Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Mercedes reliability still an issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-09, 11:17 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Mercedes reliability still an issue?

I currently have a Audi S5 that I am almost over the tip on because of the motorboat handling. The thought of driving something more fun and sporty comes to my mind more frequently these days. So I am currently looking to trade to one of three cars, the IS-F, C63 or the M3. The M3 seems to be the most expensive out of these and the IS-F the cheapest. The IS-F I can almost get a even trade for a used IS-F while the C63 I would have to pay 3-5 grand and the M3 up to 10 grand depending on the options. I really like the C63 but my concern is the reliability as I don't want to visit the dealership every few months. Audi seems to have improved their reliability dramatically (as I have experienced), has Mercedes done the same? How reliable are the 2008+ model cars?
Old 06-20-09, 11:52 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I think so. Most cars these days are good for the initial warranty period but long term reliability and durability of Mercedes is questionable. I have been in many used Mercs and the interior is a concern for me.

Merecedes usually has a lot of new technologies which are not proven for durabilty and reliabilty.

Nobody can touch Lexus.
Old 06-21-09, 01:21 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Everyone has gotten better, but they are still not very high on most reliability rankings. The cars are to advanced . They are bound to have some electrical gremlins.
Old 06-21-09, 08:39 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by texan629
While honda isn't a luxury car and doesn't have as much electronic gizmos, it was ranked higher than lexus overall by consumer reports.
Once. Lexus by far is still the most reliable brand short/long term. Some brands beat Lexus once or twice, its never a trend

I've heard/read better things about Benz's new models. Not sure how this will hold over time.

Old 06-21-09, 09:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
I currently have a Audi S5 that I am almost over the tip on because of the motorboat handling.
a bit off topic, but the handling on the S5 isn't that great? kinda surprised!
Old 06-21-09, 10:24 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes Mercedes reliability is still an issue and Mercedes is well aware of it and is actually doing something constructive about it. The difference/improvement is very noticeable in recent truly new models such as the current gen C-class.
Old 06-21-09, 01:16 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
a bit off topic, but the handling on the S5 isn't that great? kinda surprised!

The S5 is not in the M3 class like the older S4s were. S5 doesn't drive sporty at all. I can't say the handling is bad because it will do okay in the track but the feel and the softness in the steering is just too much for me.
Old 06-21-09, 01:23 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes Mercedes reliability is still an issue and Mercedes is well aware of it and is actually doing something constructive about it. The difference/improvement is very noticeable in recent truly new models such as the current gen C-class.

Hmmm........
Old 06-21-09, 01:44 PM
HomieG
Driver

Now that Chryslers influence on Daimler Benz is gone, perhaps we'll see Mercedes return to their former reliability and durability. I have owned MB's for 23 years. Recently sold one, and replaced it with an '06 GS300. Had looked at some MB's, but did not think they were worth the money for what they were offering in terms of quality (lack thereof).
Old 06-21-09, 04:44 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
Hmmm........
Yes, you should be aware that a Mercedes (or BMW, Audi, Porsche) will rarely have the same level of reliability of a Lexus. But these premium German cars do have unique attributes.
Old 06-22-09, 05:10 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HomieG
Now that Chryslers influence on Daimler Benz is gone, perhaps we'll see Mercedes return to their former reliability and durability. I have owned MB's for 23 years. Recently sold one, and replaced it with an '06 GS300. Had looked at some MB's, but did not think they were worth the money for what they were offering in terms of quality (lack thereof).
Mercedes' quality started to go downhill before the "merger."

The biggest culprits were W210 E Class and the various SUVs/crossovers.
Old 06-22-09, 07:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by HomieG
Now that Chryslers influence on Daimler Benz is gone, perhaps we'll see Mercedes return to their former reliability and durability.
No.....Apples and Oranges. The Daimler-Chrysler merger happened in 1999. M-B's quality started to go downhill 4 or 5 years before that, in the mid-1990's. Up until that period, they built what was (arguably) the most durable mass-production car in the world, but when Lexus and Infiniti came along in 1990, M-B had real Japanese competiton for the first time (Acura, in 1986, only had a very minor effect), and, as a result of its cost-cutting, quality began to suffer.

There IS some evidence, now, that M-B may finally be getting some improved reliability again, but it has nothing to do with Chrysler.
Old 06-22-09, 11:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

lack of reliability is the trade off for the jet fighter type technology found in cars like the S class. The car has night vision, massaging seats, 4 zone AC, automatic everything, and radar sensing cruise control that will actually bring the car to a stop by itself. All of this is going to come with some electrical issues. I dont think a benz is the sype of car that will leave you stranded in a parking lot, but it will leave you stranded at the dealership service area ( luckily they provide loaners)
Old 06-22-09, 11:37 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Reliable or not, a E55 W211 AMG Kleeman II is one of very few cars I am considering for my next toy. Not a single Lexus made the list. Benz has stepped up their reliability it seems in recent years, still not at the level of Lexus, but better than it was. Sometimes reliable=boring, not enough wrench time for my tools.
Old 06-22-09, 11:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I will admit that the Lexus has still not been able to recreate the excitement of the German car. The germans just really know how to dial in a suspension for serious driving dynamics. Unfortunately for them most people realize that they are not ripping it around corners all of the time

Quick Reply: Is Mercedes reliability still an issue?