Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Slowpoke bill, do you agree?
Yes, move your slow behind over or get a ticket
59.02%
Yes, but its hopeless won't be enforced
27.87%
No, once they go the speed limit they can drive in the fast lane
6.56%
No, people need to slow down
1.64%
GA sucks
4.92%
I don't drive in the fast lane
0%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

GA; Proposed bill: Move over, slowpoke

Old 03-18-10, 08:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
The idea is to keep the "fleet" of traffic flow nice and smooth and dandy.

Smooth flow of traffic leads to:

- Less gas wasted
- Less brake pads wear
- Less rotors wear
- Easier on the engine
- Better fuel consumption
- More pleasant to drive
- Prevent from road rage
- Prevent from accidents
- Prevent you from need to get a gun.....

That's true, but only to an extent. Smooth, continuous traffic flow is indeed safer, but ONLY at moderate speeds. If you have everybody more or less doing the same speeds at too high a rate (75 - 80 MPH, or higher), that's fine for people already ON the Interstate, but it can make it VERY difficult for people entering/exiting the highway if they have to accelerate or brake suddenly on the exit ramps. Not everyone drives Corvettes or Porsches that can accelerate and brake suddenly on those exit ramps....slower-accelerating cars trying to mix in with excessively fast-flowing traffic is not a good recipe for safety. But, of course, if most of the traffic is moving at, say, 60-70 MPH, merging traffic on the entrance ramps is able to do it much safer.

It also depends on the trafic density. Generally, the lower the traffic density, the safer the flow becomes at high speeds.....you have more space, of course, between cars for merging traffic to cut in and out.

Many experienced traffic engineers have studied the so-called "85th-percentile" traffic-flow principle and detail, and, for those reasons, have rejected it at higher speeds.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-18-10 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-18-10, 09:32 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep.. and passing cops at 5~ 9 mph over the speed limit is also acceptable (not all, but most places)..
Yes very common in CA, we can't be bothered to lift off the gas pedal at those speeds exactly as you described.

(One thing to keep in mind is typical speedo error at highway speeds of about 3-4% that leaves a small cushion.)
Old 03-18-10, 09:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
(One thing to keep in mind is typical speedo error at highway speeds of about 3-4% that leaves a small cushion.)
Larger-than-standard wheels or tires, if they affect the outside rolling diameter of the tires, can also compound that natural error by making the speedometer/odometer read low.
Old 03-18-10, 09:41 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Larger-than-standard wheels or tires, if they affect the outside rolling diameter of the tires, can also compound that natural error by making the speedometer/odometer read low.
Of course, the CL enthusiasts here know that and use correct tools in determining outside rolling diameter when making tire selections (to match OEM rolling diameters).

The point of my comment is most OEM speedo setups are about 3-4% optomistic.
Old 03-18-10, 11:25 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

It's optimistic.

Thanks for the spelling fix.
Old 03-18-10, 11:37 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Atlanta has a major problem with this due in part to how their HOV lanes are implemented - at any time you can merge into or out of the HOV, it's just painted white lines separating it from the normal lanes. Obviously this causes a lot of slow drivers, who would otherwise be out of the faster lanes of travel, to frequently be in those lanes.
Old 03-18-10, 05:19 PM
Corey140
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
I've also noticed the Georgia driver also does not know how to make a left against traffic, they don't know how to pull to the middle of the intersection, I'm guessing those are also the ones who sit in the left lane
Yes, Yes, Yes!

One of the biggest damn pet peeves here. How the hell are you going make a left turn, if you are behind the damn line?!?

The left lane is bad here but it hasn't been too bad lately. It does get annoying when you are coming up and folks just sit there or the toe to toe driving...

Atlanta has a major problem with this due in part to how their HOV lanes are implemented - at any time you can merge into or out of the HOV, it's just painted white lines separating it from the normal lanes.
Incorrect. You can only get out of the HOV lane when the lines break. It is illegal to get out of the HOV lane unless the lines are broken. Not that people obey the law...
Old 03-19-10, 06:06 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Here, in south Florida, you can pass cops at any speed (literally). It's the State Troopers you have to look out for. Most municipal cops driving on the highway are just commuting to or from the office and aren't the slightest bit interested in speeders. Oh yea, cop cars here are considered "company cars" and cops take them home when their shift is over.
Old 03-19-10, 10:42 PM
LexFather

It is horrid here. The amount of asinine drivers in the fast lane is just ridiculous. Its sad to see people making all sorts of maneuvers to go around them.

