Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota satisfied with number of U.S. dealers

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-07, 07:28 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Toyota satisfied with number of U.S. dealers

Toyota satisfied with number of U.S. dealers
Posted Apr 27th 2007 9:36AM by Chris Shunk

Toyota's US sales have been booming for years, with annual volume growth of 10-percent or more the norm, and profits that beat all other automakers, hands-down. One area where Toyota has fought growth, however, is in the quantity of dealers it has in the US, and if you believe North American President Jim Press, that isn't going to change, either.

In an interview with Automotive News, Press underscored how important it is to have profitable dealers, and how adding more dealerships would dilute the investments of Toyota's 1,445 existing stores. In return, Toyota looks for dealers to focus on improving customer satisfaction, and adding investment dollars into their existing infrastructure. Press likened Toyota dealerships as large corporations, with many long time employees and great service departments.

The average Toyota dealership sells over 1,800 vehicles per year, which is about three times as many sales as the typical Ford dealership. We're not surprised that Toyota isn't growing its dealer-base, especially considering the amount of costs domestic automakers are incurring to right-size their sales outlets. It never ceases to amaze us how much discipline Toyota has when it comes to running their uber-successful business.

[Source: Automotive News (subscription req'd)]
via autoblog
Old 04-28-07, 07:39 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

always have great ideas. Rather than spamming more dealerships I would rather upgrade existing ones instead. IMO its better to have a smaller number of higher quality dealerships than a buncha of lesser quality ones.
Old 04-28-07, 08:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Not necessarily just with Toyota, but with the whole auto industry in general, the tendency seems to be for the disappearance of smaller mom-and-pop dealerships and the gathering of more and more of the retail auto sales buisness into big dealership chains owned by large families. Longo Toyota and Lexus, in CA, are good examples, and well-known ones here on CL.

In my part of the country, the D.C area (the second-largest new car market in the country outside SoCal), good examples are the big dealership chains belonging to the Koons, Fitzgerald, Rosenthal, Coleman, Ourisman, Stohlman, and Brown families. Each one of these chains may have literally dozens of dealerships (often huge in size) and sell dozens of different brands of vehicles. The smaller dealerships are rapidly disappearing.

Koons Tysons Toyota, for example, is enormous.....one of the largest in the country. That place has to be seen to believed.
Old 04-28-07, 09:07 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a great idea. Instead of trying to focus on quantity of dealers to achieve more sales, Toyota is focusing on the quality of *each dealer*, so good customer satisfaction and a unique dealership experience is what will attract more customers. Plus, Toyota's dealer ratings will go up.
Old 04-28-07, 10:48 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not necessarily just with Toyota, but with the whole auto industry in general, the tendency seems to be for the disappearance of smaller mom-and-pop dealerships and the gathering of more and more of the retail auto sales buisness into big dealership chains owned by large families. Longo Toyota and Lexus, in CA, are good examples, and well-known ones here on CL.

In my part of the country, the D.C area (the second-largest new car market in the country outside SoCal), good examples are the big dealership chains belonging to the Koons, Fitzgerald, Rosenthal, Coleman, Ourisman, Stohlman, and Brown families. Each one of these chains may have literally dozens of dealerships (often huge in size) and sell dozens of different brands of vehicles. The smaller dealerships are rapidly disappearing.

Koons Tysons Toyota, for example, is enormous.....one of the largest in the country. That place has to be seen to believed.
In addition, there are quite a few Lexus dealers up there compared to other metro areas.
Old 04-28-07, 11:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexmex
In addition, there are quite a few Lexus dealers up there compared to other metro areas.
Like in SoCal, a lot of people around here, in this high-income area, have $$$ to spend on a car.
But it is actually leasing, more so than buying, that keeps a lot of luxury-car dealers in buisness...here as well as elsewhere. People can often get more car for their $$$ by leasing instead of buying, especially if they don't drive a lot of miles, are easy on their cars, and take care of them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-28-07 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-28-07, 04:23 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexmex
There's a demand for luxury import cars here. Quite a few Lexus, BMW, MB, and even Porsche. And yes, I do know where the Ferrari/Masarati dealer is.
Old 04-28-07, 06:01 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta

via autoblog
That's a nice looking dealership. North Park Toyota is located just Northwest outside of San Antonio in a suburb called Boerne. It's about time they opened a Toyota dealer there. North Park also owns a host of other dealerships in San Antonio including Lexus of San Antonio.
Old 04-30-07, 06:21 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
That's a nice looking dealership. North Park Toyota is located just Northwest outside of San Antonio in a suburb called Boerne. It's about time they opened a Toyota dealer there. North Park also owns a host of other dealerships in San Antonio including Lexus of San Antonio.
The Lexus dealer in SA is in a congested part of town and a cramped facility to boot. Would be nice to move it 'out west' since that is where the city is moving. MB just opened a new dealership out there, not far from the Toyota facility. Would think it would be something Lexus is looking at.

