Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Mini Coupe Concept

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-09, 06:57 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Mini Coupe Concept

The first classic Mini was presented to the public on 26 August 1959. Exactly fifty years on and nearly a decade into the life of new MINI, images of the stunning new MINI Coupe Concept are today released. Capturing the essence of MINI's sporting appeal, the global press and public will see the MINI Coupe Concept in the metal for the first time when it is unveiled at the Frankfurt Motor Show from 17-27 September 2009.

The MINI Coupe Concept is designed to be the most dynamic and agile MINI ever built. Strictly a two-seater, the low roof line, compact dimensions, perfect axle load distribution and lightweight construction are all trademarks of a genuine sports car.

A number of design icons feature on the MINI Coupe Concept. Large round headlights inclusive of black internal reflectors, a hexagonal radiator grille and low front spoiler mark the newcomer out as a true MINI. Unique exterior design cues include a bespoke rear spoiler, bonnet stripes extending to include the radiator grille and an entirely revised front air dam.

The muscular stance of the car is a result of carefully calculated exterior dimensions. The MINI Coupe Concept is 1,356 mm high and the steep rake of the A-pillars is accentuated by the high waistline common to every MINI. Sat on attractive 18" triple-tone finish light alloy wheels, the concept is 3,714mm in length and 1,683mm wide.

For the first time on a MINI, the weight-saving aluminium roof is an unbroken bridge shape and flows smoothly from A to C-pillars. The steep front rake stops above the heads of driver and front passenger and descends gently to the rear of the car, emphasising the wedge shape of the car and its sporty poise. The low rear end of the car ensures optimum air flow across the vehicle when in motion and in combination with the roof spoiler, minimises any aerodynamic interruption.

Inside, sports seats with strongly contoured side supports feature, as does a three-spoke leather sports steering wheel with multi-function controls. Two Chronoswiss clocks to the right and left of the rev counter provide a close link to earlier concept cars by MINI, bridging the gap between the analogue age of the classic Mini and the digital age of new MINI. One acts as a stop watch and the other a standard timepiece.

A luggage capacity of 250 litres is offered and can be accessed at the rear by a tailgate which is hinged above the roof spoiler, meaning easy access to goods stowed in the rear. The bulkhead between the passenger and luggage compartments comes with a lockable opening, giving passengers access to the rear section at any time.

The MINI Coupe Concept is engineered to receive the most powerful engine in the current MINI line-up. The highly-acclaimed 211hp, 1.6-litre twin scroll turbocharged power unit found in current John Cooper Works models offers CO2 emissions of just 165g/km and fuel efficiency of 40.9mpg (combined).

MINI's revered handling dynamics will be a highlight of the MINI Coupe Concept. Front wheel drive, powerful disc brakes on all four wheels, the front axle with McPherson spring struts and a centrally guided rear axle with aluminium longitudinal arms and anti-roll bars guarantee a safe, yet grin-inducing drive every time.

With a Crossover model in the final stages of development and Hatch, Clubman and Convertible models currently on the roads in nearly 80 countries worldwide, MINI aims to offer a varied and exciting range of small premium cars to customers in the coming years. MINIMALISM technologies including Brake Energy Regeneration, Shift Point Display and Auto Start/Stop are key reasons to buy a MINI and have helped to position MINI at the forefront of highly efficient and environmentally aware performance car production. These technologies are sure to feature on future MINI derivatives.

The MINI Coupe Concept takes traditional values of the MINI brand and combines them with the most advanced technologies to offer an exciting vision of the how MINI family may continue to grow.

Company press release, last updated on 08 / 26 / 2009
Source:http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/4...e-Concept.html
Old 08-26-09, 06:59 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

I kinda like it, but I think it looks like one of those old-school football helmet shaped carts that some NFL teams used...

EDIT: Like this one...

Old 08-26-09, 08:42 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Old 08-26-09, 09:07 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So, it's a Mini with less cargo room and two less seats, and will probably cost more. Awesome upgrade with the engine output though.

Yeah. I still wouldn't...
Old 08-26-09, 09:38 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Top does not match the bottom what so ever.
Old 08-27-09, 12:01 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boy that looks terrible. Seriously, are designers just lazy? Anybody can just alter the top 1/2 of a car.

They should have just done a speedster version and just chopped the roofline a 4-6 inches.
Old 08-27-09, 12:12 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

a smaller mini with less space. I guess it will sell to only single small people with small friends and pets. It looks cool but I think the Audi TT is as small as I would go. Is this supposed to compete with the Scion TC
Old 08-27-09, 06:12 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2010 Mini Coupe Concept

Hot looking Mini coming to a showroom near you in the near future...
Mini has unveiled this rather startling Coupe concept. It’s heading to Frankfurt next month, and on the evidence of these pictures, will be one of the show stars.

Happily, the whole concept of the car revolves around driving pleasure. Low weight and high power are the order of the day, and while the brand is calling it a prototype for now, we’d be mightily surprised if a version of the Mini Coupe doesn’t make it to production.

At the heart of the Coupe is the 1.6-litre turbo petrol engine from the John Cooper Works hot hatch, with an identical 208bhp and 192lb ft on tap (the latter climbing to 206lb ft via spells of overboost).

That car is manic enough, but with the lighter weight and lower centre of gravity (both achieved with that striking aluminium roof) on offer in the Coupe, as well as a host of potential chassis modifications, it should come close to being a proper sports car. It’ll remain front-engined and front-wheel drive, though.

You certainly won’t mistake it for anything else in the Mini range, or indeed any of its coupe rivals such as the Audi TT and Peugeot RCZ (which uses the same engine as the Coupe). While the car is still recognisably Mini – view it up to the window lines and it’s similar to the hatchback – the glasshouse and roof really stand out, making this the most daring new-age Mini yet. There’s some neat touches to distinguish it further from its siblings, with a body coloured grille (including the stripes) and colour inserts on the wheels as well as a trick rear diffuser.

Inside, the concept is pretty luxurious, with new additions including two Chronoswiss clocks that sit around the rev counter, one for taking lap times and the other displaying the time. There’s a small sniff of practicality, too - the tailgate opens at the rear spoiler, creating a hefty aperture.

The Mini Coupe concept is another leg of the car’s 50th birthday celebrations – there’s already been a big party, Silverstone’s Mini United – but this one has a bit more significance, the car being made public on August 26 2009, fifty years to the day since the first, classic incarnation of the car was first shown. http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/24...e_concept.html

Old 08-27-09, 06:18 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 08-27-09, 06:20 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Looks sharp... mid $30Ks price tag I'm guessing?
Old 08-27-09, 06:23 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

My god, I hope thats not the top they are going to use in the production car.
Old 08-27-09, 06:23 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Not really feeling the look but it's boosted so I like it ha ha.
Old 08-27-09, 07:36 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

I like it!
Old 08-27-09, 08:01 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

I have to see it in person, the roof is throwing me off, but a more agile, more capable mini sounds like magic to me!
Old 08-27-09, 08:18 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The roof looks like the head of a male you know what if you ask me

Quick Reply: 2009 Mini Coupe Concept