots like the RX350). Sales are down 27.4% & yet it still outsells everything else in its class -- even tho they all have increases in sales:
Camry 20,737 -27.4%
Accord 19,025 +5.8%
Altima 18,372 +18.6%
Fusion 17,647 +28.1%
Sonata 14,031
Malibu 11,651 +4.8%
Cruze 8,066
Legacy 3,133 +12%
6 2,789 +21.4%
Optima 1,289
Kizashi 729
Passat 313 -17%
Camry has usually had a big gap to the competition, with the exception of the Accord. No surprise it's still top seller even with Toyota's problems this year and competition increasing sales.

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-

Toyota may have to pull out all the stops on the Camry to maintain #1 until the 2012 comes out. The Accord is dangerously close, never mind the Altima.
I think a late push for December should help Camry sales. Maybe offer some sweeter deals here and there. For 2011 the Camry should be fine as the model changeover occurs and the new model comes out.
Old 12-02-10, 09:03 AM
LexFather

I'm confused does the Accord sales include the 2k plus of the Crosstour or not?

Old 12-02-10, 09:04 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

jaguar land rover reports u.s. Sales for november

jaguar land rover north america sales increase 22 percent for month on strength of new models from both brands
land rover lr4 continues to be company's most improved sales performer with 155 percent sales increase for the month of november
jaguar xj is volume leader for jaguar in november
jaguar platinum coverage offers jaguar customers' 5 years-50,000 miles of free maintenance, including wear and tear items

december 1, 2010 mahwah, nj - jaguar land rover north america today reported november u.s. Sales: Land rover sales were 2,922 units, 35 percent up from 2,166 units in november 2009; jaguar sales were 1,117 units, 3 percent down from 1,153 units in november 2009. Jaguar land rover north america november u.s. Sales for both brands hit 4,039 units, a 22 percent increase from 3,319 in november 2009. On a calendar year to date basis versus 2009, jaguar land rover north america sales are up 21 percent to 40,329 units.

"in november we saw stability in the market as our newest products, the 2011 jaguar xj and the 2011 model year land rover models continued their steady increase in sales," said jlrna president gary temple. "on the jaguar side, the xj continues to be strong becoming our jaguar volume leader, while on the land rover side, the range rover sport and redesigned lr4 continue to be our overall volume leader and most improved sales models respectively."

U.S. Brand highlights

land roverland rover's u.s. Sales in november were up 35 percent driven by the appeal of the 2011 models and improved business conditions. The volume leader for november was the range rover sport with 1,109 units sold, up 12 percent from november, 2009. The re-designed lr4 continues its sales surge, increasing 155 percent to 863 units, up from 338 in november 2009. For the year, sales of land rover's four models have increased 24 percent to 28,169 units.

For the 2011 model year land rover's lineup features four models: The 230-hp 3.0 liter i6 powered lr2; the new lr4 powered by the 375-hp 5.0 liter v8; the range rover sport and range rover, both available with the naturally-aspirated 375-hp v8 and 510-hp supercharged 5.0 liter v8 powertrains.

jaguar
for november, jaguar's volume leader was the jaguar xj with 512 units sold. Within the jaguar xj lineup, the most popular model is the xjl naturally aspirated long wheelbase model with almost half of all sales. Approximately half of all xj sales are conquest sales from other brands. For the year, sales of jaguar's three models have increased 14 percent to 12,160 units.

For the 2011 my, jaguar platinum coverage will give jaguar owners increased vehicle warranty coverage and the best maintenance plan in the business. The new jaguar platinum coverage features a five year/50,000 mile new vehicle limited warranty and complimentary scheduled maintenance for the duration of the warranty period, including no-cost replacement of select wear and tear components, and 24/7 roadside assistance. This no-cost coverage includes oil changes, filters, brake pads, brake discs, brake fluids and wiper blade inserts.
Old 12-02-10, 09:05 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm confused does the Accord sales include the 2k plus of the Crosstour or not?
it includes it.
Old 12-02-10, 09:06 AM
LexFather

Notes

Camaro tops Mustang
Cruze sold over 8k units
Regal nearly sold 2k units
Chrysler 300 had a huge drop
New Jeep GC sold a huge 10k units!
Benz GL sells strong
C-class had a drop
GLK 2nd strongest selling cute ute
Acura passed by Buick, Caddy,Audi catching up
TSX passed TL this month as sales leader
MDX sells strong
Lexus sales down
LS leads class
ES selling strong
GX/LX selling very strong
HS doing poorly (we helped last month )
More R8s were sold than TTs, or RX-8s!
New lease/free maintenance helped XF sales
Porsche Panamera/Cayenne beasts, what sports cars?

Old 12-02-10, 09:07 AM
LexFather

Okay comparison figures updates on page 1.

Full Porsche figures
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...01/509095.html

Jaguar/Land Rover figures
http://www.jaguar.com/us/en/#/about_...t_US_Nov_sales

Last month

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...es-thread.html

Old 12-02-10, 09:31 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Despite Toyota sales dropping a little bit this year they are still number 1 worldwide? Correct
I swear every time I visited another country I see more Toyota cars than any cars. Question? Who sells the most luxury cars in the world?
Old 12-02-10, 09:38 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rogers2
Despite Toyota sales dropping a little bit this year they are still number 1 worldwide? Correct
I swear every time I visited another country I see more Toyota cars than any cars. Question? Who sells the most luxury cars in the world?
Its a fight between Audi/BMW/Benz, not sure who is first thus far but they usually are around the 900k-1 mill range with only a few thousand units separating themselves. Lexus is a distant fourth and no one is close after that.

