Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Slowpoke bill, do you agree?
Yes, move your slow behind over or get a ticket
59.02%
Yes, but its hopeless won't be enforced
27.87%
No, once they go the speed limit they can drive in the fast lane
6.56%
No, people need to slow down
1.64%
GA sucks
4.92%
I don't drive in the fast lane
0%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

GA; Proposed bill: Move over, slowpoke

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-10, 11:31 AM
LexFather

Thumbs up GA; Proposed bill: Move over, slowpoke

http://www.times-georgian.com/view/f...e=west_ga_news

Proposed bill: Move over, slowpoke
by Bennett Rolan/Times-Georgian

Butler, who was on his way to the legislative session in Atlanta, was stuck behind a string of eight cars driving below the speed limit in the left lane.

“The car in front is going side by side with another car in the right lane,” Butler said via OnStar, a hands-free cell phone service. “Eight cars are going under the speed limit because the person is just poking along.”

A month ago, when Butler was in the same situation, he said he decided to take action and create new legislation to enforce the existing law against blocking the passing lane.

Butler’s proposed bill, dubbed the “slowpoke bill,” would impose a $75 fine on any driver who failed to change lanes “once such person knows or should reasonably know that he is being overtaken in such lane from the rear by a motor vehicle traveling at a higher rate of speed, except when such motor vehicle is preparing for a left turn,” according to Georgia code section 40-6-184.

“I don’t know if it’s a lack of education or if people are just not aware of the rules of the road,” Butler said. “The left-hand lane was intended to be for passing only.”

One of the main issues with slower drivers staying in the left lane is road rage, Butler said, since other drivers are likely to feel frustrated.

“It causes unnecessary motion in the lanes where people start weaving in and out,” Butler said.

The Governor’s Office of Highway Safety endorsed Butler’s bill, stating it “will help with lane discipline,” according to Butler.

Though the fine could be issued by any law enforcement agency, it will primarily affect state troopers who patrol multi-lane roads and interstate highways.

“I have pulled people over for it, but I’ve never written a ticket for it,” Trooper Justin Howard said. “I just try to educate them.”

For the most part, Howard said slower drivers are simply not aware they caused a backup.

“I have yet to stop someone who is doing it out of spite,” Howard said. “A lot of them will listen and move over once they realize what they were doing.”

Howard said he hopes the law will raise awareness about leaving the left lane clear since he has seen the issue produce dangerous results in the past.

“It turns into a road rage situation,” Howard said. “The majority we deal with is somebody tailgating them, then the other person brake checks them and there is an accident.”

According to Butler, the only negative feedback he received about the bill was from constituents who didn’t understand its full meaning since they believed it encouraged speeding.

Butler explained the law would not require someone adhering to speed limit laws to pull aside for another driver who was speeding.

But Howard said he does have one apprehension about the potential fine.

“My biggest concern is people who drive too fast will think it gives them the right to continue,” Howard said.

If passed, the bill, House Bill 1047, would take effect July 1.

Old 02-11-10, 11:39 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that there are alot of people out there who do not know that you're not supposed to just cruise along at your own pace in the left lane. It's for passing. Left lane is for hangin out.
Old 02-11-10, 12:14 PM
jaseman
Pole Position

PA has a similar law, but it's never really enforced.

I blame cruise control. Most people set it where they're comfortable, and leave it there, even if it means sitting beside another slow moving vehicle for 10 miles.
Old 02-11-10, 12:38 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lane discipline in general is lacking in the US. Many Americans don't have a clue.
Old 02-11-10, 12:43 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Atlanta is the only city that I've been to where it's an issue. From what I saw, there were a large number of people driving exactly as stated in the article and I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on.

But it seemed like it was normal so I just moved to the right and merged in with the faster flow of traffic.
Old 02-11-10, 12:44 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Lane discipline in general is lacking in the US. Many Americans don't have a clue.
Definitely. Another problem is just lack of awareness. Nobody bothers to check their mirrors anymore. If they did, like they're supposed to, they would see the faster cars coming up behind them or the line of traffic they're holding up.
Old 02-11-10, 12:47 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Funny it becomes a big deal when it affects them directly. Sadly, I contribute to that by goin around 67mph in the left lane. People here have heavy feet plain and simple. Everyone is always in a damn hurry here, flyin by me at 80+. I'd rather not cruise at 67 in the slow lane constantly having to pass the folks going under 65.....So technically I'm still passing, but at a slower rate than others.
Old 02-11-10, 12:53 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RX_330
Definitely. Another problem is just lack of awareness. Nobody bothers to check their mirrors anymore. If they did, like they're supposed to, they would see the faster cars coming up behind them or the line of traffic they're holding up.
Good points, all should be practiced as part of good driving.

Are the GA drivers saying the fast lane hogs are even worse drivers than the usual crap drivers throughout the US?.
Old 02-11-10, 12:55 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Funny it becomes a big deal when it affects them directly. Sadly, I contribute to that by goin around 67mph in the left lane. People here have heavy feet plain and simple. Everyone is always in a damn hurry here, flyin by me at 80+. I'd rather not cruise at 67 in the slow lane constantly having to pass the folks going under 65.....So technically I'm still passing, but at a slower rate than others.
From what I've seen in Atlanta. The three right lanes will all be moving at 70mph but the left lane for whatever reason will be stuck below 60. For absolutely no reason at all. Then someone in the line will pass the lead 60mph car to jump in front of them and then cruise at 63 and start the process all over again.
Old 02-11-10, 12:59 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ Above (2 examples) are perfect examples of lack of lane discipline in practice.

(and examples of drivers that don't even understand the concept)

Last edited by IS-SV; 02-11-10 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-11-10, 01:03 PM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jewcano
This is all fine and dandy but if you do not have someone coming behind you. Does not matter if you go 65,67 or 90. If they pass you when you going 67 he willing to take the risk of getting a speeding ticket. You should not be going 67 if people are behind you in a passing lane.
Old 02-11-10, 01:03 PM
hughh
Pole Position

Back in the 50's I remember one of the few divided highways then in Wisconsin had signs telling people that by law, left lane was only for passing. That's when most of the country's speed limit was 70mph.
Old 02-11-10, 01:05 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hughh
Back in the 50's I remember one of the few divided highways then in Wisconsin had signs telling people that by law, left lane was only for passing. That's when most of the country's speed limit was 70mph.
In CA the freeways today have numerous signs, something like SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT.
Old 02-11-10, 01:07 PM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS-SV
In CA the freeways today have numerous signs, something like SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT.
We definitely needed it in Mass. I hate left lane camper and there tons here. These people are just clueless here.
Old 02-11-10, 01:15 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

In Michigan, I've only seen those signs in and around Lansing. People still don't do it.

Quick Reply: GA; Proposed bill: Move over, slowpoke