Another reason Toyota doesn't want to expand the number of dealerships is they are devilishly hard to get rid of. Once a dealer has a franchise they can't be terminated easily. When GM axed Oldsmobile it cost a lot of money to compensate the franchisees. So GM struggles with Pontiac and Buick, two brands that have lost all sense of worth in the marketplace. They should be shuttered, but GM probably can't afford the cash drain. The same thing occurs with Ford, they have way too many mediocre dealers selling too few cars. Take a look at the number of Ford or Chevy dealers in a large metropolitan area; there is huge number to choose from. Not so with the Japanese labels.
Old 04-30-07, 08:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Evitzee
When GM axed Oldsmobile it cost a lot of money to compensate the franchisees. So GM struggles with Pontiac and Buick, two brands that have lost all sense of worth in the marketplace. They should be shuttered, but GM probably can't afford the cash drain.
Don't sell Buick short. They have an enormously loyal and widespread core of customers, and guess what? Surprise.....they aren't all Grandpas or Grandmas, either, contrary to popular "image".
Old 04-30-07, 08:46 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Don't sell Buick short. They have an enormously loyal and widespread core of customers, and guess what? Surprise.....they aren't all Grandpas or Grandmas, either, contrary to popular "image".
Quoting John McEnroe, "You cannot be serious". My 80 year father in law drives a Buick LeSabre, and my long dead grandfather, a doctor, drove a 1956 Buick. Dark green with velour interior. 'Nough said. They may have a loyal following......but they are DYING OFF! Name one Buick that any one under the age of 40 can identify with. Has anyone here ever considered shopping at a Buick showroom? Look at who Buick advertises to, it's old guys through their golf connection, Tiger Woods. Tiger's great, but young guys aren't buying Buicks. It's a dead brand, just like Pontiac, and Plymouth, and Oldsmobile, and Packard, and, and...... This is why GM struggles, they cannot, for reasons of franchisees and the unions, do what they should do and that is cut the number of brands. Toyota can cover the market with Toyota, Lexus and Scion .... just three nameplates. And how many does GM have ...... Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, Cadillac, Saturn, GMC, Hummer. Seven brands that have less market share than Toyota's three brands? The answer is obvious ...... get rid of the deadwood.

If you asked me to drive directly to the nearest Buick dealer for a million dollars I could not honestly do that. I have no idea where my closest Buick dealer is.

I was reading the other day that the Big 3 know they have lost the Boomer Generation ..... their hope is the young people growing up now who have no history with their schlocky past product. Maybe that will work, but you have to have product that is current and relative to the younger set. Why didn't GM develop a Scion-like vehicle, Mini, Beetle? The only breakthrough was Chrysler's PT Cruiser, but that was a long time ago.

Last edited by Evitzee; 04-30-07 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-30-07, 09:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,133 Likes on 1,382 Posts

I've no problem with Toyota not adding dealerships but in FL at least there aren't enough Lexus dealerships. I sold my Lexus partially because the nearest dealer is 90 miles away. And I don't live in a hick town, we have Porsche, BMW, Cadillac, and other big name dealers here.
Old 04-30-07, 09:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,133 Likes on 1,382 Posts

And Buick is the number 1 luxury car brand in China I believe, right?
Old 04-30-07, 09:41 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
And Buick is the number 1 luxury car brand in China I believe, right?
I believe that is correct. So what do the Chinese see in the Buick name? I believe it is probably some sort of romantic image of America in the 50's & 60's while they were getting hammered by Chairman Mao and Company. I wouldn't read too much into that statistic.
Old 05-01-07, 03:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Quoting John McEnroe, "You cannot be serious". They may have a loyal following......but they are DYING OFF! Name one Buick that any one under the age of 40 can identify with.
I had two Buicks in my teenage years, along, of course, with the more traditional muscle cars of my 60's-70's genration...and liked them both. So did one of my closest teenage friends...he had one too, and liked it.

If you asked me to drive directly to the nearest Buick dealer for a million dollars I could not honestly do that. I have no idea where my closest Buick dealer is.
I'm not asking you to drive to the nearest Buick dealer. They will do just fine....without your money.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-01-07 at 03:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Toyota satisfied with number of U.S. dealers