Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus new compact SUV

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-11, 09:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
must. stop. influx of suvs. everywhere. make it stop. pleeaaassssseeeee.
why? suvs and cuvs are so much more useful than sedans! the trend will continue to less sedans and more suvs/cuvs/hatches.
Old 07-06-11, 09:17 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
I agree about the more appeal. I feel that with these FWD chassis they have limited amounts of performance applications.
are you referring to lexus SUVs in general or specifically about the RX? because the RX450h does come in AWD.

Take the 1-series. It can incorporate engines ranging from a 114 hp 2.0 4-cylinder diesel all the way to the 335 hp twin turbo I6 in the 1 M. also the Audi A3 which has power ranging from the 140 hp 2.0 TDI to the 332 hp 2.5 turbo I5. I would like to see Lexus do some performance of their lower products.
if you are referring to hp only, the RX450h maxes out at 300 hp (combined gas/hybrid performance). it won't win any street races vs a bmw that has a twin turbo, but it is peppy enough to accelerate smoothly and quickly (for a hybrid SUV).

Last edited by Stormforge; 07-06-11 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-06-11, 09:37 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a good move.

Product diversification is the key to survival in todays automobile industry. And Lexus is lagging behind in that regard with certain models for other markets.

I'd like to see an IS and GS wagon and perhaps a "4-door-coupe" based on the GS, the next-generation, of course. Diesel engines would be nice, to.

Also, Lexus could use a lifestyle product, something fun and sporty, like a Z4, TT and SLK rival (and SL / 6er as well).
Old 07-06-11, 09:52 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i disagree as the venza is already 3800lbs and doesn't really have a lot of useful space (too low). a more plush version would be an even more porky vehicle.

the venza is toyota's version of the dodge magnum, not much use!

The car buying public has spoken. Thru June Venza sales = 18k and RX = 40k (at a higher price point).
Old 07-06-11, 09:53 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stormforge
are you referring to lexus SUVs in general or specifically about the RX? because the RX450h does come in AWD.

if you are referring to hp only, the RX450h maxes out at 300 hp (combined gas/hybrid performance). it won't win any street races vs a bmw that has a twin turbo, but it is peppy enough to accelerate smoothly and quickly (for a hybrid SUV).
Maybe I'm skipping too far ahead. I mean I would like to see some sort of high performance product that slots below the Lexus IS-F aka some sort of Audi RS3 or BMW 1 M competitor. Using these mainstream based FWD platforms for their lower level Lexus products I just don't see how they can do it. Even the Audi Q3 and BMW X1 have planned higher performance models for these two products. I would like to see Lexus provide some sort of competition in the near future.

They can still have fuel efficient powertrains just offer something more.
Old 07-06-11, 10:07 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

Q3 is FWD with an option for quattro by the way
Old 07-06-11, 10:15 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Allen K
So are the Audi TT and Audi A3. Volkswagen engineered their platform to incorporate that 330+ hp 2.5 turbo I5, AWD and a 7-speed dual clutch auto. I don't think the Toyota Avensis platform was designed for that many additions.
Old 07-06-11, 10:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

So are the Audi TT and Audi A3. Volkswagen engineered their platform to incorporate that 330+ hp 2.5 turbo I5, AWD and a 7-speed dual clutch auto. I don't think the Toyota Avensis platform was designed for that many additions.
what does avensis has to do with anything? Thats not how Toyota "platforms" work anyway.

Rav4 already has 270hp V6 engine and AWD.
Old 07-06-11, 10:25 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
what does avensis has to do with anything? Thats not how Toyota "platforms" work anyway.

Rav4 already has 270hp V6 engine and AWD.
All I'm saying is I would like Lexus to bring out fuel efficient engines as well as high powered powertrains for their entry level products. If they could make a 270 hp AWD Lexus CT that would be awesome.(comparable to the Audi S3.)
Old 07-06-11, 10:41 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

I'm sure they could and it would be cool. But they probably won't because it won't make enough money
Old 07-06-11, 11:14 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

why? suvs and cuvs are so much more useful than sedans! the trend will continue to less sedans and more suvs/cuvs/hatches.
Hatches and wagons are far more useful than SUVs/CUVs that will never see off road and in fact even more useful when you consider half of them couldn't off road worth a damn. Consider also that more SUVs = more useless crappy cars to offset dive in average fuel economy that having more SUVs bring along with it.

The RX is what the market wants... other makers just couldn't find a way to compete, so the shoot above and below to try and gain market.... Lexus would be chasing their own tail following them. What advantage does an X3 have besides ground clearance that you couldn't get in an awd CT?
Old 07-06-11, 11:37 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Allen K
Gotta love the double standard.....

Old 07-06-11, 04:43 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What Lexus really needs to do (and I don't know why the product-planners keep resisting it) is to do a more-plush version of the Toyota Venza. It would, IMO, be the perfect entry-level Lexus crossover....and would also save time and money in design by not having to re-engineer a sedan platform like the IS or GS.
I agree 100%. If Lexus had a venza, which would be a bit smaller than the RX (although i know both are on the camry platform), but more practical than the IS/ES/GS, and priced right (a bit below the rx), i would jump in a heartbeat for it! I really hope the "baby RX" is true and comes out soon!
Old 07-06-11, 07:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

i disagree as the venza is already 3800lbs and doesn't really have a lot of useful space (too low). a more plush version would be an even more porky vehicle.
I don't see how that weight class would make a difference. Many small-to-medium size SUVs and CUVs are already in the 3500-4000 lb. (and up) class anyway, particularly those wth V6s and from premium-manufacturers with a lot of standard equipment.

the venza is toyota's version of the dodge magnum
Fine. IMO, we need more vehicles of that type on the market, not less.....particularly with AWD.
Old 07-06-11, 07:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Isn't that basically called the RX350? They all share the Camry's platform already.
No. I'd consider the Venza (and a possible Lexus-version of it) a raised-suspension AWD wagon, like the Subaru Outback and Volvo XC70 Cross-Country (though, unlike Subies, some Venzas come in FWD). The RX350, as I see it, is more of a conventional higher-stance car-based SUV, not a wagon.

Quick Reply: Lexus new compact SUV