Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

SCION's new ad: "Just as hideous as it used to be."

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-07, 06:35 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ scion does not care about you. Lexus might though
Old 04-28-07, 06:52 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MR_F1
^^ scion does not care about you. Lexus might though
I thought young males with disposable income are Scion's target market? Not to be cocky but maybe I have too much disposable income and can actually afford a performance car?

Lexus doesn't really appeal to me either. I don't like to generalize brands, but there's nothing in the current Lexus lineup that interests me. I bought a GS400 last summer because I always loved that car back in high school. The first gen SC400 was cool too, but besides those 2, Lexus hasn't really made a car I would consider purchasing, although I can understand why other people would buy them. I honestly can't understand why anybody young and male would want a Scion
Old 04-28-07, 07:17 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Maybe because not all young males have disposable incomes?
Old 04-28-07, 07:26 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Maybe because not all young males have disposable incomes?
That's true, but there are plenty of other similarly priced cars out there (new and used) that are more appealing to me than any Scion
Old 04-28-07, 07:48 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

thetopdog:

Yeah, your not a Scion customer. Scion buyers are typically young people who make around $8-12/hr and need basic but reliable transportation and want something different than a Corolla.

I'm 28 and think Scions are great. Plus, half the Scions I see are driven by people 40 and older. They seem to appeal to a much broader customer base than planned.
Old 04-28-07, 09:22 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks better than the previous model, but still wacky.
I'll take my Lexus any day....
Old 04-29-07, 01:19 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JLSC4
thetopdog:

Yeah, your not a Scion customer. Scion buyers are typically young people who make around $8-12/hr and need basic but reliable transportation and want something different than a Corolla.
I guess the point that I was trying to make is that even if I made $6/hr I still wouldn't consider any of their cars. The TC is OK I guess, but the xA and xB are pathetic attempts in my opinion

Obviously not everybody shares my viewpoint but I still fail to see how they market a car to young males that has no power, and is totally devoid of sex appeal. The 2 things I care about most in a car are 1)Power/Handling/Performance, 2)Beauty. I assumed most young guys agree with me but I guess I might be wrong
Old 04-29-07, 07:09 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
Obviously not everybody shares my viewpoint but I still fail to see how they market a car to young males that has no power, and is totally devoid of sex appeal. The 2 things I care about most in a car are 1)Power/Handling/Performance, 2)Beauty. I assumed most young guys agree with me but I guess I might be wrong
Most people want performance and beauty. There is nothing wrong with that.

But for most people, when they only have a $20k budget, most people need functionality and cost-effectiveness. At that budget, most people are willing to sacrifice performance, especially if the car is used for everyday driving in traffic.

And Beauty is subjective; some people like the look of the xA and xB because of it's uniqueness, and that's why people would rather spend $$$ on modding and personalizing Scions, instead of getting something stock with more bells and whistles that's more expensive. For example, I find Lambos ugly looking, but it makes me like it no less than my IS or an xB...
Old 04-29-07, 07:19 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

When I saw this ad and those sayings, for some reason I thought of that 2Live Crew album, as nasty as they want to be and their clean version as clean as they want to be. Growing up in South Florida will do that to you.
Old 04-30-07, 10:29 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not to mention the xB outsold the xA 2:1
Old 04-30-07, 03:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
I guess the point that I was trying to make is that even if I made $6/hr I still wouldn't consider any of their cars. The TC is OK I guess, but the xA and xB are pathetic attempts in my opinion

Actually, they tested new xB vs Civic, Mazda 3, and old xB.

In fact, new xB was the best out of bunch, and only lost braking test to Mazda 3. And yes, in slalom, new xB was faster, as well as in power... so performance wise, it is quite hot for under 20k car.
Old 05-01-07, 03:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
thetopdog:

I'm 28 and think Scions are great. Plus, half the Scions I see are driven by people 40 and older. They seem to appeal to a much broader customer base than planned.
Scions, except for the tC, are indeed popular with many older people, who like them for their low price, high quality, dependability, gas mileage, and space efficiency inside. Of course, the older folks, in most cases, are not going to buy the flashy dealer accessories that some of the young tuners and customizers do.