Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Slowpoke bill, do you agree?
Yes, move your slow behind over or get a ticket
59.02%
Yes, but its hopeless won't be enforced
27.87%
No, once they go the speed limit they can drive in the fast lane
6.56%
No, people need to slow down
1.64%
GA sucks
4.92%
I don't drive in the fast lane
0%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

GA; Proposed bill: Move over, slowpoke

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-10, 01:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
From what I've seen in Atlanta. The three right lanes will all be moving at 70mph but the left lane for whatever reason will be stuck below 60. For absolutely no reason at all. Then someone in the line will pass the lead 60mph car to jump in front of them and then cruise at 63 and start the process all over again.
It is HORRIBLE here. The slow lanes constantly is faster than the fast lane! Everyone here thinks there is some sort of odd entitlement to being in the fast lane.

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Good points, all should be practiced as part of good driving.

Are the GA drivers saying the fast lane hogs are even worse drivers than the usual crap drivers throughout the US?.
Its BAD BAD BAD here

Old 02-11-10, 01:27 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Lane discipline is general very poor all over North America. Drivers in the province of Quebec are the best from my experience.
Old 02-11-10, 01:47 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

From what I've seen in Atlanta. The three right lanes will all be moving at 70mph but the left lane for whatever reason will be stuck below 60. For absolutely no reason at all. Then someone in the line will pass the lead 60mph car to jump in front of them and then cruise at 63 and start the process all over again.
Originally Posted by wmb0000
This is all fine and dandy but if you do not have someone coming behind you. Does not matter if you go 65,67 or 90. If they pass you when you going 67 he willing to take the risk of getting a speeding ticket. You should not be going 67 if people are behind you in a passing lane.
And this is why they should have an electronically controlled lane. You get in it, and it automatically sets your car to cruise at exactly 65..... Everyone else feel free to use the other lanes....Don't ask me how to implement it.....just a wild idea
Old 02-11-10, 03:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Butler, who was on his way to the legislative session in Atlanta, was stuck behind a string of eight cars driving below the speed limit in the left lane.

“The car in front is going side by side with another car in the right lane,” Butler said via OnStar, a hands-free cell phone service. “Eight cars are going under the speed limit because the person is just poking along.”
In this SPECIFIC kind of situation, then yes, I agree with the intent of the bill. When you have persons in the left lane going UNDER the speed limit...they SHOULD move over, or get ticketed. But the bill needs to specifically spell that out, and NOT apply to those in the left lane who are going the speed limit, or over. In fact, most state driving codes SPECIFICALLY state that the left lane is for those going the limit...and the right lanes are for slower traffic.

In fact, if the bill encourages just more speeding and violation of state speed limits in the left lane, the GA courts may throw it out as unconstitutional. If a state has legislated speed limits, and a bill is passed that effectively nullifies those limits, the courts probably won't uphold it unless the speed limits themselves are repealed (as the way Montana was some time ago, with no published limits).

Translation, in plain English: You can't legislate a speed limit with one hand and a bill that ignores it with the other. That simply won't work.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-11-10 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-11-10, 03:55 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see it more of a drivers education issue, not a legislative issue.
Old 02-11-10, 06:55 PM
TCM55
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Agreed!

I don't care if you are going the speed limit in the left lane, you have to be considerate of other people who need to go places faster than you! Now you may be tempted to say "Well why didn't you leave for work earlier?," or "Why didn't you make previous arrangements to prevent your rush?," well there are certain situations where that is not possible. You also have to consider that other people don't believe in the posted speed limit and choose to disobey it at their own risk and it is their option to do so.

