Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Mercedes reliability still an issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-09, 09:04 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I6turbo
I've owned several MB's (starting back when they WERE actually the best car built), BMW's, and one Audi. I can't for the life of me understand why they can't/won't get their reliability issues sorted out. If they did that one thing, they'd conquer the automotive world. Can't they just get Toyota to design their electrical systems for them??? That right there would fix most of their problems.
Wow I've seen you have a lot of German cars in some of the darker years of German reliability and that was some time ago.......................... Fortunately some progress was made since then.
Old 06-25-09, 10:30 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
LOL,

I haven't heard any MB claims of "our cars are reliable now". They are smarter than trying to advertise their way out of a problem I think. Where have you seen this claim in any of their advertisements?
I didn't say that it's MB corporate advertising -- that'd be as dumb as Oldsmobile's "This is not your father's Oldsmobile" campaign -- manage to alienate BOTH your core customer base and your targeted future customer base all with one ill-conceived effort. LOL

I'm talking about the MB dealers (when you're shopping/test driving and inquire about warranty, etc.) and MB internet defenders who are always claiming that things have suddenly turned the corner, reliability wise. Funny thing is it's ALWAYS this "latest generation" that has suddenly gotten better. I'm just stating what I've seen for the past many years -- if they have actually gotten better, that's great -- I might try owning one again in the future once there's some convincing evidence. I have several friends and family with MB's, so I have a good opportunity to keep up with their progress via that route. Frankly, the only MB that really interests me to actually own (in my personal vehicle/family situation) is the S550 Sport as a potential replacement for the LS. I've driven the GL450 thinking of trading my GX for it but very surprisingly to me found that it was rough-riding and noisy compared even to the Lexus GX, and forget about comparing with the LX.

Last edited by I6turbo; 06-25-09 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-25-09, 10:34 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't say that it's MB corporate advertising -- that'd be as dumb as Oldsmobile's "This is not your father's Oldsmobile" campaign -- manage to alienate your core customer base and your targeted future customer base all with one ill-conceived phrase. LOL

I'm talking about the MB dealers (when you're shopping/test driving and inquire about warranty, etc.) and MB internet defenders who are always claiming that things have suddenly turned the corner, reliability wise. Funny thing is it's ALWAYS this "latest generation" that has suddenly gotten better. I'm just stating what I've seen for the past many years -- if they have actually gotten better, that's great -- I might try owning one again in the future once there's some convincing evidence.
I see, now that you clarified who's saying this hype. I haven't heard it from the 2 dealers here, I guess they don't want to alienate their core base here. But I've noticed difference/change in the last 2 Benz's owned (C-classes my2001 vs my2008).
Old 06-25-09, 10:50 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

According to an article written two or three years ago by Gordon Murray (McLaren), the MB board more or less showed MB management an open grave and charged them with bringing reliability in line with modern standards before they went off on any other SLR type escapades or any other specialty car pursuits. Assuming that was the truth -- or something otherwise caused them to wake up and realize what they were squandering by not having the reputation for reliabilty -- maybe they are now on the right track. I hope so -- I am not an MB hater, but just a believer that a manufacturer shouldn't "push their envelope" for mainstream vehicles beyond what they can make reliable.
Old 06-25-09, 11:22 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

According to an article written two or three years ago by Gordon Murray (McLaren), the MB board more or less showed MB management an open grave and charged them with bringing reliability in line with modern standards before they went off on any other SLR type escapades or any other specialty car pursuits. Assuming that was the truth -- or something otherwise caused them to wake up and realize what they were squandering by not having the reputation for reliabilty -- maybe they are now on the right track. I hope so -- I am not an MB hater, but just a believer that a manufacturer shouldn't "push their envelope" for mainstream vehicles beyond what they can make reliable.
Must have been a good article. I share your opinion that a premium car should have at least decent reliability, even if they can't quite get to Lexus/Toyota reliability-levels overnight.
Old 06-25-09, 12:04 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmm, I'm not going by other people opinions or a magazine. My first Mb 02CL500 was a nightmare in maintenance. At times I was afraid to even drive the car. But when she was working right man she excuse fellas a (Harlot puller). I traded in my CL for a CLS over 9 months ago and let me tell their reliability has gotten better. My CLS has every option in the book. Mercedes is no Lexus or Acura but they have gotten better.
Old 06-25-09, 01:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
Hmm, I'm not going by other people opinions or a magazine. My first Mb 02CL500 was a nightmare in maintenance. At times I was afraid to even drive the car. But when she was working right man she excuse fellas a (Harlot puller). I traded in my CL for a CLS over 9 months ago and let me tell their reliability has gotten better. My CLS has every option in the book. Mercedes is no Lexus or Acura but they have gotten better.
they are definitely getting better. the unlucky CL was on the list of having most problems, it's just horrible. but in recent yrs it's gone way better
Old 06-25-09, 01:52 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogers2
What year is the CLS, and best of luck with that one.
Old 06-25-09, 03:37 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Real garage queen My 03 SC430 was too, but it has roughly 34k miles now, I've been putting more miles on ever since it became my dd after I traded the G35c for the LS460L.
Yeah, but it was a stupid mistake.
Should've drove it more so when the parts broke, it would've been covered under warranty