Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

LS430 vs LS460

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-08, 08:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

ls430 looks like a car for 50 yr old. ls460 lowers that "age" factor by a lot. that's why my wife allowed me to get the ls460 when i wasn't even 30.
The LS430 was not so much a car for a 50-year-old in age as it was for a 50-year-old's WALLET. It was simply too expensive a car, especially brand-new, for a lot of younger people to afford. But, for those young people who like comfort and refinement in a car, there is no reason why they can't drive one and enjoy it...........the idea that the LS, even the older LS400 and LS430, is an "old person's car" is, like most auto stereotypes, nonsense.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-02-08 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-02-08, 08:57 PM
duncan73
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Woman's age!

Never, Never, Never, Ever Reveal A Woman's Age! Lol
Old 09-02-08, 10:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The LS430 was not so much a car for a 50-year-old in age as it was for a 50-year-old's WALLET. It was simply too expensive a car, especially brand-new, for a lot of younger people to afford. But, for those young people who like comfort and refinement in a car, there is no reason why they can't drive one and enjoy it...........the idea that the LS, even the older LS400 and LS430, is an "old person's car" is, like most auto stereotypes, nonsense.
you are entitled to your opinion, but from all the people i talk to, ls430 (stock) is very conservative and bland looking. this is not just from me and my wife, it's from at least another 10 people i talk to

and money plays small roll here. sc430 was similar to ls430 in terms of price range, and of all the sc430 i have seen, the drivers are much younger. i can easily name another 4-5 60k car where the age of owners are younger as well.

Last edited by rominl; 09-02-08 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-03-08, 12:33 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thought that the LS430 is an old person's car is just as much a misnomer as saying the LS460 is a younger persons car.

The same people that see the 430 as bland, are the same that can't see some similarities of the 460 and the Camry.

Although I am certain that this mirroring of body lines is pure happenstance.

Last edited by emoshun; 09-03-08 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-03-08, 12:41 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

I am being absolutely objective in my comparison, this is what Im basing my previous comment off of.
Attached Thumbnails LS430 vs LS460-cam2ls.jpg  

Last edited by emoshun; 09-03-08 at 01:19 AM.
Old 09-03-08, 05:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
you are entitled to your opinion, but from all the people i talk to, ls430 (stock) is very conservative and bland looking. this is not just from me and my wife, it's from at least another 10 people i talk to
Oh, I'm not saying that there is no stereotype with the LS430. Obviously, there is.........but it just shows that a lot of people BELIEVE that stereotype, needlessly.

A lot of people can believe something; that does not necesarily make it true. I know old people (by "old", I mean 60+) who drive sports cars, and young people (by "young", I mean under 25) who drive Buicks. In my own 40 years of driving and reviewing cars, I've found that stereotypes DO exist, but, for all practical terms, are nonsense. They ARE stereotypes, often promoted by the automotive press, primarily because people BELIEVE them, not necessarily because they are fact.

So, what you say is true, but because it is true in people's minds, not necessarily in actual fact.
Old 09-03-08, 05:56 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Seriously, these two cars look so much alike. I would think that Lexus would design an LS that deviates from the Camry. The 92 Camry looks like the LS of the same year and so an and so forth. The only exception being the LS430 which to me looks like the 1995 Mercedes S class below.

I would go with the LS430 for its exclusiveness.
Old 09-03-08, 06:28 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Oh, I'm not saying that there is no stereotype with the LS430. Obviously, there is.........but it just shows that a lot of people BELIEVE that stereotype, needlessly.

A lot of people can believe something; that does not necesarily make it true. I know old people (by "old", I mean 60+) who drive sports cars, and young people (by "young", I mean under 25) who drive Buicks. In my own 40 years of driving and reviewing cars, I've found that stereotypes DO exist, but, for all practical terms, are nonsense. They ARE stereotypes, often promoted by the automotive press, primarily because people BELIEVE them, not necessarily because they are fact.

So, what you say is true, but because it is true in people's minds, not necessarily in actual fact.
I completely agree with your view on stereotypes, but for some reason, certain cars appeal to older buyers. Why? Who knows, but it sure does happen. When it does, the hard numbers show a high percentage of older buyers purchase/perfer certain cars (Lucerene, Town Car, LS, ES etc.). When those percentages get high, then the car in question is viewed as an older persons car. In most cases that's based on who bought the car and not due to the press making it so. It's probably something that's not going to change any time soon.
Old 09-03-08, 07:25 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 580 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Seriously, these two cars look so much alike. I would think that Lexus would design an LS that deviates from the Camry. The 92 Camry looks like the LS of the same year and so an and so forth. The only exception being the LS430 which to me looks like the 1995 Mercedes S class below.
Agreed. When the new body style Camry and LS came out I had a bit of trouble differentiating them at first. IMO the IS300 and one of the older Corolla's shared a similar design as well, although they did adjust the Corolla afterwards.
Old 09-03-08, 07:30 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER

I would go with the LS430 for its exclusiveness.
you mean like the 116i that has same front as 760i?

Double standards, eh?
Old 09-03-08, 08:02 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 580 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
you mean like the 116i that has same front as 760i?

Double standards, eh?
Family resemblance is fine, just look at Audi's line up. But Audi's shouldn't look like VWs *ahem* and Toyota's shouldn't look like Lexus IMO
Old 09-03-08, 08:23 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Family resemblance is fine, just look at Audi's line up. But Audi's shouldn't look like VWs *ahem* and Toyota's shouldn't look like Lexus IMO
x2

At first I thought the LS460 and Camry looked similar but only because of quick glances. If I looked at the car for longer than a split second, then I can tell what it is. Obviously they are not one in the same car.
Old 09-03-08, 01:03 PM
lfeharri
Driver

I agree with you mmarshall. Cars like Lambos and Ferraris do appeal to "young" people.. but the only people that actually have the cars are people of "older" age. I mean, seriously, what kid will be able to afford a 6 figure car? I'm sure a few can, but the majority of these people tend to be "older", even though cars of that caliber are "supposed" to be driven by younger people.
Old 09-03-08, 02:32 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

hmm well mmarshall if it makes any difference im 15 and find the ls430 the pefect car for me, i love it's floaty ride and smooth acceleration so much so that i find the current 7 series to sporty for m so id rather have the ls430 haha
Old 09-03-08, 07:00 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the later model of the LS 430 (celsor) and I like the stying on that car. I have put a few mods on it and lowered it, but it still looks good to me.

Here is a pic on how this car should be moded.

Quick Reply: LS430 vs LS460