Old 12-02-10, 09:48 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Notes
Camaro tops Mustang -
Cruze sold over 8k units
Regal nearly sold 2k units
Chrysler 300 had a huge drop
New Jeep GC sold a huge 10k units!
Benz GL sells strong
C-class had a drop
GLK 2nd strongest selling cute ute
Acura passed by Buick, Caddy,Audi catching up
TSX passed TL this month as sales leader
MDX sells strong
Lexus sales down
LS leads class
ES selling strong
GX/LX selling very strong
HS doing poorly (we helped last month )
More R8s were sold than TTs, or RX-8s!
New lease/free maintenance helped XF sales
Porsche Panamera/Cayenne beasts, what sports cars?
- It's funny the back and forth between Camaro and Mustang. They seem to switch positions every month.

- I don't know why, but I have yet to see a Chevy Cruze - period.

- Chrysler 300 may be affected, among other things, by the fact that the new redesigned model was shown last month. People interested in the 300 may now just be waiting.

- Jeep GC is certainly Chrysler showing that they're capable of doing a great job. Problem is, they only have two current models displaying such ability (Ram being the other).

- The TSX/TL switch is no surprise. Of course the TSX looks far better but aside from that, the TSX has essentially assumed the price spot that the old TL sat in.

- Porsche is seeing where the money is, not necessarily a great thing for Porsche purists.
Old 12-02-10, 10:41 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't believe Infiniti only sold 2 more Ms than Lincoln sold MKSs.
Old 12-02-10, 10:48 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Toyota Slows Fleet Sales

LOS ANGELES -- Toyota Motor Corp. blamed its 3% U.S. sales decline primarily on a sharp drop in fleet shipments.

Compared with November 2009, Toyota's fleet sales fell 58% last month, while its retail sales were flat. Typically, fleet business accounts for roughly 10% of Toyota's monthly sales volume, but last month fleet volume was closer to 6% of sales.

That led to an overall sales decline of 4% for the Toyota brand.

“When we look at the level of incentives available to fleet consumers, we chose not to participate in those programs,”
said Bob Carter, Toyota Division general manager.

A shift by consumers to trucks also hit Toyota's overall sales numbers. Carter downplayed the recall crisis earlier this year as a reason for Toyota's downward trend.

“The perception of the brand isn't where it was 18 months ago, but our loyalty and retention of owner body hasn't wavered 1 bit,” Carter said. “About 65% of our owners repurchase a Toyota, and that leads the industry. We noticed a sharp decline in our ability to attract new owners, but starting in July that has recovered.”

In addition to the Toyota brand decline, Lexus was off 1%. Scion sales jumped 25%.
Old 12-02-10, 10:51 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly I am a little surprised that the Regal could only muster 1,979 sales...then again, maybe not so much.

For one it's a brand new product and two, Buick has been advertising the hell out of that car on TV and billboards. I thought it would be selling more in the 3K/month range, especially with the LaCrosse doing more than 4K units.

However, when you look at what type of value the Regal offers, I am not exactly surprised. $27K will buy you a top-tier V6 Camry or Accord, and that is right around the base price of the Regal. You can spend a few bucks less and get 4cyl versions of those same cars that are still nicely equipped. On the flip side, you can spend a little more coin and get into an ES350, CTS, or C300. Tough spot to be in for the Regal, and as outlined above, it certainly doesn't scream "value" IMO.
Old 12-02-10, 10:55 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69

LOS ANGELES -- Toyota Motor Corp. blamed its 3% U.S. sales decline primarily on a sharp drop in fleet shipments.

Compared with November 2009, Toyota's fleet sales fell 58% last month, while its retail sales were flat. Typically, fleet business accounts for roughly 10% of Toyota's monthly sales volume, but last month fleet volume was closer to 6% of sales.

That led to an overall sales decline of 4% for the Toyota brand.

“When we look at the level of incentives available to fleet consumers, we chose not to participate in those programs,”
said Bob Carter, Toyota Division general manager.

A shift by consumers to trucks also hit Toyota's overall sales numbers. Carter downplayed the recall crisis earlier this year as a reason for Toyota's downward trend.

“The perception of the brand isn't where it was 18 months ago, but our loyalty and retention of owner body hasn't wavered 1 bit,” Carter said. “About 65% of our owners repurchase a Toyota, and that leads the industry. We noticed a sharp decline in our ability to attract new owners, but starting in July that has recovered.”

In addition to the Toyota brand decline, Lexus was off 1%. Scion sales jumped 25%.

It's bound to happen and it shouldn't surprise anyone to see the Camry's sales number dropped this month. The Camry's fleet rate is around 11% (give or take) while the nearest competitor (Accord) is only at 2%. Still not bad as those who heavily depend on fleet sales. Not uncommon to see cars like the Malibu with 30%+ fleet rate.
Old 12-02-10, 10:55 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Can't believe Infiniti only sold 2 more Ms than Lincoln sold MKSs.
I'd take an MKS.

The new M is another flop for Infiniti.

Quick Reply: November 2010 Monthly Sales Thread