Perfect example #1 (from my own experience): I've had stomach virus since Monday night. Well on Wednesday during my drive home, I had the dire need to use the restroom in the middle of my drive, yet I had two slow pokes in the left & right lanes of a long, mostly empty, well paved two lane highway. As a result of the impolite person in the left lane, who even after a short high beam blink or two would not move, I was unable to pass. Instead of being able to make it to a restroom at a much quicker (but still safe) rate of speed, I was stuck going slow trying not to $$$t myself . Now had the driver been informed, he/she could have had the decency to temporarily speed up and move out of the way to prevent me from almost soiling myself.
Old 02-11-10, 06:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Atlanta is the only city that I've been to where it's an issue.
must not have traveled much then! it happens pretty much ALL OVER the u.s.

for an 'advanced' nation we have the stupidest driving 'test' imaginable, and pathetic road skills in general.
Old 02-11-10, 09:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I agree to some extent, but the police have to use the law in determining who gets warnings/tickets, and who doesn't. And the law, obviously, has to be consistant....either speed limits (and left-lane driving) are speed limits, or they aren't. It simply boils down to that.....although, of course, some leeway is left in for such things as speedometer error and road conditions.

I'm not really arguing for or against either position here.....simply pointing out the inconsistancy.
Old 02-11-10, 09:29 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

Agreed, but there are a lot of people that need negative reinforcement to get the message.
Old 02-12-10, 07:03 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
must not have traveled much then! it happens pretty much ALL OVER the u.s.
Actually I have, as a ballplayer and or coach, I've spent a considerable amount of time in a large number of cities over a number of years. Atlanta is in a different category when it comes to this particular topic as it's REALLY prevalent there and there's no real reasoning as to why. And I do live in NYC so trust me, there's isn't much we don't see traffic-wise.

The fact that someone is trying to enact this into law is a clue how bad it really is.
Old 02-12-10, 07:09 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

slow driver on the highway is just as dangerous as a fast driver
Old 02-12-10, 09:39 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
Agreed, but there are a lot of people that need negative reinforcement to get the message.
Good point, some people only learn via that technique.
Old 02-12-10, 09:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
for an 'advanced' nation we have the stupidest driving 'test' imaginable, and pathetic road skills in general.
That's because people here simply don't take driving seriously. Look at the sheer number of cell-phone users, texters, and people drying their hair, reading the newspaper, drinking Big Gulps, fiddling with laptops checking stock prices, etc..... while driving. In my D.C. area (which of course, has always been highly mobile) I estimate, based on my own daily obervations, that 20-30% of all drivers are on a cell phone at any given moment. I see it constantly...day in and day out.

And this is unlikely to change anytime soon, because politicians who try and enact any laws/enforcement with real teeth in them to deal with this stuff (not just secondary laws and lax enforcement that is not a real deterrent) are likely to be voted out of office.

However, in VA, the detector-ban laws generally buck this trend. VA has these no-detector laws, and moderate speed limits, because the public, here, generally wants it that way. But, even here in VA, the public simply will not accept a cell-phone-use ban. They are determined to use those phones while driving, no matter what the laws are.

Of course, the thread topic is a GA pull-over law (sorry if I got carrried away). I still, from my earlier posts, think there is an inconsistancy if you have legal speed limits and, at the same time, a pull-over law in the left lane so that those who are determined to exceed those limits by more than a few MPH can freely do so in that lane. It just doesn't make sense. One or the other has to change. Again, I'm not arguing for or against either side, but simply pointing out an inconsistancy.

If the proposed law, however, applies only to those in the left lane going SLOWER than the legal speed limit, than it DOES make sense.....and, IMO, should be adopted.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-12-10 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-12-10, 10:40 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Left lane etiquette rule number 1.

If your in the left lane (regardless of speed) and a car comes up behind you, move out of the way. It's simple. It doesn't matter if you're doing triple digits. If the guy behind you wants to go triple digits + 3, get the he** out of the way.
Old 02-12-10, 11:13 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Left lane etiquette rule number 1.

If your in the left lane (regardless of speed) and a car comes up behind you, move out of the way. It's simple. It doesn't matter if you're doing triple digits. If the guy behind you wants to go triple digits + 3, get the he** out of the way.
Exactly, good safe driving and good survival technique. Like the signs say, Slower Traffic Keep Right.

Quick Reply: GA; Proposed bill: Move over, slowpoke