Old 03-20-10, 08:09 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It is horrid here. The amount of asinine drivers in the fast lane is just ridiculous. Its sad to see people making all sorts of maneuvers to go around them.
Same here in PA, except PA has this law, AND SIGNS ON THE HIGHWAYS telling slower traffic to keep right. There's no enforcement, and the law is totally worthless.
Old 03-20-10, 09:35 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Same here in PA, except PA has this law, AND SIGNS ON THE HIGHWAYS telling slower traffic to keep right. There's no enforcement, and the law is totally worthless.
Same problem with same signs in CA. US drivers are so lame, often with the skills of a crash-test dummy.
Old 03-20-10, 10:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

We can all talk.....and debate......this issue over and over again (and we certainly have in the past and present) , but I don't think it's EVER going to be truly solved, even with the proposed GA bill and other bills like it, until the issue of speed limits vs. those in the left lane who want to substantially exceed them is resolved. As long as you have laws limiting speeds on public roads (even in the left lane), bills like this, which demand that those doing at or near the limit in the left lane pull over for those who want to go faster, are going to be in conflict with existing speed limit laws. I just don't see any way around this potential conflict, with the system as it is. But there ARE solutions......which I'll get to, below, in a minute.

Yes, these laws (and customs) work in Europe, but that is because much of Europe has either much higher speed limits than we do, or, as in the case of sections of the German Autobahn, no limits at all. So, in Europe, yes, those in the left lane driving at American-style speed limits ARE legally blocking those who want to drive faster....and, yes, should move over. But, see.....THAT's the difference. In Europe, you CAN legally drive at those much higher limits (if road/traffic conditions allow). Here. you can't. In America, if someone in the left lane DOES pulls over for you and you just keep going your merry way at 90 MPH, you're going to pay if a cop catches you. You can't say to the cop or judge...... "Officer", or "Your Honor" , "this guy pulled over for me so I could do 20 MPH over the limit" (which, in may states, under current laws, is legally reckless driving). Speeding is speeding, regardless of who is in front of you in the left lane and who isn't. But, Europe, of course, you CAN say that...because the limit is sometimes 90 MPH (or higher).

So.....the solution (in America)? As I see it, one of two things. Either forget about left-lane "pull-over laws" altogether, or just have a variable speed limit (or no speed limit) which takes traffic and road conditions into account. Although I'm not a speed demon by any means, on some stretches of Interstate (especially in Plains/Western states), I agree that some of the fixed posted limits are probably too low. They were instituted back in the days (early 1970s) when you had mostly big, V8 gas-guszzlers on the road, with poor aerodynamics/efficiency, getting 10-15 MPG, and lower speeds resulted in substantial fuel savings. That is not the case today...when even big V8s get well over 20 MPG at constant, highway speeds. And, obviously, a clear, straight, dry Interstate can safely tolerate higher average speeds than one that is rainy, snowy, icy, foggy, or clogged with traffic. That's the way it was in Montana for some years........there was no single posted limit on the Interstates, and actual speed "enforcement" (i.e. tickets) was determined by state troopers according to prevaling road conditions. I'd be for a system like that, if other states would adopt it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-20-10 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-20-10, 03:30 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Yes, these laws (and customs) work in Europe, but that is because much of Europe has either much higher speed limits than we do, or, as in the case of sections of the German Autobahn, no limits at all.

Not true in most of Europe. These laws (and customs) work in Europe because of the difference in driver education and skill levels combined with related laws. American drivers are often unskilled, poorly trained, ignorant and arrogant.

But yes I know the debate goes on here, blah, blah, blah...................................
Old 03-20-10, 10:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Not true in most of Europe. These laws (and customs) work in Europe because of the difference in driver education and skill levels combined with related laws. American drivers are often unskilled, poorly trained, ignorant and arrogant.

But yes I know the debate goes on here, blah, blah, blah...................................
Still, the main difference between America and Europe is the higher rural, limited-access highway speed limits there, although the few areas in Germany where is no limit at allon the Autobahns seem to be shrinking as traffic and population keep growing. It is in Germany where the pull-over laws and left-only to-pass rule traditionally work best, because that's where the greatest speed differential between lanes is. America complicates things with speed limits generally in the 55-80 MPH range for all of the lanes.

I agree with you that the arguement on this matter has gotten excessively long. I've made my point (as have some other posters); I respect the opinions of those who disagree, and I will probably get out of the thread now.
Old 03-21-10, 04:19 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by hughh
Back in the 50's I remember one of the few divided highways then in Wisconsin had signs telling people that by law, left lane was only for passing. That's when most of the country's speed limit was 70mph.
and most highways were only 2 lanes in both directions which is the only time this law is needed & I believe the original intent of laws like this

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GA; Proposed bill: Move over, slowpoke